St Andrew’s Well, Kirkandrews-upon-Eden
‘Only one well has been discovered dedicated to St. Andrew in the county, which is situated in the churchyard of Kirkandrews-on-Eden, and is not affected by the most intense frost or the longest drought. It is another of the many instances where holy wells were used for sacred purposes, placed conveniently for the service of the church.’ [The Legendary Lore of the Holy Wells of England by Robert Charles Hope (1893)
The well stood in the graveyard of the former medieval Church of St Andrew. The church itself is long gone and was probably demolished between 1687 and 1692.
The Roman Hadrian’s Wall ran beside the site of the Well and a Mile Castle was situated very close to it.