You are hereEngland / Berkshire Gazetteer
The tiny atmospheric parish church at Aldworth, contains numerous huge effigies of the De La Beche family. The figures are supposed to be life size representations, depicting knights all over seven feet tall. The De La Beche family were powerful landowners and knights in the 14th century. Read More »
The origins of Bisham Abbey began with the Knight Templars, who built a preceptory here in the 12th century. The preceptory became an Augustine Priory and then a Benedictine Abbey in 1537. This did not last for long as the same year saw the dissolution of many Abbeys under Henry VIII, and the destruction of Bisham Abbey was soon to follow. Read More »
To the West of Newbury lie the villages of Kintbury and Inkpen. From here, you can follow a pleasant country road climbing the chalk downs to the south. There are a couple of viewing places near the summit of Combe down, and the scenery is fantastic for miles around.
Here you will find Combe gibbet, and the remains of the Iron Age (600 BC to 50 AD) Walbury hill fort (SU3761). Read More »
According to local legend, the bridge was haunted by the ghost of a man who met an unfortunate death here. During the 1920s a train travelling to Compton pulled to a halt with one of the carriages straddling the bridge. A male passenger stepped out of the door thinking the train had come to a halt at the platform, and fell to his death onto the road below. Read More »
Thought to be the site where the accused infanticide 'Wild' William Darrell of Littlecote House died in a hunting accident on 1 October 1589. He is said to haunt the stile.
Grims Ditches are a series of linear earthworks that stretch along part of the Berkshire border, to the Southeast of Wantage and Southwest of Chilton. The purpose of the ditches is not entirely clear but it is likely they had an enclosing function, to define land and protect it. Read More »
There is a legend associated with the Hangman's Stone found at a junction of tracks 1.5Km north of Upper Lambourn. Possibly a boundary stone or perhaps marking a site of an old gibbet, the story relates to a sheep stealer. One day a man with a stolen sheep over his shoulder rested at the stone and fell asleep. The sheep which had is legs tied began to struggle. Read More »
7th May - Hocktide which was a medieval English festival was generally celebrated on the second Tuesday after Easter. The men of the village would tie up the women and demand a kiss for their release. The following day thewomen would tie up the men and demand money for their release which would go to Parish funds. It is suggested that it celebrates the massacre of the Danes in the 11t Read More »
During mid 20th century the Little Angel Inn was reputedly the scene of haunting like phenomena which was experienced by the Bucknalls who were the licensees. The disturbances were said to take place over a 30 month period starting in 1952. Read More »
Part of the Warner Leisure group, the Littlecote House Hotel is a large Elizabethan country house with a reputation for being haunted. John Ingram in his 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain (1897) gives the following account. Read More »
Mary Blandy (Born 1720) was executed on 6 April 1752 outside Oxford Castle for murdering her father, Francis Blandy at the request of her lover, Captain William Henry Cranstuon. As with Mary Queen of Scots, Oliver Cromwell and several other famous ghosts, Miss Blandy reputedly haunts at numerous locations over several counties. Read More »
The present pub dating from the 15th century stands on the site of an earlier Inn, in which King John is said to have quaffed ale on his way to sign the Magna Carta in 1215.
The Ostrich Inn has a more macabre tale related to the unscrupulous murder of wealthy guests. During the Middle ages a couple called the Jarmans owned the pub. Read More »
Park Place is a Grade II listed building which in 2011 became the most expensive home sold in Britain with a huge £140m price tag. Dating from the early 18th century it is not surprising that there are also a few ghosts and legends attached to the site. Read More »
Seven Barrows, is a Bronze Age cemetery. There are about 38 barrows (some sources say 32) in the area of at least four different styles, but it is seven barrows found clustered together from which the name originates. It is thought that the long barrow nearby dates from 400BC and is the oldest in the United Kingdom.
An apparition is thought to have been experienced in the Christopher Inn, Windsor. The Inn dated from the 16th century and could be found next to the college on Baldwin's Bridge. This inn was closed on the order of the Head of Eton College in the mid 19th century due to its poor reputation. Read More »
Dating from the late 17th century, The New Leathern Bottle is a Grade II listed building with a reputation of being haunted. According to their website a murder took place here. They state that ‘In the mid 1800s the Leathern Bottle, as it was then, was owned and run by the Careys. Hannah Carey was known to be a loose woman and would make herself available to the men of the area. Read More »
There are many stories attached to this ancient royal park woodland, which was once a royal hunting ground and before that virgin forest. The stories all seem to suggest that the Park is haunted by an ancient supernatural being who represents lordship over animals and the masculine side of nature. Read More »
The castle was built by William the Conqueror and has been part of royal life and intrigue for nearly a thousand years.
The castle has a menagerie of royal ghosts. Henry VIII haunts the cloisters of the castle, announcing his presence his lumbering footsteps and the wheezing of his breath. Read More »