You are hereEngland / Avon Gazetteer

Avon Gazetteer



Javascript is required to view this map.

Avon Gazetteer

19 Bennett Street, Bath

Admiral Arthur Phillip, the First Governor of Australia lived at 19 Bennett Street in Bath from 1806 and died here in 1814. The Dictionary of National Biography gives th efollowing account of his life and career. 'PHILLIP, ARTHUR (1738–1814), vice-admiral and first governor of New South Wales, was born in the parish of Allhallows, Bread Street, London, on 11 Oct. 1738. Read More »

20 Henrietta Street, Bath

20 Henrietta Street is thought to be haunted by the disembodied footsteps of Rear Admiral Mark Robinson (25 April 1722 – 23 November 1799). Read More »

71 Great Pulteney Street, Bath

The plaque outside 71 Great Pulteney Street reads ‘Admiral Earl Howe K.G. lived here in 1794, 1795 & 1798. B. 1725 d. 1799’ and according to some sources his apparition was seen during the 1970’s in his uniform. Read More »

8 Gay Street, Bath

The author and diarist Hester Lynch Piozzi (née Salusbury, surname of first marriage Thrale) (Born 1741 – Died 1821) who was a friend of Dr. Samuel Johnson (Born 18 September 1709 – Died 13 December 1784), lived at 8 Gay Street in Bath. I have come across a reference* to two haunt like experiences relating to the house, but I cannot comment on the validity of them. Read More »

All Saints Vicarage, Bristol

In 1846 the Bristol Times published the following story entitled ‘A Ghost at Bristol’ which concentrated on the vicarage of the Grade II listed All Saints Church, parts of which date back to the 12th Century. Read More »

Arnos Manor Hotel, Bristol

Built as a home in 1760 by local merchant William Reeve, the seventy three bed-roomed Arnos Manor Hotel has a reputation of being haunted. The Arnos Manor has its own Chapel in which Nuns would ran a girls school. One of the reported ghost stories involves a nun who is suspected to have fallen pregnant. She reputedly committed suicide and was bricked up in a wall. Read More »

Banwell Cross

A two feet high pillow mound earthwork shaped as a cross in Banwell has a Devil legend attached to it. According to the story, the villagers of Banwell attempted to erect a large cross on Banwell Hill, but each night the Devil would come along and blow it down. In order to prevent this the villagers decided to create the cross on the ground making it difficult for the Devil to destroy. Read More »

Bath (Aqua Sullis)

Bath (Aqua Sullis)

The hot springs and the Roman bath house are a Celtic/Roman sacred place, dedicated to the Sullis and the goddess Minerva. In myth the sacred spring was discovered by King Bladud, who was cured of leprosy by the healing waters and mud. Read More »

Bath Assembly Rooms

The Grade I listed Bath Assembly Rooms date from 1769 and were designed by John Wood, the Younger (Born 25 February 1728 – Died 18 June 1782). It is said to be haunted by a thin hunched figure wearing a black robe and large black hat. This figure is also thought the Saville Row which is behind the Assembly Rooms. Read More »

Bathampton Down & The Battle of Badon Hill

It is thought by some that Bathampton Down and it's Iron Age hillfort, Bathampton Camp, may have been the location for the early 6th century legendary Siege or Battle of Badon Hill (also known as the Battle of Badon or the Battle of Mount Badon), in which King Arthur’s Britons halted the advance of the Saxons into Britain. Read More »

Beast of Banwell (2007)

In September 2007 an unidentified animale tagged the Beast Banwell was seen by Helen Stokes whilst she walked her dog. The following article entitled 'Back - the Beast of Banwell' from the Eastern Daily Press website is dated 14 September 2007. Read More »

Bedminster Crocodile (2014)

The Bristol Post published the following article entitled 'Bristol police hunt for crocodile in Bedminster after bus driver reports seeing one on the loose' (3 February 2014)

Police carried out a 'big game' hunt today after a bus driver reported seeing a six foot crocodile on the loose. Read More »

The Legend of Bladud

Bladud was the legendary founder of Bath and the sacred temple of Aqua Sullis. He is mentioned in Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain and The Life of Merlin, written in the twelfth century. The source of the original legend is obscure. Read More »

Bristol Cathedral

Bristol Cathedral

The origins of Bristol Cathedral date back to 1140, when Robert Fitzharding(e) founded St Augustine’s Abbey on the Deanery Road site and it is a phantom monk that is said to remain and haunt the building. This abbey was designed in the Norman style though very little of this remains today, though the gatehouse and chapterhouse are 12th century. Read More »

Bristol Old Vic

Bristol Old Vic

Work commenced on the construction of The Theatre Royal, Bristol (home of ‘The Bristol Old Vic’ theatre company) in 1764 and the first performance was held there on 30th May 1766.  According to a 2002 Bristol Evening News article; ‘the old Bristol theatre is reportedly haunted by the ghost of actress Sarah Siddons and her repeat performances at the theatre are the stuff Read More »

Clifton Suspension Bridge

Clifton Suspension Bridge Tower

Spanning the Avon Gorge between Leigh Woods in Somerset and Clifton in Bristol (a distance of 214 meters), the Grade I listed Clifton Suspension Bridge has been an iconic landmark for nearly 150 years and although it was originally designed for horse drawn vehicles, today it carries 4 million cars each year. Read More »

Congresbury Church

The Yew trees in the church yard are said to be the relatives of an ancient tree which sprouted from a staff planted in the ground by St Congar. Yew trees grow very slowly and are often found in ancient churchyards. In many cases they are the descendants of ancient trees planted when the church was first built. The story may be a folk memory related to the original planting. Read More »

Curfew Inn, Bath

The Curfew Inn at 11 Cleveland Place, Bath dates from around the 1820’s.  It was designed by Henry Edmund Goodridge (Born 1797 – Died 26 October 1864) who’s other work include the Grade II listed Cleveland Bridge in Bath and the folly now known as Beckford's Tower though originally named Lansdown Tower.   Read More »

Dandy of Gay Street

Designed in 1735 by John Wood, the Elder, (Born 1704 – Died 23 May 1754), Gay Street links The Circus with Queen Square. On 22 August 2001, the Daily Sport reported that the apparition of a well-dressed 17th Century Regency dandy, had been sighted by several American tourists on Gay Street in Bath. They went on to suggest that the ghost only appears to men.

Devonshire Arms, Bath

The cellar of the Devonshire Arms at 139 Wellsway is thought to have been haunted by a 19th century girl who died on the nearby railway line. Amongst the experiences said to have been reported include a member of staff having their shirt pulled by unseen hands and bolted doors opening. Read More »

Freezing Hill, Bath

Landsdown Hill, Tog Hill and Freezing Hill were the site of the English Civil War Battle of Lansdowne (Lansdown), which was fought on 5 July 1643. The Parliamentarian force under Sir William Waller (Born C 1597 – Died 19 September 1668) was forced to retreat by the Royalist troops led by Lord Ralph Hopton, 1st Baron Hopton (Born March 1596 – Died September 1652). Read More »

Grosvenor Place, Bath

Grosvenor Place, Bath is made up of 42 terraced houses dating from around 1790 and built by John Eveleigh. Read More »

Henrietta Street, Bath

John Ingram in his 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' (1897) gives the following description of a haunting realated to a murder in Henrietta Street. 'Other tales, more or less circumstantial, have been related to us of houses in Bath, including one in Henrietta Street, Great Pulteney Street. Read More »

Landsdown Crescent, Bath

Designed by John Palmer (Born 1738 – Died 19 July 1817), Lansdown Crescent is great example of Georgian architecture. Made up of twenty houses built between 1789 and 1793, Lansdown Crescent is Grade I. In 1897, John Ingram mentioned the following haunting in his 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain'. Read More »

Linley House, 1 Pierrepoint Place, Bath

The Bath Festival Office, which several decades ago was the scene of some strange experiences, can be found at Linley House, 1 Pierrepoint Place, Bath. Read More »

Naked Ghost

According to ‘They Still Serve: A Complete Guide to the Military Ghosts of Britain’ by Richard McKenzie ‘Tradition States that the naked ghost of a Roman soldier has been seen running around the centre of the town. It is said that a police officer once gave chase to the phantom streaker only to watch it fade into nothing. Read More »

Queen's Square, Bath

The apparition of a jilted bride named Julia is thought to haunt Queen’s Square dressed in a white gown, possibly he wedding dress.

Raining Jellyfish (1894)

In 1894 jellyfish were apparently reported falling like rain from the sky in Bath.  If anyone knows any further details about this event please leave a comment below. 

Royal Victoria Park, Bath

Opened in 1830 by Princess Victoria (24 May 1819 – 22 January 1901) (Queen Victoria from 20 June 1837), the Royal Victoria Park is 57 aces in size.  The following account by the author Andrew Green (28 July 1927 – 21 May 2004) describes haunting experiences from the 1976 on the Park’s Gravel Walk.  Read More »

SS Great Britain

Ships Rear

The SS Great Britain ranks amongst the most famous ships every built. Over 160 years old she now rests in same the dry dock that was specially created for her construction in Bristol harbour. The dock itself is now airtight and environmentally controlled to preserve the mighty vessel and prevent her wrought iron hull from being eaten by corrosion. Read More »

St Andrew’s Church, Banwell

The following article entitled ‘The Glory of Banwell Church’, edited by Jill Bailey, was originally published on 28 September 1963 and republished in the The Weston Mercury on 23 May 2008. Read More »

Stanton Drew Stone Circle

Stanton Drew(1)

The Neolithic ritual site of Stanton Drew consists of three stone circles and a group of stones referred to as 'The Cove'. The largest of the circles known as the Great Circle consists of 27 stones, most of which are recumbent (lying down) having fallen in the past. Read More »

Stoney Littleton Long Barrow

This early Neolithic Long Barrow was constructed around 3700BC. The forecourt is flanked by two projecting horns, which frame the entrance to the passageway. The actual passageway extends under the mound for 48 feet and has 3 chambers on either side of the passage and 1 end chamber. These were found to contain a mixed group of bones some of them burned, from a number of different burials. Read More »

Strada Restaurant, Bath

The Strada restaurant in Beau Nash House, Saint John's Place, Bath is beside the Theatre Royal and as the building name suggests it was lived in by the dandy Richard Beau Nash (Born 18 October 1674 – Died 3 February 1761). Read More »

The Crystal Palace, Bath

Crystal Palace

The Crystal Palace on Abbey Green in Bath is so called in commemoration of The Grand Exhibition which took place in Hyde Park, London between 1 May 1851 and 15 October 1851. Prior to this name change, the Inn was known as The Three Tuns. Read More »

The Garricks Head, Bath

The Garrick’s Head at 7-8 St. Johns Place, Bath can be found adjacent to the Theatre Royal and is Grade II listed. Read More »

The George Inn, Bathampton

The Grade II listed George Inn on Mill Lane in Bathampton dates from the mid late 17th century and is thought to be haunted by Viscount John Baptiste Du Barry who was killed on Bathampton Down on18 November 1778 during the last legal duel in Britain. His mortally wounded body is said to have been brought into The George Inn where he finally died. Read More »

The Grappa Wine Bar

The Grappa Wine Bar on Lansdown Road, Bath was originally a public house known as the Beehive which in the 1970’s had a reputation for being haunted by a friendly serving maid which the licensees referred to as Bunty. Read More »

The Lamb Inn

The Lamb Inn

Demolished in 1905, The Lamb Inn became a centre of attention during the 18th century with an investigated and well reported poltergeist like haunting that lasted over a year. The Lamb Inn dated from 1651 and stood between Gloucester Land and Lawford Street. There is I believe nothing remaining of the old building now. Read More »

The Llandoger Trow, Bristol

Llandoger Trow

The Llandoger Trow is a fantastic looking building which dates from 1664 and can be found on King Street, across from the Theatre Royal in Bristol. The pub has a long tradition of serving those connected with the arts and the men who worked the sea. It also has a reputation of being haunted. Read More »

The New Crown Inn, Bath

The following historical description about The New Crown Inn at 21 Newbridge Hill and their reputed ghost can be found on their website.   Read More »

The Salamander, Bath

Referred to locally as ‘The Sally’, The Salamander can be found at 3 John Street, Bath, a Grade II listed building dating back to 1736. Haunt like experiences have been reported here during this century at least, including unexplained footsteps and unaccounted for singing and talking being heard. Read More »

The WestGate, Bath

The following paragraph from the pubs in Bath website refers to it being haunted. 'Situated in the bustling centre not 100 metres from the famous baths, the WestGate is a lively meeting place with a twist on the traditional pub. Read More »

Theatre Royal, Bath

Theatre Royal

The Theatre is haunted by a Grey Lady, she has been seen many times over the years by actors and actresses.  Legend suggests that she is the ghost of an actress who committed suicide in the Garricks Head next door, after a duel between her lover and her husband left her lover dead. Read More »

Villa Fields, Bath

Named after the Bathwick Villa (Built 1777 – Demolished 1897), the area around what is now Forester Road was known as Villa Fields. Read More »



Share/Save

Ancient Site
Cryptozoology
Featured Site
Festival
Folklore
Haunting
Legend
Occult
Other Mystery
UFO

Navigation

Recent comments

Featured Site