You are hereHauntings
In 'Welsh Folk-lore' (1887), Elias Owen recounts a conversation concerning a ghost he had with Mr. Read More »
The Tyn-y-Groes Hotel is an old drovers inn dating the sixteenth century. I found a reference in a Snowdonia walking book stating strange haunting like phenomena was supposed to have been reported shortly after a young girl was run down in a traffic accident on the A470, just outside the building. Read More »
Raymond Lamont Brown gives the following account of a ghost ship in his 'Phantoms Legends, Customs and Superstitions Of The Sea (1972)'. 'Spectre ships have been long seen on the coast of Uist (Outer Hebrides, Inverness, Scotland)', and one particular story was often related by Shony Campbell (Seonaidh Caimbeul)* the famous storyteller and Gaelic poet. Read More »
Between Uniondale and Willowmore, in the semi-desert area of the Karoo there is a very well known story about a phantom hitchhiking girl called Maria. On 12th April 1968 there was a car accident on the N9 road to Willowmore, near the town of Uniondale. The car, a Volkswagen Beetle, was occupied by a young off duty Air Force Lieutenant and his fiancé who was asleep on the back seat. Read More »
In 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' (1897), John Ingram gives the following account of a haunting associated with Canongate in Edinburgh. Named after the Augustine canons of Holyrood Abbey, Canongate can be found at the lower eastern part of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh and the mansion referred to is according Ingram no longer standing. Read More »
On 7th December 1941 the US Pacific Fleet was attacked in Pearl Harbour by aircraft of the Imperial Japanese Navy, bringing the United States of America into World War II. The attack lasted 90 minutes and resulted in the loss of 2,386 American lives and wounding a further 1,139. Read More »
The old Roman road called Chute Causeway, is said to be haunted by a pastor who abandoned the villagers of Vernham Dean to die during the Black Death in 1665. Read More »
Viborg used to be called Wibierga, “Holy Mountains”, because the hills here at the centre of the ancient road and ley line network in the heart of Jutland were sacred since stone age times. Read More »
The following article entitled ‘Yard was foreman's favourite haunt’ appeared in the Shields Gazette on Tuesday 19 June 2007 and concerns a ghost that haunted the Elswick facilities of the Vickers Armstrong Ltd a manufacturer of aircraft, artillery, ships and military vehicles.
Read More »
A former bank that was converted into a jeweller's around 1959 was haunted. Footsteps could be heard on the tall flight of steps within the building but nobody could account for them. They finally stopped when the floor was lifted and an old well uncovered. The well had been partially filled and when they were emptying it they discovered a headless skeleton. Read More »
In the past staff of this hotel claimed to have seen a shadowy shape on the stairs. The site of the hotel used to have a house upon it, which was reputedly haunted and connected to a murder.
The Point (Canvey Point) is reputedly haunted by a phantom Viking. Raymond Lamont Brown in his 'Phantoms Legends, Customs and Superstitions Of The Sea (1972)' described the ghost as being '6 feet tall, fierce looking, with a beard and long moustaches.' He goes on to say that 'Wildfowlers and fishermen who have seen him say that he wears a horned helmet and jerkin of coarse leather. Read More »
In AD60 or 61AD the final battle between the Romans and the rebel Briton's led by Boudica (or Boudicca or Boadicea) was fought and is known as the Battle of Watling Street (or Battle of Paulerspury). No one actually knows where this battle described as being ‘being approached by a narrow defile with a wood at the back and a plain in the front ‘ by Tacitcus took place. Read More »
A strange experience concerning a potential haunting was recounted in the The Diary of Abraham de la Pryme, the Yorkshire Antiquary, published 1870. This haunting seemed to have made an impression on 17th century Cambridge though given the way in which the activity ceased it is very possible that the events were hoaxed. Read More »
Walpole House on Chiswick Mall was the home of the courtesan Barbara Palmer, 1st Duchess of Cleveland, Countess of Castlemaine (Barbara Villiers) (born November 1640 – died 9 October 1709), former mistress of King Charles II (29 May 1630 – 6 February 1685). Read More »
Wanstead Park is reputedly haunted by Catherine Tylney-Long (born 2 October 1789 – died 12 September 1825) who was once the richest woman in England (excluding Royalty) and lost everything due to her husband and his excessive lifestyle. Read More »
The skull that resides at Wardley Hall is another skull with opposing legends to account for its existence. In tradition the skull - which was kept behind a panel - was supposed to be that of royalist Roger Downs who lived in the 17th century. Read More »
As Wasdale had no church early in its history, the deceased had to be carried over the fells to Eskdale for internment, and this route became known as the corpse road. This is haunted by the ghost of a horse carrying the body of woman tied to it. Read More »
Washington Old Hall is a small 17th century manor owned by the National Trust and is reputedly haunted by a woman in a grey dress. Although not the original building, it is the ancestral home of George Washington's (first President of the United States) family though they then moved to Sulgrave Manor around1613. Read More »
In the 1876 book entitled ‘History of the Fylde of Lancashire’ by John Porter, reference is made to an extensive barrow or cairn near Weeton Lane Heads which was accidentally opened. This burial chamber had the reputation of being haunted by a boggart or hairy ghost. Read More »
On 19th November 1995 Wem Town Hall burnt down. As this ninety year old building was burning some locals gathered to watch and one of them, Tony O'Rahilly, took a very interesting picture with a 200mm lens from the road. The picture, once developed, shows what appears to be a young girl in the doorway of the burning building. Read More »
The castle, built by the Wemyss family, is said to be haunted by the ghost of a Green Lady, whose identity is unknown. Read More »
The ghost of a Cavalier has been seen close to the West Walls early some mornings, though I am unaware of anyone seeing him recently. The West Walls are the last remaining example of Carlisle's defensive wall that encircled the early city. They served the city well especially during the Civil War when Carlisle was besieged by Cromwell's soldiers during 1644 and 1645. Read More »
A ghostly woman attired in a red dress has been seen crossing the road near here. She is allegedly the ghost of a young woman who died 2 weeks before her wedding day in 1776. She was last seen in 1943.
Directions: To the North of Lane End off the B482.
Whitby is associated with a wealth of traditions and legends. The abbey, now a guant ruin, was built in 651AD and destroyed in a Danish raid in 870AD, it was reconstructed by the Benedictines in the 11th Century. At one time crowds used to gather at the West side of Whitby churchyard, where there was clear view of the North side of the abbey and the highest window. Read More »