You are hereEngland
Ramhurst Manor House is a Grade II listed private residence on Powder Mill Lane dating from the 16th century or earlier. In the middle of the 19th century some strange experiences in the house resulted in it gaining a reputation for being haunted by members of the Children family who had resided there during the 18th century. Read More »
On 21st October 1954 in Ranton, Staffordshire, Jessie Rosenberg, then aged 29, and her two children, witnessed a lens shaped object flying overhead. They also saw two humanoid figures with blond hair staring down at them. They were so scared by the encounter that they hid under a table in their house.
It is reported that they had several psychic experiences afterwards.
Supposedly haunted by a milkmaid who keeps repeating "Weight and measure sold I ever, milk and water sold I never" as she walks up and down. Perhaps she has a guilty conscience about something.
Raven’s Castle is a cluster of rocks on the moors about 6 miles north of Slaidburn and close to the Lancashire border with Yorkshire. John Roby in his ‘Traditions of Lancashire’ (1872) set the following folk tale amongst these rocks. Read More »
Stones used in the construction of the 1822 Rawthey Bridge over which the A683 passes were plundered from a stone circle described in The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland, 1777 by J Nicolson & R Burn. “A circle of large stones, supposed to be a monument of druid worship”. According to Rev. Read More »
Reculver is a popular summer holiday resort on the north coat of Kent. It has two key sites of archaeological interest, the remains of a Roman fort and a ruined medieval church. Read More »
The Red Lion Hotel is a Grade I listed Building dating back to 1465. It is said to have two ghosts: a young girl who haunts the kitchen and, a monk who perished in a fire.
Laid out in 1698, Red Lion Square is on the boundary between Holborn and Bloomsbury and was named after the Red Lion Inn that used to be on the site. Red Lion Square is reputedly haunted by the regicides Oliver Cromwell, John Bradshaw and Henry Ireton. Read More »
The Red Lion is reputed to be haunted the spectre of a young woman who, was said to have been thrown down the well of the pub, (now covered with glass) hundreds of years ago. Read More »
Redworth Hall is a four star hotel, spa and wedding venue, positioned approximately eight miles from Darlington, and twenty miles from Durham. The building dates back to 1693 and has retained many of its unique features including the Baronial Great Hall and an elaborate spiral staircase. Previous owners of the Hall are a variety of members of the Crosier and Surtees families. Read More »
The Rendlesham Forest "UFO Crash" is perhaps the best known "UFO case" in Britain. It has all the ingredients of an intriguing mystery story: determined investigators facing incredible difficulties, military officers "covering the truth", shady characters making their appearance and the promise of a final revelation that would shake the Pillars of Heaven. Read More »
In 1733 a cockatrice terrorized Renwick when the church was being demolished. The beast was slayen by John Tallantire with a rowan branch. The creature was described as resembling a bat. Apparently the cockatrice was again reported as having been seen in 1959. Read More »
The following account of a strange experience by a young Joseph Wilkins in 1754 is taken from 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' (1897) by John Ingram though the case has also been mentioned in several books including 'Phantasms of the Living' edited by Edmund Gurney, Frederic William Henry Myers and Frank Podmore. Read More »
In 1706 the rectory at Souldern was the site of a reported apparitional experience, in which the witness apparently conversed with the ghost and received a warning that his own death was soon approaching. Read More »
The ghost of Richard Cloudesley is associated with the parish church of St Mary in Islington. The account of the haunting extracted below is taken from a publication entitled ‘The Islington ghost! A short account of the burial of a gentleman [R. Cloudesley] with a relation of several strange appearances which followed! (1842)’. Read More »
Spectral Roman armies where seen marching into the sea during the World War II Watches. The area around Richborough was a Roman port during the occupation and the Roman Fort was very important strategically. Though the fort originally overlooked a port, it is now two miles from the sea.
The castle is one of many sites associated with Arthur and his sleeping knights, ready to stir from their slumber in a cave under the castle in times of need. A potter called Thompson once found his way into the cavern (or was shown into the cavern by a stranger) via a tunnel from the castle. Read More »
In 1911, the following description of this ancient Ashton custom appeared in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4. Read More »
‘This is another species of popular punishment which formerly prevailed at Beverley, but is now deservedly fallen into desuetude. The ceremony was performed when a husband had been guilty of beating his wife, or vice versa ; and was as follows. Read More »
A legend associated with this mound was reflected by archaeological findings during excavation. A druid priest was said to haunt the mound, he would offer travellers a drink from a golden cup filled with a magical brew, which could not be drained. Read More »
The Ring O'Bells is said to be one of the oldest buildings in Middleton, and may be one of its most haunted. Historically the pub's foundations are thought to date all the way back to Saxon times, and legend has it that a Druidical temple stood at this spot in the Iron Age - perhaps a place of ancient sacrifice. Read More »
In 'The Folk-Lore of Herefordshire' (1912), Ella Mary Leather gave the following account of a bridge associated with the Devil. This bridge crosses the River Monnow which separates Gwent from Herefordshire. Read More »
Between 1935 and 1966 an open air lido or swimming pool could be found at the bottom of Tenterhill Lane at Tenterhill Mill. There are stories that the Riviera was haunted. The Paranormal Database refers to a male figure that was sometimes seen standing outside the pool. Read More »
Based upon a plan made by E. W. Cox in 1892, Rivington Castle is a folly and reconstruction of William II de Ferrers, 4th Earl of Derby’s, 13th century Liverpool Castle. Rivington Castle dates from 1912, when the building work began. It was built by William Hesketh Lever, 1st Viscount Leverhulme (Born 19 September 1851 – Died 7 May 1925) and can be found in Lever Park. Read More »