You are hereHampshire

Hampshire


A338 UFO (1967)

On 6th November 1967, Carl Farlow was driving along the A338 at around 1.00am in the morning. He was coming up to a bridge over the river Avon, when the electric's in his car cut out. He pulled up to the roadside to check out what the problem was, and spotted an egg shaped object hovering above the road. Read More »

Aldershot, Basingstoke Canal UFO Abduction (1983)

Albert Burtoo stands as the oldest UFO abductee, if his story is to be taken at face value. He was aged 77 at the time of the incident, and had just settled for a nights fishing session on the side of Basingstoke Canal on 12th August 1983. At about 1.00pm he noticed a bright light, which he took to be an army Helicopter from the nearby Para base. Read More »

The Angel Hotel, Lymington

The pub is reputed to be haunted by two ghosts. One is the tall ghost of a seaman, dressed in a naval coat, and the other is thought to be that of a coachman, who is seen standing looking out of the kitchen window. The hotel was an old coaching Inn, and was used by the local shipbuilders as a hostelry.

Beaulieu Abbey

The reputedly haunted monastery of St Mary of Beaulieu was a Cistercian Abbey founded in 1204 by King John and granted to the house of and populated by monks from the Abbey of St. Mary of Citeaux, the French mother house of the Cistercian order. Read More »

The Brushmakers Arms, Upham

This building dates back over 600 years and has seen many uses. Apart from being a pub, it has been a private house, a school and also a brushmakers which is where it's name originates. It is though that the pub may be haunted by Mr Chicket, who is thought to be the original brushmaker. Read More »

Ewshott House

The following account was published in 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' by John Ingram (1897).  Major Edward Moor, the author, among other works, of the Hindu Pantheon, in its day a valued authority upon Indian antiquities, in 1841 published a brochure on the " Bealing Bells." This little hook not only furnished a full account of the disturbances ascrib Read More »

Hackwood House

Hackwood House

According to The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain by John Ingram (1897), the Saunders Newsletter which was a daily paper that running between 1755 and 1879 (being published daily from 1777) carried the following story concerning an experience at Hackwood House in one of it’s April 1862 publications. Read More »

Hampshire & New Forest Stories of the Supernatural by Sonia Smith

Hampshire Supernatural Stories

‘Most people are intrigued by ghosts and stories about paranormal happenings, even if they do not believe in them’. Read More »

Hook UFO (1967)

Mr W. Collet was driving between Hook and Reading early on the morning of 26th October 1967 in a transit min-bus. Suddenly his radio and electrical equipment cut out. Read More »

The Hyde Tavern, Winchester

Supposedly the oldest and smallest pub in the city, it is reputed to be haunted by a ghost that pulls the bed clothes off visitors. The ghost is blamed on a woman who is supposed to have died from cold and hunger in the one of the rooms centuries ago.

Marwell Hall

Now world renowned for the Marwell Zoological Park (which opened in 1972), Marwell Hall itself dates from around 1314. I was built by Walter Woodlock after gaining permission from Henry Woodlcok, Bishop of Winchester. By the early 16th century the estate was owned by Corpus Christi College which they rented out to various tenants. Read More »

Moyles Court

Dame Alice Lisle Being Arrested.

Mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) as being held by Cola the Huntsman, Moyles Court is now a private school on the edge of the New Forest in Hampshire. It was once the home of Lady Alice Lisle who was executed for sheltering traitors following the Monmouth Rebellion which has been described as judicial murder. Read More »

Netley Abbey

Netley Abbey was a Cistercian House founded in 1239 by Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester though he died before it was completed. Henry II took a keen interest in the Abbey and became its royal patron. Read More »

St. Catherine's Hill

St. Catherine's Hill is a prominent chalk hill not far from Winchester in Hampshire's South Downs. The hill appears to have had a significant place in local life since early times, and indeed the remains of an iron age hillfort can still be seen there today, hinting that St. Catherine's Hill was of military, economic and perhaps spiritual importance. Read More »

The Eclipse Inn, Winchester

The Eclipse Inn dates from 1540 and over the past centuries the building has had many uses including a rectory, private residence, ale house (around 1750) and from the nineteenth century an Inn. Read More »

The Rufus Stone

Death of William Rufus

The Rufus stone (now encased in metal) erected by Earl De La Warr in 1745, marks the location where King William II of England (referred to as William Rufus due to his red faced complexion) died in a hunting accident on 2 August 1100. Some mystery still envelopes the events of his death. Read More »

Vernham Dean

The old Roman road called Chute Causeway, is said to be haunted by a pastor who abandoned the villagers of Vernham Dean to die during the Black Death in 1665. Read More »

Warblington Castle

An octagonal turret or tower from the gatehouse is all that remains of the Grade II listed Warblington Castle, which could have been described as a moated manor house. Situated on private land, the castle is not accessible, which reputedly does not stop its ghostly visitors. Read More »

Warblington Parsonage

The parsonage in Warblington was said to be haunted in the late 17th century. Though I do not believe the building to exist today, I understand it may have stood on Pook Lane. Below is how the story was published in 1897 in ‘The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain’ by John Ingram. Read More »

The Wherwell Cockatrice

Wherwell Cockatrice

Nothing now remains of Wherwell Priory and a Manor House now stands in its place. The priory was founded by Queen Elfrida, widow of King Edgar the Peaceful circa 986AD. Read More »

Winchester UFO (1976)

On 14th November 1976 about 9.00pm near Winchester, Joyce Bowles and Ted Pratt were driving down the A272 when the car started to jolt and shake, and then veered off the road into a grass verge by the roadside. The car was subject to electrical interference as the engine roared, and the lights seemed to be shine brighter than normal. Read More »



Share/Save

Navigation

Recent comments

Featured Site