You are hereKent

Kent


16 Waterdales, Northfleet

In the 1966 this house hit the news paper headlines with a suspected poltergeist. David Mills in a News Shopper article entitled 'NORTH KENT: Is where you live haunted?' gave the following description of the case. Read More »

Bayham Old Abbey

Established in 1207, Bayham, a Premonstratensian abbey was created from two floundering monastic sites at Otham and Brockley. It was built from local sandstone and being right on the border between Kent and Sussex, Bayham had a gate in each county. Read More »

Beacon Wood Country Park Big Cat (2006)

This 300 feet high round hill, historically surrounded by ancient woodland once had a beacon upon its summit which was part of the beacon chain used to warn of the approaching Spanish Armada during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Read More »

Biddenden Maids

Biddenden Maids

Every Easter Monday the village of Biddenden, not far from Staplehurst in Kent, is the scene of old custom, called the Biddenden Maids' Charity. Tea, cheese and bread are given to local widows and pensioners at the Old Workhouse, while the celebrated Biddenden Cakes, baked from flour and water, are distributed among the spectators. Read More »

Black Prince

An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website refers to the ghost of a knight that is thought to be the "Black Prince" which has been seen towards Bexley, near to the old Rochester Way.

Blue Bell Hill

There are many reports here of a phantom hitchhiker on the A229 south of Chatham. The reports began in 1968, and usually involved a young girl (possibly a bride to be or a bridesmaid who was killed at the foot of the hill in 1965), flagging down cars and asking for a lift.

Bullace Lane, Dartford

According to ‘Some Notes on the Road from London to Canterbury in the Middle Ages’ (1898) Edited by Henry Littlehales ‘The ancient house at the corner of the lane on the left a few yards before we reach the church*, is thus mentioned in Mr, Dunkin's history : —
Read More »

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Newington

The Grade I listed Church of St Mary the Virgin in Newington possibly dates from as early as 1163 and was built by Richard de Lucy. There is a Devil legend attached to the church relating to a stone that once stood on the corner of Church Lane but was moved to the church entrance in 1936. Read More »

Churchfield Wood Big Cat (2005)

According to Alison White in a Newshopper article entitled ‘Sightings of big cats rocket in past month’ (30 December 2006), in January 2005 ‘News Shopper reported how a big cat had been seen near Churchfield Woods, Bexley Village. Read More »

Cloera, Ireland/Gravesend, Kent/Bristol UFO (1211AD)

In 1211AD Gervase of Tilbury recorded a strange event in the borough of Clorea in Ireland. During a Sunday Mass at the church of St Kinarus in the borough of Cloera, an anchor was seen to descend from the sky and hook on to the church door. Read More »

Dartford Crossing

The Dartford Crossing which consists of two tunnels and a bridge takes the A282 over the River Thames as part of London’s M25 orbital ring road linking Dartford with Thurrock. The first tunnel opened in 1963, the second in 1980 and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge in 1991. Read More »

Dartford Heath Big Cat (2006)

Helen Wagstaff in a 23 December 2006 story entitled '2 more big cats sighted in county' (Kentonline) gives the following account of an experience around Dartford Heath. Read More »

Dartford Heath Civil War Ghost

An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website mentions the ghost of a horseman dating from the English Civil War that rides slowly from the East of Heath Lane towards Wilmington.

Dartford Heath Knight

An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website refers to the apparition of a Saxon or Norman knight that rides the Leyton Cross part of the heath, appearing to come in from the Birchwood Road area.

Dick Turpin, Dartford Heath

Dartford Heath appears to be one of the many locations reputedly haunted by Dick Turpin and Black Bess. According to the Perception 9 website they ride across the heath, following a route across Shepherd's Lane towards Bexley.

Dover Castle

Dover Castle

A headless drummer boy who was murdered during the Napoleanic wars is said to haunt the castle as are a monk and a Roman soldier. The castle was also the scene of an ASSAP vigil in which a door in the castle was filmed shaking violently. Read More »

Falling Ghost, Dartford Heath

The following firsthand account of a haunt like experience dates from before the construction of the A2 and appeared on the Perception 9 website’s article about the many ghosts of Dartford Heath. Read More »

George Inn, Newington

The George public house at 49 High Street is now closed and the building is now a private residence. This old 17th century inn is Grade II listed and had a reputation of being haunted by the ghost of a monk that was blamed for smashing glasses.

Goodwin Sands

The Goodwin Sands is a treacherous sand bank in the Channel a few miles off Deal, which has been the site of litterally hundreds of shipwrecks in centuries past, one of the last notable victims being the Ross Revenge, last of the pirate radio ships, in 1991. Read More »

Hall Place

Hall Place, Bexley Village, is a Grade I listed building and records show that a manor has existed within its grounds since 1241. It is supposedly haunted by three ghosts. Read More »

Henry Jacob's Ghost

The following account of an apparition experienced by the physician and politician Dr William Jacob (Born 1623 – Died 1692) was taken from 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' by John Ingram (1897). Read More »

Hoo St Werburgh Witch Buried

On 14 March 2009 a funeral service and burial was held at Hoo St Werburgh parish church for the remains of a suspected witch, buried seven centuries ago and discovered in an archaeological dig in 2007. On 3rd March 2009, The Daily Mail printed the following article entitled ‘Teenage 'witch' decapitated 700 years ago to be given Christian funeral service.' Read More »

Kentish Longtails

The inhabitants of Strood in Kent were once nicknamed Kentish Longtails. Though this could relate to the belief in medieval mainland Europe that the English had tails, there is a folk tale relating a curse placed on the people of Strood by Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury. Read More »

Kit's Coty House

A Bronze Age cromlech is said to mark the grave of Kit, who was killed in a fifth century battle. The battle is also said to be re-fought by ghostly soldiers.

Leeds Castle

Leeds Castle

Leeds Castle is named after Led who is supposed to have been the Chief Minister of King Ethelbert IV of Kent. Originally a Saxon manor house called Esledes, built in AD857, it consisted of a wooden palisade and earthwork enclosure. It was granted to the Godwin family by King Edward the Confessor but did not become a stone castle until Robert Crevecoeur started upgrading it in 1119. Read More »



Share/Save

Navigation

Recent comments

Featured Site