You are hereHauntings
RAF Scampton reopened in 1936 (originally having opened as Home Defence Flight Station Brattleby in 1916, renamed Scampton in 1917 and closed in 1919) and at the outbreak of World War II it was transferred to Bomber Commands No. 5 Group, being the base for 83 Squadron, 49 Squadron, 57 Squadron and 617 Squadron (the Dambusters). Read More »
Kings Mill was built upon the site of RAF West Malling, which was formed in 1940 when Maidstone Airport was requisitioned by the military. West Malling was assigned to Fighter Command, C Sector. Following WWII it continued as an RAF base and then was used by the US Navy Air Force. It closed as a military air base in 1969 and as an airfield in the1980’s. Read More »
There has been an inn at this location since the 13th century. The Inn has been the scene of various paranormal events, including various apparitions, strange amorphous shapes caught on photographs, poltergeist activity, disembodied voices, footsteps and severe temperature anomalies. Read More »
The following extract is taken from an article by Andrew Watt entitled ‘15 ghost sightings in Bedford’, which was published in Bedfordshire on Sunday (10 March 2015). ‘On the 30th September 1999, a woman awoke to find her dead grandmother sitting by her bed. Read More »
Ramhurst Manor House is a Grade II listed private residence on Powder Mill Lane dating from the 16th century or earlier. In the middle of the 19th century some strange experiences in the house resulted in it gaining a reputation for being haunted by members of the Children family who had resided there during the 18th century. Read More »
The ghost of James Mounsey, builder of the house and former physician to the Russian Royal family, haunts Rammerscales Mansion . Mounsey gained fame and wealth as doctor to Czar Peter, but when Czar Peter III was murdered Mounsey fled Russia and returned to Scotland. He became convinced that secret agents were trying to kill him and faked his own funeral. Read More »
Supposedly haunted by a milkmaid who keeps repeating "Weight and measure sold I ever, milk and water sold I never" as she walks up and down. Perhaps she has a guilty conscience about something.
Reculver is a popular summer holiday resort on the north coat of Kent. It has two key sites of archaeological interest, the remains of a Roman fort and a ruined medieval church. Read More »
The Brandywine Creek State Park in northern Delaware near Wilmington is home to appearances of a large dog or fox which is often seen to rise up into the apparition of Gil Thoreau, an outdoorsman. Not much information is known on this creature.
The Red Lion Hotel is a Grade I listed Building dating back to 1465. It is said to have two ghosts: a young girl who haunts the kitchen and, a monk who perished in a fire.
Laid out in 1698, Red Lion Square is on the boundary between Holborn and Bloomsbury and was named after the Red Lion Inn that used to be on the site. Red Lion Square is reputedly haunted by the regicides Oliver Cromwell, John Bradshaw and Henry Ireton. Read More »
The Red Lion is reputed to be haunted the spectre of a young woman who, was said to have been thrown down the well of the pub, (now covered with glass) hundreds of years ago. Read More »
Redworth Hall is a four star hotel, spa and wedding venue, positioned approximately eight miles from Darlington, and twenty miles from Durham. The building dates back to 1693 and has retained many of its unique features including the Baronial Great Hall and an elaborate spiral staircase. Previous owners of the Hall are a variety of members of the Crosier and Surtees families. Read More »
Not much now remains of the scene where this famous case took place, with just a single skeletal tree marking the location of the Ring Plantation at Ringcroft of Stocking where in 1695 the home of Andrew Mackie in the parish of Rerrick was reputedly haunted by a poltergeist and this caused a stir in Scotland after the case was published in a pamphlet by the local minister. Read More »
In 1706 the rectory at Souldern was the site of a reported apparitional experience, in which the witness apparently conversed with the ghost and received a warning that his own death was soon approaching. Read More »
The following account from ‘Haunted Churches’ (1939) by Elliott O'Donnell (27 February 1872 - 8 May 1965) refers to a Devil tradition associated with three churches in close proximity, though he does not name the individual church. Read More »
The ghost of Richard Cloudesley is associated with the parish church of St Mary in Islington. The account of the haunting extracted below is taken from a publication entitled ‘The Islington ghost! A short account of the burial of a gentleman [R. Cloudesley] with a relation of several strange appearances which followed! (1842)’. Read More »
Spectral Roman armies where seen marching into the sea during the World War II Watches. The area around Richborough was a Roman port during the occupation and the Roman Fort was very important strategically. Though the fort originally overlooked a port, it is now two miles from the sea.
A legend associated with this mound was reflected by archaeological findings during excavation. A druid priest was said to haunt the mound, he would offer travellers a drink from a golden cup filled with a magical brew, which could not be drained. Read More »
The Ring O'Bells is said to be one of the oldest buildings in Middleton, and may be one of its most haunted. Historically the pub's foundations are thought to date all the way back to Saxon times, and legend has it that a Druidical temple stood at this spot in the Iron Age - perhaps a place of ancient sacrifice. Read More »
Between 1935 and 1966 an open air lido or swimming pool could be found at the bottom of Tenterhill Lane at Tenterhill Mill. There are stories that the Riviera was haunted. The Paranormal Database refers to a male figure that was sometimes seen standing outside the pool. Read More »
Based upon a plan made by E. W. Cox in 1892, Rivington Castle is a folly and reconstruction of William II de Ferrers, 4th Earl of Derby’s, 13th century Liverpool Castle. Rivington Castle dates from 1912, when the building work began. It was built by William Hesketh Lever, 1st Viscount Leverhulme (Born 19 September 1851 – Died 7 May 1925) and can be found in Lever Park. Read More »
Oldnall Road, a seemingly unremarkable two-mile rural stretch of B-road between the towns of Halesowen and Stourbridge in the West Midlands, hit the international headlines a few months ago (1) following reports of a series of sightings of an apparition. Reports of 'road ghosts' are nothing unusual, they form an important part of 'ghost lore' throughout the world (2). Read More »
A chapel, dedicated to St Michael, was built on this rock in 1409 by a hermit. Traditionally a leper is said to have taken refuge here.
The area is reputed to be haunted by a miner, he makes his presence known either by making noises within the chapel, or by a shadow that flits from rock to rock with no earthly presence to cast it. Read More »