You are hereAppuldurcombe House
Appuldurcombe House is the impressive shell of a grand 18th century baroque style stately home of the Worsley family.
The house was built in the early 1700s, replacing a large Tudor mansion left to Sir Robert Worsley. Sir Robert never saw the house fully completed as the house was greatly extended in the 1770s by his great nephew Sir Richard. The famous 'Capability' Brown was commissioned to design the 11-acre ornamental grounds at the same time as the extensions. Although partially ruined it still retains an air of its baroque grandeur - when it was the "grandest house on the Isle of Wight".
The House saw many changes from the latter part of the 19th century to the present day; it was a hotel, a college and even served as an abode for a small group of Benedictine monks. The house also served as troop base during both world wars, and was badly damaged when hit by a land mine in 1943. The house has been restored from 1952 when in was saved from demolition.
The mansion is reported to be haunted by a number of ghosts, no mansion would be complete without the ubiquitous phantom carriage, and Appuldurcombe is no exception. The house is also haunted by phantom monks clad in brown, and the sound of a crying baby.
More information on the hauntings of Appuldurcombe House can be found in Gay Baldwin's The Isle of Wight Ghost Book IV, also consider her website: ghost-island.com
Within the village of Wroxall off the B3327 to Ventnor, the house is well signposted.