The following article by Richard Catton and entitled ‘ Another York pub, The Ship Inn, Acaster Malbis, plagued by ghosts’ was published in The York Press on 13th June 2009. A MYSTERIOUS grey figure...
Category: Haunted Pubs
The Albion is a pub that can be found on Upper Gate Street in the old and historic town of Conwy. It was built in around 1925, on the site of two older inns, to be a modern building in the style of the day.
Champion jockey Fred Archer grew up at The Kings Arms as his father was the landlord there between 1861 and 1873. Prior to this his mother’s father was the landlord. Archer is associated with haunting Newmarket Racecourse and possibly around The Kings Arms which is now a carvery.
Ye Olde White Harte on Silver Street is a Grade II listed building with strong links to the English Civil War and a reputation of being haunted. Built around 1550, the building became a public house in the late 18th century. However, it was in this building, in the "plotting parlour" above the back bar, that on 23 April 1642, a fateful decision was made.
There is a story that an apparition of a man has been seen sitting at the bar with a pint of beer. It has been suggested that it could be the ghost a man who killed himself in the cellar. This haunting is mentioned on several websites but I am unsure of its origin.
The Old Queens Head public house is a Grade II listed building that dates from 1475 and is thought to be the oldest domestic building in Sheffield.
Found on Hackins Hey, Ye Hole In Ye Wall is Liverpool’s oldest public house and dates from 1726. The landlord, Stephen Hoy gives the following description of the pub and its ghosts on Ye Hole In Ye Wall’s website. ‘Sitting with a pint of Liverpool’s finest, you can’t help but feel these walls contain many a story.
The Crown public house in Middlebrough is currently closed. The building dates from 1923 and was originally a cinema before becoming a Bingo Hall and pub.
The Swatter’s Carr is a Weatherspoons public house that opened in 2011. Having previously been known as The Tavern, the House, Hogshead, The Empire or Empire Hotel, it has now reverted to back its name on the 1891 census. The name Swatter’s Carr was possibly taken from a farmhouse dating from the 17th century that stood in the vacinity.