You are hereGreater London
Dr John Donne (Born 1573 – Died 1631) was a Dean of St Paul’s and a poet, who had a strange experience which could be considered a crisis apparition. The following account of this experience was published in ‘The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain’ (1897) by John Ingram. Read More »
The following account concerning a crisis apparition was published by John Ingram in his ‘The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain’(1897). It concerns the home and practice of Dr James Clark (Born 14 December 1788 – Died 29 June 1870) who was Queen Victoria’s physician between 1837 and 1860. Read More »
On 30th November 1222, dragons were reported to have been seen over the city of London, after the sighting severe thunderstorms caused severe flooding.
During December 1927 the family home of Mr Henry Robinson in Eland Road, Battersea came to the attention of the Police and the local media following reports of suspected Poltergeist like activity. On 19th January 1928 Harry Price, president of the Ghost Club started to investigate the case. Read More »
The Elephant and Castle Underground Railway Station serves the Northern Line and the Bakerloo Line (originally named the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway). The apparition of a young woman has been seen several times by both staff and customers on the Bakerloo Line part of the station. She boards the train at Elephant and Castle Station, walks through the carriages then disappears with a trace. Read More »
Elizabeth Siddal was an artist and a model, who posed for many of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. A mystery arose following her death, as her grave in Highgate Cemetery was opened and her body, though dead for seven years, was said not to have decomposed at all, which has even led to speculation in some quarters that she was undead. Read More »
Elsie Marshall was born on 9 November 1869 in Birchfield, Birmingham where her father Rev J W Marshall was the parish minister. In 1874 they moved to Blackheath in London her father became minister of St Johns Church, which had been built in 1853. Read More »
ELTHAM residents fear a big cat is on the loose after foxes were found ripped to shreds.
Laura Downes, 47, of Westmount Road, Eltham, discovered a dead fox in her back garden and thought there was nothing sinister involved.
But when she looked out an hour later nothing was left except clumps of fur, scattered around the garden. Read More »
In 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' (1897), John Ingram quotes Mr. T. Westwood and a piece that appeared in Notes and Queries on the subject of "Ghosts and Haunted Houses". Read More »
The following firsthand account of a haunt like experience dates from before the construction of the A2 and appeared on the Perception 9 website’s article about the many ghosts of Dartford Heath. Read More »
Mark Killiner mentioned the potential haunting of Friday Hill House in an article dated 29 August 2005 which appeared in the East London and West Essex Guardian Series, 'Five years ago  the Guardian reported on former local woman Mavis Fisher's efforts to find out more about the ghostly Read More »
Looking for the spookier side to London? Then this is the must-have app for you...
London has a rich haunted heritage, and from well-known ghosts to some of the more obscure, this app features over 300 haunted locations around the city, the map uses your phone's GPS to bring the spooks to you! Read More »
Green Park is a Royal park near Buckingham Palace that covers about forty seven acres. Originally the park was an area of swampy land used as a burial ground for the nearby leper hospital of St James. This hospital was closed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the land was enclosed by King Henry VIII and then became part of the estate of the Poulteney family. Read More »
The Greencoat Boy public house can be found on Greencoat Place (formerly Coburg Row). The pub is on the site of the old St Margaret’s Hospital and Green Coat School, after which it was probably named. The old prison Tothill Fields Bridewell (Westminster Bridewell) was located beside St Margaret’s Hospital and was on that site between 1618 and 1834. Read More »
Hall Place, Bexley Village, is a Grade I listed building and records show that a manor has existed within its grounds since 1241. It is supposedly haunted by three ghosts. Read More »
Hampton Court Palace and St James's Palace are the last two surviving palaces built by King Henry VIII. King Henry had acquired Hampton Court in 1525 when his Chief Minister, Thomas Wolsey, Arch Bishop of Canterbury fell from favour. Wolsey had spent seven years rebuilding the 14th century manor that would form the core of Henry's new palace. Read More »
Brook Street in Mayfair runs from Grosvenor Square to Hanover Square and its buildings date from the early 1700’s. In 1723 the German/British baroque composer George Frideric Handel (born 23 February 1685 in Germany) began renting the newly built 25 Brook Street where he lived for the next thirty six years before dying there on 14 April 1759. Read More »
Written by fellow ASSAP (Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena) member, James Clark, Haunted Lambeth features a collection of paranormal tales including poltergeists, apparitions, black dogs and other unexplained phenomena. Read More »
Over the past 147 years, the London Underground network has grown to cover 253 miles and 270 stations, covering most of central London, extending out into Greater London and beyond. Read More »
The Story of Llud and Llevelys appears in the The Mabinogion and here is the translation published by Lady Charlotte Guest (1877). Read More »
The disused High Level Station at Highgate is reputedly haunted by the sounds which it is said have been heard by the local residents. However, without any actual witness accounts I cannot be sure whether this reputation unfounded or not. Read More »
Situated in a 500 acre estate, some of which is now survives as Holland Park, the house was originally known as Cope Castle and was built in 1605 for Sir Walter Cope. His daughter married Henry Rich, 1st Earl of Holland (1590 - 9 March 1649) who inherited the property and is said to haunt it. Read More »