You are hereGreater London
Pitt place was built on a chalk pit by the banker and Member of Parliament Alderman William Belchier between 25 February 1755 (when his former house on Chalk Lane, Epsom, burned down) and August 1759. Read More »
Pond Square in Highgate has the reputation of being haunted by the apparition of a chicken. Not just any fowl though, this chicken is rumoured to be the worlds first frozen chicken which participated in the final fatal experiment of Sir Francis Bacon, Viscount of St. Read More »
In 1674 a publication entitled ‘News from Puddle-Docke in London, or, A Perfect particuler of the strange apparitions and transactions that have happened in the house of Mr. Edward Pitts next door to the still at Puddle-Dock’ was printed. As the title suggests it concerned the reported haunting Edward Pitts home. Read More »
Laid out in 1698, Red Lion Square is on the boundary between Holborn and Bloomsbury and was named after the Red Lion Inn that used to be on the site. Red Lion Square is reputedly haunted by the regicides Oliver Cromwell, John Bradshaw and Henry Ireton. Read More »
The ghost of Richard Cloudesley is associated with the parish church of St Mary in Islington. The account of the haunting extracted below is taken from a publication entitled ‘The Islington ghost! A short account of the burial of a gentleman [R. Cloudesley] with a relation of several strange appearances which followed! (1842)’. Read More »
Opened on 15 November 1972, the Royal Air Force Museum displays 100 aircraft within it’s five exhibition halls. This collection includes a Hawker Typhoon, one of the two remaining Vickers Wellingtons and probably the most famous of the Avro Lancaster bombers, R5868 'S-Sugar' (S for Sugar), which was the first RAF heavy bomber to complete 100 operational sorties during World War II. Read More »
Sarah Siddons on North Wharf Road opened opened in 1961 as a secondary school for girls from Regent’s Park and Bellfield Schools. Part of North Westminster Community School since 1980, the Paranormal Database website suggests that it was haunted by the ghost of the Welsh actress, Sarah Siddons (Born 5 July 1755 – Died 8 June 1831) wearing a blue dress and a small hat. Read More »
On 18 July 1963 a large cat was seen by a lorry driver traveling up the western side of Shooters Hill. He saw what he thought was an injured animal, possibly a dog and stopped to give it assistance. The animal got up and fled into the woods. It had a curled tail and was golden in colour. It had some prey in its mouth and it appears that the driver disturbed ait whilst it was feeding. Read More »
The sale of meat at Smithfield can be traced back over 800 years and in the 17th century an apparition of a horned figure reputedly terrorized the area leaping over the butchers stalls. When some of the butchers hit the figure with their cleavers and knives the blades apparently they passed straight through him without leaving a wound.
An area behind the British Museum was known as Southampton Fields. Read More »
Out of the dark, supernatural depths of Victorian England one name stands out. Jack.
Not Jack the Ripper, but a more supernatural fiend - Spring Heeled Jack! Read More »
St Andrews in Cobham dates back to the 12th century, though it has been through extensive renovation during its 800 year history. The church is supposed to be haunted by a strange apparition, that of a blue donkey.
Founded in 1123 by Rahere, a jester/minstrel in the court of King Henry I (1068 – 1 December 1135), making this one of the oldest churches in London. Originally established as an Augustinian Priory Church, its nave was demolished in 1539 when King Henry VIII ordered the Dissolution of the Monastery’s. Read More »
In 1982 Chris Brackley took a famous photograph whilst he was in St Botolph’s Church. The photograph was of the interior of the church, taking in the aisle, altar and main stain glass window. In the upper right hand side of picture there appears to be ghostly image of a figure dressed in period costume in the Choir Loft. Read More »
St James's Church Garlickhythe is an ancient church that was destroyed during the Great Fire of London of September 1666 and rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren (opening on 10 December 1682, though the tower was not finished until 1717). Read More »
John Ingram recounts the following experience with an apparition at St James's Palace, in his 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain (1897)'. Read More »
Dating from 1536, measuring 58 acres, St James’s Park, named after a thirteenth century leper hospital which was dedicated to St James the Less, is the oldest of the Royal Park’s in London and is reputedly haunted by a murdered headless woman in red. Read More »
St Magnus the Martyr was the second church to be damaged during the Great Fire of London in 1666 and was subsequently rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren (born 20 October 1632 – died 25 February 1723) at a cost of £9,580. Read More »
The church of St Martin dates from the 13th century. The following account of a phantom bird associated with the building was published in ‘Haunted Churches’ (1939) by Elliott O'Donnell (27 February 1872 - 8 May 1965). ‘ONE of the most remarkable cases of haunting in a church occurred at West Drayton, near Uxbridge, in the middle of the eighteenth century. Read More »
The current St Mary’s dates from 1787 and is a Grade I listed building designed by Thomas Hardwick. The earlier church stood 70’ south of the present building and was demolished when the newer church was completed in 1790. The later church does have some monuments inside it that were originally from the older one and according to tradition it may have a few apparitions as well. Read More »