You are hereGreater London
According to ‘Some Notes on the Road from London to Canterbury in the Middle Ages’ (1898) Edited by Henry Littlehales ‘The ancient house at the corner of the lane on the left a few yards before we reach the church*, is thus mentioned in Mr, Dunkin's history : —
Read More »
The sixty five room Cadogan Hotel is one of the oldest and most famous hotels in London and is reputedly haunted by the actress and lover of King Edward VII, Lillie Langtry (born 13 October 1853 – died 12 February 1929). Read More »
Cambridge House is a Grade I listed Palladian style building dating from 1761. Throughout its 250 year history it has been associated with many notable people, but it was during its time as the Naval & Military Club that it gained its reputation of being haunted by a World War II serviceman. Read More »
There is a tradition that during the Victorian times a Night Watchman came across the ghosts of two beautiful ladies in the ancient burial ground of Greyfriars. The two ladies had haunted the site oblivious of each other for centuries, but, once they noticed each other and saw that they were of equal beauty, they got angry and started to fight. Read More »
Cleopatra's Needle is made of red granite and stands 68ft. It is one of three ‘Needles', the other two being in Paris and New York. Although named after Cleopatra they actually date from 1450BC and the reign of Thutmose III. The inscriptions date from roughly 1250BC and were probably added on the order of Ramesses II as they mention his great victories. Read More »
Covent Garden Station opened on 11 April 1907 and serves the Piccadilly Line. It is said to be haunted by the apparition of a tall man wearing white gloves, a top hat and a frock coat and grey suit. This figure has been reported many times since the 1950’s though recent sightings are uncommon. He has been seen in the tunnels and the staff rest room. Read More »
On 1 September 2009 Newshopper published an article by Scott Mullins entitled ‘My pursuit of the elusive Palace Puma’ in which he gives the following description of an encounter at Crystal Palace. Read More »
An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website mentions the ghost of a horseman dating from the English Civil War that rides slowly from the East of Heath Lane towards Wilmington.
An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website refers to the apparition of a Saxon or Norman knight that rides the Leyton Cross part of the heath, appearing to come in from the Birchwood Road area.
69 Dean Street is a Grade II listed, 18th century four storey Georgian Townhouse. It is currently called the Dean Street Townhouse, a new nine bedroom hotel and restaurant, which opened on 24 November 2009. Prior to being opened as a hotel, 69 Dean Street was home to the Gargoyle Club which had a reputation of being haunted by one of King Charles II famous mistresses, Nell Gwyn (Gwynne). Read More »
Dartford Heath appears to be one of the many locations reputedly haunted by Dick Turpin and Black Bess. According to the Perception 9 website they ride across the heath, following a route across Shepherd's Lane towards Bexley.
On 30th November 1222, dragons were reported to have been seen over the city of London, after the sighting severe thunderstorms caused severe flooding.
During December 1927 the family home of Mr Henry Robinson in Eland Road, Battersea came to the attention of the Police and the local media following reports of suspected Poltergeist like activity. On 19th January 1928 Harry Price, president of the Ghost Club started to investigate the case. Read More »
The Elephant and Castle Underground Railway Station serves the Northern Line and the Bakerloo Line (originally named the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway). The apparition of a young woman has been seen several times by both staff and customers on the Bakerloo Line part of the station. She boards the train at Elephant and Castle Station, walks through the carriages then disappears with a trace. Read More »
Elizabeth Siddal was an artist and a model, who posed for many of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. A mystery arose following her death, as her grave in Highgate Cemetery was opened and her body, though dead for seven years, was said not to have decomposed at all, which has even led to speculation in some quarters that she was undead. Read More »
Elsie Marshall was born on 9 November 1869 in Birchfield, Birmingham where her father Rev J W Marshall was the parish minister. In 1874 they moved to Blackheath in London her father became minister of St Johns Church, which had been built in 1853. Read More »
ELTHAM residents fear a big cat is on the loose after foxes were found ripped to shreds.
Laura Downes, 47, of Westmount Road, Eltham, discovered a dead fox in her back garden and thought there was nothing sinister involved.
But when she looked out an hour later nothing was left except clumps of fur, scattered around the garden. Read More »
In 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' (1897), John Ingram quotes Mr. T. Westwood and a piece that appeared in Notes and Queries on the subject of "Ghosts and Haunted Houses". Read More »
The following firsthand account of a haunt like experience dates from before the construction of the A2 and appeared on the Perception 9 website’s article about the many ghosts of Dartford Heath. Read More »
Mark Killiner mentioned the potential haunting of Friday Hill House in an article dated 29 August 2005 which appeared in the East London and West Essex Guardian Series, 'Five years ago  the Guardian reported on former local woman Mavis Fisher's efforts to find out more about the ghostly Read More »