You are hereEngland
This building dates back over 600 years and has seen many uses. Apart from being a pub, it has been a private house, a school and also a brushmakers which is where it's name originates. It is though that the pub may be haunted by Mr Chicket, who is thought to be the original brushmaker. Read More »
The following by the Augustinian Canon William Parvus, also known as William of Newburgh (or Newbury) (Born 1136 – Died 1198) concerns a haunting or what is sometimes considered a potential vampire case. Read More »
According to ‘Some Notes on the Road from London to Canterbury in the Middle Ages’ (1898) Edited by Henry Littlehales ‘The ancient house at the corner of the lane on the left a few yards before we reach the church*, is thus mentioned in Mr, Dunkin's history : —
Read More »
24th May 1964, Jim Templeton (then 44) on an outing with his wife and two daughters, took a picture of his daughter holding a posy of wild flowers near a stretch of marshland by the Solway Firth. When this was developed it showed what appeared to be a white-suited entity wearing a black visor standing behind his daughter in a strange perspective. Read More »
The area is said to be haunted by headless horses, especially in the vicinity of a sunken lane to Welwyn village.
Sunken lanes are trackways, which pass below the level of the surrounding countryside, often with steep banks. Many are considered very ancient, the remnants of old trackways perhaps dating as far back as the Bronze Age. Read More »
Famous for the Burning of the Bartle festival, when an effigy of St Bartholomew is burned in the town. The festival takes place on the nearest Saturday to the 24th of August. Read More »
Robert Fitz-Henry, Lord of Lathom (Born 1135) founded the Augustinian Burscough Priory around 1190. It was dissolved during the Dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VIII circa 1536 and today very little remains of the building. Read More »
Black Meg was a man-eating ogress who lived in a cave on the wild and lonely expanse of Ancaster Heath. She terrorised the countryside for miles around, devouring anyone she came across. Her foul, evil spells made the land barren and she used her long iron claws to maul and kill livestock. Read More »
William of Newburgh's Chronicle of 1290AD is said to mention the sighting of a round silvery object flying over the Byland Abbey in Yorkshire. Read More »
This large hillfort has a plethora of traditions attached to it, most notably that it is the site of the legendary Camelot, the stronghold of Arthur. There is a distinct possibility that the historical Arthur - probably a sixth century war leader - had his base here, as the Iron Age hillfort was reoccupied and refortified around this time. Read More »
The sixty five room Cadogan Hotel is one of the oldest and most famous hotels in London and is reputedly haunted by the actress and lover of King Edward VII, Lillie Langtry (born 13 October 1853 – died 12 February 1929). Read More »
A security guard at Cairo Mill In Waterhead Oldham witnessed a UFO lit with a blue light after hearing a humming noise outside the mill. It was described as 30 metres in diameter, saucer shaped with a large window. After about 5 minutes the UFO turned and shot away into the sky. The factory cat also disappeared at the same time. There have been other UFO sightings in the area. Read More »
According to legend, the owners, a Mr and Mrs Kraster Cook were framed one Christmas by Myles Phillipson, a magistrate. He planted a silver cup upon their persons when they came around to visit him. The crime was punishable by death and Phillipson gained control of Calgarth Hall, a sixteenth century manor house, but not before being cursed by Mrs Dorothy Cook. Read More »
Cambridge House is a Grade I listed Palladian style building dating from 1761. Throughout its 250 year history it has been associated with many notable people, but it was during its time as the Naval & Military Club that it gained its reputation of being haunted by a World War II serviceman. Read More »
Over the past several years there have been numerous reports of strange encounters on and around Cannock Chase ranging from UFO’s, a Big Foot or Sasquatch, a Big Cat and a Giant Serpent, not to mention its haunting by a Phantom Black Dog.
Below are a series of articles have appeared in the Canock Chase Post and Birmingham Post. Read More »
This standing stone has a number of traditions associated with it, it looks very much like a Neolithic standing stone, although sources suggest that it actually dates to the fifth century, during the end of the Roman occupation. The name of the stone is certainly of Roman origin although it may have been old during the Roman period. Read More »
Carisbrooke castle is one of the most impressive historic sites on the Isle of Wight, and was the chief medieval stronghold on the Isle of Wight, so much so that tradition asserts that whoever owned the castle also controlled the Isle of Wight. Read More »
The following article by Phil Coleman entitled 'Black Panther Spotted In Field Near Carlisle – Claim' appeared in the News & Star on 16 February 2012.
A bus driver has spoken of the moment he spotted what he believes may have been a large black panther in a field a few miles north of Carlisle. Read More »
This building is reputed to be haunted by a ghostly woman. A soldier in 1823 was so frightened when he encountered her, that he bayoneted the apparition, impaling the wall behind it. The soldier fainted and died of shock the following day. Read More »
In 1868, a midget wearing old fashioned clothes and silver buckles on his shoes, was seen in the streets near the Cathedral but quickly vanished.
Recent articles in the Cumberland News and Carlisle Living Magazine mention the re-opening of the Undercroft below Carlisle Railway Station for special tours this Halloween (2010) and mention the haunting like experiences that have reported both above and below ground at the station. Read More »