You are hereClarence House

Clarence House


Clarence House was built in 1825 and is the official residence of His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales (Born 14 November 1948) and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (Born 17 July 1947).  It was commissioned by King William IV (Born 21 August 1765 – 20 June 1837) whilst he was the Duke of Clarence and designed by John Nash. For 170 years Clarence House has been a Royal residence and those who have lived there include:

1825 – 1837 King William IV (Duke of Clarence)
1837 – 1840 Princess Augusta Sophia (Born 8 November 1768 – Died 22 September 1840)
1840 - Princess Mary Louise Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, Princess of Leiningen, Duchess of Kent and Strathearn (Born 17 August 1786 – Died 16 March 1861) – Mother of Queen Victoria.
1866 – 1900 – Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Born 6 August 1844 – Died 30 July
1900 – 1942 - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (Born 1 May 1850 – Died 16 January 1942)
World War II – Clarence House was used as a Headquarters for the British Red Cross Society's Foreign Relations Department (200 staff).
Following the War Queen Elizabeth II (then Princess Elizabeth) moved into Clarence House.
1953 – When Queen Elizabeth and her family moved into Buckingham Palace, her mother, Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon (Born 4 August 1900 – Died 30 March 2002) and sister, Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (Born 21 August 1930 – Died 9 February 2002), moved into Clarence House.
2003 – Charles, Prince of Wales took up residence.

Haunted?
It was during World War II when Clarence House was housing the Red Cross that, whilst working alone, a female clerk saw a sort of greyish, swirling, triangular, smoky mass. Terrified she fled the building.


Javascript is required to view this map.



Share/Save

Navigation

Recent comments

Featured Site