You are hereEngland
Shervage Wood has is home to a number of traditions, perhaps because it was once perceived as being enchanted. In legend and folklore the wood was the home of a dragon known as The Gurt Vurm of Shervage Wood. The dragon was said to have the girth of at least three mature oak trees, and was the bane of the local villages eating cattle and making a general nuisance of itself. Read More »
Poltergeist activity experienced within the pub has been explained as the ghost of Harry Franklin, a former manager who committed suicide in gruesome circumstances.
On 18 July 1963 a large cat was seen by a lorry driver traveling up the western side of Shooters Hill. He saw what he thought was an injured animal, possibly a dog and stopped to give it assistance. The animal got up and fled into the woods. It had a curled tail and was golden in colour. It had some prey in its mouth and it appears that the driver disturbed ait whilst it was feeding. Read More »
Roy Palmer in his 'The Folklore Of Warwickshire (1976)' refers to the following haunting case in he West Midlands, though I have not been able to discover any further details. 'People living in a house at Short Heath, Birmingham, have heard a noisy ghost, thought to be female, banging about and leaving the smell of perfume behind her.'
The Shrewsbury Arms is haunted by a seemingly benign chap nicknamed Old Joe. He is a figure in a cloth cap who has been seen in the cellar and walking around the bar after the pub is closed. He has been seen by a number of people over the years but there is no clue as to why he is associated with the pub. Read More »
The Shrieking Pond or Shrieking Pit is a pool near Hungry Hill that is said to be haunted by the ghost of woman who drowned there in 1780.
Shute Shelve Hill stands at 764ft overlooking the town of Axbridge. In the 17th century Shute Shelve was used as a site of public execution and is thought to be haunted a woman and two men that were hanged there for the murder of the womans husband.
This hill is the biggest man made mound in Europe. It is 130 feet high and 100 feet across its flat top surface.
The hill was built around 2500BC, formed with some of the chalk from the great henge at Avebury, and built in a complex lattice structure of in-filled chalk walls. Read More »
Sinnoden Hill standing next to Harp hill, was once a Roman Fort during the period of their occupation. Legend suggests that there is buried treasure on the hill, hidden in Roman times in an area called the money pit. Read More »
Thought to be the site of monks hospital, Spittal Hill can be found at the end of Fox Hole Lane on the A52 and it has a repution of being the haunt of a shag-foal. Read More »
The six hills which occupy prominence in the town are tumuli or Round Barrows dating from the Bronze Age. According to legend the hills are spade fulls of earth taken from Whomerly wood and thrown at the town by a giant (or the Devil) intent on destruction. His last shot went well off mark and knocked the steeple off Gravely Church two miles away. Read More »
Skipsea Castle dates from around 1086 and was one of the early Norman period Motte and Bailey Castles. The remains of the castle which was destroyed in 1221 when William de Froz II rebelled against King Henry III (born 1 October 1207 – died 16 November 1272) are traditionally thought to be haunted by a white lady, the wife of Drogo de la Bouerer, who founded the castle. Read More »
There is a ghost legend attached to Slaptonbury Mill, of which not even ruins remain. Read More »
According to David Taylor's excellent article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', in May 1909, multiple witnesses saw a cigar shaped airship, without lights, passing overhead on several consecutive nights.
The sale of meat at Smithfield can be traced back over 800 years and in the 17th century an apparition of a horned figure reputedly terrorized the area leaping over the butchers stalls. When some of the butchers hit the figure with their cleavers and knives the blades apparently they passed straight through him without leaving a wound.
The hall - one of the oldest in Lancashire - has a footprint in its flagstones said to have been created when a protestant martyr was interrogated at the hall. The footprint is said to become bloody on the anniversary of his martyrdom. Read More »
According to local folklore, before 1715 there were no venomous snakes in the Derwent Valley, but after the execution of the Earl of Derwentwater an abundance of adders started to appear along the length of the river Derwent. Read More »
On 15 June 1979 a story regarding the sighting of a Himalayan or Malaysian bear seen by several witnesses on the outskirts of a wood near the A1066 at Snare Hill, appeared in the Bury Free Press, Sunderland Echo and national press.
Sockburn village now comprises of a ruined church, a farmhouse and a mansion called Sockburn Hall (built in 1834) all positioned within a loop in the River Tees known locally as Sockburn Peninsula. Sockburn has an amazing secret history though, as it is a place where bishops were crowned, a dragon was killed and some of our greatest writers fell in love. Read More »
The Cumberland News 18/02/2000, featured an article by Ruth Berry and Gill Hands about ghosts on the Solway.
Read More »
The Somerset House pub has a long history of ghostly goings on. This is possibly associated with bodies being stored in the cellar in the 1940s whilst coffins were being made on the premises. Read More »
High in the breathless Hall the Minstrel sate.
And Emont's murmur mingled with the Song.--
The words of ancient time I thus translate,
A festal Strain that hath been silent long.
From Town to Town, from Tower to Tower,
The Red Rose is a gladsome Flower.
Her thirty years of Winter past;
The Red Rose is revived at last; Read More »