You are hereEngland
Dating from the 16th century and originally thought to have been a Guild Hall confiscated by King Henry VIII, the Bell Inn is a Grade I listed building with a reputation of being haunted. The following description was published on 13 October 2014 in the Essex Chronicle within an article by Emily Talbut entitled ‘The 14 most haunted places in Essex to visit this Hallowe'en’. Read More »
The Black Country Arms was formerly The Green Dragon and is recorded as far back as 1627 when it was part of the municipal buildings. It became part of the Magistrate's Court in 1910 but is now returned to its former use as a pub. Read More »
Little Eaton in Derbyshire has a black dog legend. It is said that the large black animal was a working, hunting hound owned by the last squire of the village, which howled constantly for three days and nights as its master was dying. When the dog ceased howling, the household staff and the villagers knew that the squire had died. Read More »
Hundreds of years ago there lived a poor woodcutter in Bradley Woods with his pretty young wife and their baby boy. They lived very happily together until the woodcutter was pressed into military service for the local lord. He was sent to fight in the wars that were then raging in England. Read More »
Around the year 1710 a man named Solomon Fenner lived in the village of Laceby, where he worked as the local blacksmith. Although highly skilled and successful at his work, he was not a rich man, though nor did he live in poverty. Read More »
The following tale of a North Yorkshire giant appeared in 'English Fairy and Other Folk Tales' by Edwin Sidney Hartland  who cited 'Notes on the Folk-Lore of the Northern Counties of England and the Borders.' Read More »
The 15th century Boot & Slipper Public House, part of the Chef & Brewer chain has a reputation of being haunted by a ghost that is usually felt rather than seen. Read More »
Though the inn dates from 1550 and it is thought that part of the building was originally three cottages constructed in 1146 to house monks working on the Church of St Mary next door. Secret tunnels between the cottages, church and priory are said to exist which offered the monks protection from potential invaders. Read More »
The Bridestones are a set of natural weathered stones that are thought to have been used for ancient worship. A weathered horned head is carved into one of the stones, the date of the carving unknown.
Directions: To the East of the A169 Northeast of Lockton.
For over five hundred years witches, male and female, practised magic for harm and good in their communities. Most witches worked locally, used by their neighbours to cure illness, create love, or gratify personal spite against another. Read More »
The Brittania is nicknamed 'Sallies' after Sallie Williams who ran the quaint old pub until her death in 1991. Much activity has been experienced here. Dogs seem particularly afraid of the entrance to the cellar and have been known to follow some unseen presence around the lounge. Things often get moved around and sometimes go missing only to turn up in unusual places. Read More »
Situated in Turville, a village well known for the filming of ’Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ ‘Midsomer Murders’ and ‘The Vicar of Dibley’, the Bull and Butcher dates from 1550 and is a grade II listed building. In 1942 another film was shot here in Turville called ‘Went the Day Well‘, when the village was portrayed as being under German occupation. Read More »
Recently (April 2013) re-opened the The Bull’s Head on Limekiln Lane in Earlswood has been a public house since 1832, though the building dates back to 1740 when it was used by navies working on the Stratford Upon Avon canal. Their website states that it is rumored to be haunted by a ghost of a lime kiln worker.
The Bull at 151 Shooter Hill dates from 1749 (though it was rebuilt in 1881) and it was a popular stopping place for coaches traveling along the route between London and Dover (Shooters Hill Road follows the route of the Roman Watling Street). Read More »
The following article by Sam Balls was published in the Essex Chronicle, 1 February 2016. It is entitled ‘Britain's most haunted house and former medieval prison is up for sale in Essex for £180,000’
Ghost hunters can snap up Britain's most haunted house after the Essex-based creepy cottage was put on the market for £180,000. Read More »
On 13th October 2006 strange experiences was reported by three separate women at the Cardigan Arms, 364 Kirkstall Road, Leeds. One of the women briefly saw the reflection of a middle-aged/elderly woman with long, straight grey hair in the mirror of the ladies toilet. No one was there when she turned around. One of the girls waited for a cubicle to be vacated. Read More »
The ghost story of The Cat Inn concerns an old tramp, Billy Pitt, who collapsed in the snow one bitter cold night in mid-winter. The howling of Billy's dog, Jim, brought a group of drunks out of the inn to see what was going on. They dragged Billy into the pub and revived him by the fire. Read More »
The Cauliflower at 553 High Road, Ilford, is a popular live music venue and whilst Deryck Jones was the landlord it had a reputation of being haunted, with the case being written about in ‘The Publican’ and ‘The Haunted Pub Guide’ (Guy Lyon Playfair 1985). The date the Cauliflower was built is unknown, but in 1897 plans were made to make the pub into a hotel. Read More »
The Chalice Well has been associated with healing and with the Holy Grail for many years. According to legend Joseph of Arimethea placed the cup that held the blood of Christ into the well. The waters run red with Iron Oxide another association with blood. Read More »
The 16th century Chequers Inn is a village pub reputedly haunted by a Roundhead from the English Civil War (1642–1651). The following description of the haunting is extracted from an article in the Kent and Sussex Courier entitled ‘The ghastly ghouls rumoured to haunt our sleepy district’ dating from 31 October 2008. Read More »