You are hereOxfordshire
The Grade II listed Old Gaol in Abingdon dates from 1811 and was the first British jail with wings. It closed as a jail in 1868. Between 1974 and 2002 the building as used a leisure centre and it was during this time that it gained a reputation of being haunted. Read More »
The house is said to be haunted by the ghost of a Roundhead, a soldier fighting on the side of Cromwell during the English Civil war. He appears sitting near to the fire in one of the bedrooms. Read More »
On 7 June 1799, twenty nine year old Mrs Sarah Fletcher committed suicide at Courtiers. She hung herself from the curtain rails of her four-poster bed using a handkerchief and a piece of cord. It is said that she was driven to take her own life after she discovered her husband, who was a Captain in the Royal Navy was arranging a bigamous marriage to a wealthy heiress. Read More »
On 18 November 1750 the crisis apparition of John Bonnell, born 1732 in Stanton Harcourt was witnessed by two people as it exited The Queen's College* of which Bonnell was a member. The following account of this experience was taken from ‘The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain’ (1897) by John Ingram. Read More »
On 8 September 1560 Lady Amy Dudley (née Robsart), wife of Sir Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester, (24 June 1532 – 4 September 1588) was found dead at Cumnor Place after apparently falling down a flight of stairs. Read More »
In the 1960's the vicarage in Deddington was reported to be haunted by the ghost of its former resident, Revd Maurice Frost. Read More »
The churchyard is said to be haunted by the headless apparition of Hampden Pye, who was an Officer in the Royal Navy during the 17th century.
According to the story Hampden's step mother hated him and bribed the captain of his ship to have him accidentally decapitated by a cannon during an engagement. Read More »
1st May - is Garland Dressing Day in Charlton On Otmoor. A wooden cross is bedecked with Yew and Box leaves.
The Story of Llud and Llevelys appears in the The Mabinogion and here is the translation published by Lady Charlotte Guest (1877). Read More »
This ancient trackway, believed to date to the Neolithic period, is said to be haunted by Roman legionaries and Black dogs.
At one time, before modern transport allowed freedom of movement, it was believed to lead directly to hell.
The Kenton Theatre in Henley on Thames dates from 7 November 1805 and is thought to be the fourth oldest working theatre in Great Britain. With a 234 seat capacity the theatre is small and run by a group of volunteers. It is also a location where haunting like activity has been reported. Read More »
Mary Blandy (Born 1720) was executed on 6 April 1752 outside Oxford Castle for murdering her father, Francis Blandy at the request of her lover, Captain William Henry Cranstuon. As with Mary Queen of Scots, Oliver Cromwell and several other famous ghosts, Miss Blandy reputedly haunts at numerous locations over several counties. Read More »
Mary Blandy was executed on 6 April 1752 for the muder of her father Francis Blandy in Henley on Thames. The location of Mary Blandy’s execution was either the Westgate prison mound or in the Castle Yard in Oxford, both of which are very close to each other. Read More »
Although the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin in Henley on Thames dates from the 13th Century (with alterations and remodelling from the 15th and 19th Centuries), it is suspected the origins of the church may date back as far 1000AD. Read More »
In 1706 the rectory at Souldern was the site of a reported apparitional experience, in which the witness apparently conversed with the ghost and received a warning that his own death was soon approaching. Read More »
The Rollright Stones are an early Bronze Age stone circle consisting of around 70 weathered stones, the ring is 100 feet in diameter and none of the stones are over 4 feet in height. Read More »
Within a small woodland adjacent to the ancient Ridgeway path, where it crosses the parish of East Hendred, stands Scutchamer Knob. It is a raised earth mound and legend has it, that it is the burial mound of the Saxon king Cwichelm. Read More »
Sinnoden Hill standing next to Harp hill, was once a Roman Fort during the period of their occupation. Legend suggests that there is buried treasure on the hill, hidden in Roman times in an area called the money pit. Read More »
The church has a siting legend attached to it, every morning when the stone masons returned to the field in which the church was being built, they would find the stones to have mysteriously moved to another site. Eventually after happening on a number of occasions the workmen gave up and built the church where the stones reappeared. The Devil was blamed as the prime suspect. Read More »
Situated in Turville, a village well known for the filming of ’Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ ‘Midsomer Murders’ and ‘The Vicar of Dibley’, the Bull and Butcher dates from 1550 and is a grade II listed building. In 1942 another film was shot here in Turville called ‘Went the Day Well‘, when the village was portrayed as being under German occupation. Read More »
There is an early mention of the house formerly known as Poplars having been haunted. This is included on the website just a piece of historical interest and to add to the geographical mapping of reported activity, old and young. Read More »
Hills, mounds and burial sites. Places which have a timeless allure. Such places can be seen and regarded as mythically liminal, a place that it is not a place. A place outside of time. A place where the living freely walk with the dead. Barrows are just such places. Read More »
The White Horse of Uffington is one of the most impressive sites close to the ancient Ridgeway path, which traverses the steep chalk downs brooding over the Vale of the White Horse. Other sites include Dragon Hill, The Manger and Uffington Castle, which have been the subject of legend and folklore for over a thousand years. Read More »