Our Lady Well, Woolpit
According to The Legendary Lore of the Holy Wells of England by Robert Charles Hope (1893), ‘Near the church is the famous well of “Our Lady,” to which pilgrimages were wont to be made in days of yore.’
The following description is from Gough’s 1789 Britannia, ‘.a spring which is called Our Ladys Spring, that the inhabitants have traditional report….that there was a chapel near the spring, but there is no remains of it. The spring is a square and bricked and supplies a large moat with very clear water.’
Modern tests in the 1970’s suggest that it has a high sulphur content.