You are hereEngland
Argyll House (246 – 250 Regent Street) occupies the site where the Argyll Rooms once stood back before Regent Street was laid out. In 1830 during a concert recital at the Argyll Rooms a young woman saw an apparition which was recounted in the diary of the dandy merchant banker, Thomas Raikes (born 3 October 1777 – died 3 July 1848). Read More »
The gyst-ale, or guising feast, was an annual festival of the town of Ashton-under-Lyne. It appears from the rental of Sir John de Assheton, compiled a.d. 1422, that a sum of twenty shillings was paid to him as lord of the manor for the privilege of holding this feast by its then conductors. Read More »
The Ashwood is a fairly modern pub at the centre of a residential estate. Whilst nothing has actually been seen at the pub, nevertheless the building is prone to some unusual phenomena. Occasionally, singing described as operatic has been heard even though there was no obvious cause. Read More »
Roughly thirty years ago Detective Constable Roger Ryder had an experience as he passed the Badgers Sett, then known as the Gypsies’ Tent on the A456. An interview with the now retired detective appeared in the Black Country Bugle in 2007. Read More »
The Barguest - One name for the phantom black dog. In appearance the Barguest was as large as a calf, with long sharp fangs and claws, fiery eyes and a shaggy black coat. Read More »
The Bedford public house at 77 Bedford Hill dates back the 1830’s when it was originally opened as a hotel. Long known as a popular live music venue, it has even hosted early gigs by bands including U2 and The Clash. Read More »
There is story that many years ago in the Burnley area, a woman known as Old Bet was snatched and killed by The Bee Hole Boggart. Bits of her skin were then said to have been found bung on a rose bush.
The Bell Inn is a 19th century country pub with a large conservatory used as a dining room. It is here that the ghost of a mischievous little girl is seen flitting amongst the tables. She is only ever seen for a split second and often only out the corner of the eye, but the description of a little girl with long curly hair wearing a party dress is always the same. Read More »
The Black Country Arms was formerly The Green Dragon and is recorded as far back as 1627 when it was part of the municipal buildings. It became part of the Magistrate's Court in 1910 but is now returned to its former use as a pub. Read More »
Little Eaton in Derbyshire has a black dog legend. It is said that the large black animal was a working, hunting hound owned by the last squire of the village, which howled constantly for three days and nights as its master was dying. When the dog ceased howling, the household staff and the villagers knew that the squire had died. Read More »
Hundreds of years ago there lived a poor woodcutter in Bradley Woods with his pretty young wife and their baby boy. They lived very happily together until the woodcutter was pressed into military service for the local lord. He was sent to fight in the wars that were then raging in England. Read More »
Around the year 1710 a man named Solomon Fenner lived in the village of Laceby, where he worked as the local blacksmith. Although highly skilled and successful at his work, he was not a rich man, though nor did he live in poverty. Read More »
The following tale of a North Yorkshire giant appeared in 'English Fairy and Other Folk Tales' by Edwin Sidney Hartland  who cited 'Notes on the Folk-Lore of the Northern Counties of England and the Borders.' Read More »
The 15th century Boot & Slipper Public House, part of the Chef & Brewer chain has a reputation of being haunted by a ghost that is usually felt rather than seen. Read More »
Though the inn dates from 1550 and it is thought that part of the building was originally three cottages constructed in 1146 to house monks working on the Church of St Mary next door. Secret tunnels between the cottages, church and priory are said to exist which offered the monks protection from potential invaders. Read More »
The Bridestones are a set of natural weathered stones that are thought to have been used for ancient worship. A weathered horned head is carved into one of the stones, the date of the carving unknown.
Directions: To the East of the A169 Northeast of Lockton.
For over five hundred years witches, male and female, practised magic for harm and good in their communities. Most witches worked locally, used by their neighbours to cure illness, create love, or gratify personal spite against another. Read More »
The Brittania is nicknamed 'Sallies' after Sallie Williams who ran the quaint old pub until her death in 1991. Much activity has been experienced here. Dogs seem particularly afraid of the entrance to the cellar and have been known to follow some unseen presence around the lounge. Things often get moved around and sometimes go missing only to turn up in unusual places. Read More »