You are hereCumbria
'The church was dedicated in honour of St. John the Baptist. Little remains to tell either of the castle or well on Hutton Common, but both were popularly known as having been named after one Collinson. There was a tradition, with every probability of truth, that when King Charles marched his men on the road through this parish he turned aside and drank out of Collinson's Well. Read More »
On the 15 February 1954 Stephen Derbyshire, then 14, saw and photographed a UFO on the slopes of the Old Man of Coniston, above Coniston Village. The picture was blurred but the case became a classic of UFO literature of the time. Read More »
Corby Castle lies on the banks of the river Eden, not far from Carlisle. The castle was the seat of the Howard family and is haunted by a spirit known as the radiant boy who has been sighted infrequently. The apparition haunts a room in the oldest part of the castle, which is reached by a passage running through a wall. Read More »
Devil's Bridge over the river Lune, is associated with a legend that can be found throughout Britain, with minor variations from region to region. A woman who was separated from her cow by the river made a pact with the Devil. He would build a bridge across the river, in return for the soul of the first living thing to cross the bridge. Read More »
Dunmail Raise was the scene of a bloody battle for control of the lands of Cumbria. The battle took place against King Dunmail, the last King of Cumbria, against the united forces of Malcolm, the King of Scotland and Edmund, a Saxon King. Dunmail was defeated and slain and his sons were mutilated, his men were made to build a stone cairn over the spot where he fell. Read More »
Two prehistoric henge monuments have become known as Arthur's Round Table, a common theme in folklore were ancient structures become romanticised into legendary sites. A cave near Eamont Bridge called giants cave is associated with two legendary giants called Tarquin and Isir. Read More »
Held on the nearest Saturday to the 18th October, the festival was established in 1267 and involved the distribution of crab-apples amid fun, games and traditional Cumberland Wrestling.
Elva Hill is known as a fairy hill and the name may be derived from an old Viking name meaning place of the elves. A stone circle on its slope suggests ancient ritual use of the area, only 15 stones of the original 30 remain. The circle is on private land belonging to Elva Farm, but there is a nearby footpath. The site is thought to date from Neolithic times. Read More »
On 16 July 2012 the following North West Evening Mail story by Ross Tyson entitled ‘Big cat’ spotted on road' was published.
A COUPLE claim to have spotted a mysterious panther-like big cat while on holiday in the Lakes. Read More »
At Giant's Cave, near Eden Hall, it has been the custom from time immemorial for the lads and lasses of the neighbouring villages to collect together on the third Sunday in May, to drink sugar and water, when the lasses give the treat: this is called Sugar-and-Water Sunday. They afterwards adjourn to the public house, and the lads return the compliment in cakes, ale, punch, etc. Read More »
A skeletal apparition of a man still trapped in the gibbet, which displayed his corpse, was said to haunt Gibbet Hill, Beacon Edge, Penrith. The ghost is said to be that of a man called Nicholson who bludgeoned to death his godfather Thomas Parker whilst he was returning home from the Cross Keys Inn at Carleton. Read More »
During World War II Gill House was used as a dormitory for the Woman's Land Army, during this time a great deal of strange phenomena occurred, which led to an investigation by the Canon of Carlisle the Late W. J. Phythian Adams. Read More »
I was intrigued to come across mentions of a Big Foot sighting in Beckermet, Cumbria and sought out the original source, a copy of the Whitehaven News, dated 5 March 1998. Read More »
This must have been an important place of worship to the Norse invaders, and to later generations judging by the wealth of important early Christian relics here. The actual church has been renovated several times and much of the older structure has been destroyed. Read More »
Room 7 (formerly Room 11) of this old building dating back to 1658 is reputedly haunted by a figure some have described as resembling a friar. He sits by the entrance to the 'priests hole' which leads from this room to the bar fireplace in the bar below. Read More »
There is an interesting piece of folklore relating to a curse connected to an early Quaker named Francis Howgill (born 1618 – died 1669) and Grayrigg Hall, ancestral home of the Duckett family. Read More »
The Roman Fort of Mediobogdvm, above Hardknott Pass, is said to hold a fairy rath where King Eveling holds his court. Hardnott Pass can be found at the end of the Eskdale Valley and is also one of the steepest roads in Cumbria.
Discover the darker side of Carlisle in this book from the Haunted series. With over 2000 years of history in the City there is bound to be an odd ghost or three tucked away somewhere and Darren W. Ritson certainly makes some gruesome discoveries along the way in this book. Read More »
Hen Howe (or Henhow or Hen How) is now a ruin, but John Ingram included the following story of its apparent haunting in his 1897 book 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' Read More »
There are two Celtic Crosses in Irton Churchyard, one is truly ancient and the other is a copy of the former incorporated into more modern grave. The ancient cross is thought to date from the early ninth century, before the Norsemen invaded the area. Read More »
The News & Star reported the following in an article by Ross Brewster on Thursday 8 March 2001. 'Men working on a facelift for Keswicks Moot Hall have been.. spooked by a ghost in the tower. The first sighting was reported by a labourer sweeping up in the corner of the tower. Read More »
The La Pergola is one of Carlisle’s oldest and probably one of best known of its Italian restaurants and can be found in the basement of a beautiful Georgian building at 28 Castle Street. Over the years the building on Castle Street has been used for many purposes but it is thought that the ghost of a maid haunts the basement restaurant. Read More »