You are hereHauntings
In 1785 two junior officers serving with the 33rd Regiment of Foot in Nova Scotia had an interesting experience, witnessing the apparition of Lieutenant John Otway Wynyard, 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards. The following account of event was found in 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' by John Ingram (1897). Read More »
The York Arms is haunted by a Grey Lady. She also haunts the Theatre RoyalTheatre Royal, which stands across from it, this sounds like a linked legend, and it may be worth noting if there is a legend about a connecting tunnel.
Founded by Roger Bigod, 1st Earl of Norfolk (died 1107), the 12th century ruined Priory of St Mary at Thetford has been the site of several reported sightings of what may have been black robed cluniac monks. Read More »
February 2011: Construction of a ride at Thorpe Park called the Storm Surge has been put on hold and shifted to a new location as the original site was said to be haunted. Read More »
Thurston Clough is a hamlet near Scouthead, roughly 1.5 miles from the village of Dobcross, Saddleworth and Janette Quinlan in Mystical Oldham (2010) refers to a letter received by the Oldham Evening Chronicle in 1973 concerning Roman soldiers haunting Thurston Clough. Read More »
Tom Phillips, born around the middle of the 19th century and believed to be in his late fifties on his death, was unfortunately profoundly deaf from birth. For this reason, and because he could not enunciate intelligible speech, he was referred to by all who knew him as 'Dummy' Philips. Read More »
There are hundreds of stunning castles all over the UK and Ireland – many of which are haunted by numerous ghosts and spirits. Take a ride with us as we explore ten of the UK and Ireland’s most haunted castles.
Wardour Castle, Wiltshire Read More »
Found at 4 White Hart Street, the former White Hart Inn is now the local Tourist Information Centre. Haunting like phenomena was reported whilst the building was a pub, with unexplained footsteps being heard walking along the passageways at night. Strange experiences continue to be reported in the TIC with flickering lights and opening doors by themselves.
The first structure on the site was a motte-and-bailey castle, which was started not long after William the Conqueror became king in 1066, the castle was built on the old Roman walls, which once formed the corner of Londinium. The first stone building on the site was the White Tower, which was commissioned by William the Conqueror in 1078 and completed in 1097. Read More »
Although the Towneley family lived here since the 13th century, the present Grade I listed Towneley Hall dates from the 14th and 16th century. No longer a stately home, Towneley Hall houses Burnley's Art Gallery & Museum and perhaps a few ghosts. Read More »
In a History of the Supernatural (1863), William Howitt mentions a haunting associated with Trinity College, Cambridge. He had obtained the information from the poet William Wordsworth (7 April 1770 – 23 April 1850), who in turn had been informed of it by his youngest brother, Christopher Wordsworth (9 June 1774 – 2 February 1846), The Master of Trinity. Read More »
Trinity is a mansion house district in Edinburgh that developed in the early 1800’s and was named after Trinity House in Leith. There was a suspected case of poltergeist activity in a house in Trinity around 1835 which led to a legal battle between the supposedly haunted Captain Molesworth and his neighbour and landlord, Mr Webster. Read More »
The oldest inhabited building in Thetford, this Grade II listed building has seen some changes over the years. Originally part of a single late-medieval timber-framed house that was eventually split into No's 1, 3 and 5 Castle Street. The oldest part of the building being being No 3 and No 5 which date back to 15th century with No 1 being added as a service wing the 16th century. Read More »
Built in 1977 (whilst Britain still governed Hong Kong) the Tuen Mun Road was one of Hong Kongs first high speed roads, linking Tuen Mon and Tsuen Wan. The road apparently has a high volume of accidents and has acquired a reputation of being haunted by the ghosts of those who have died on it. Read More »
On Sunday 19th June 1966 a retired couple from Canada captured an extraordinary image on camera whilst visiting the Queens House in Greenwich. They took what is arguably the best known apparent photograph of a ghost. But this photograph is not the only piece of evidence that suggests The Queens House is haunted. Read More »
This 12th century castle hotel is said to be haunted by an aparition of a Green Lady. Tulloch Castle also has an actual tunnel that runs from it's basement to Dingwall Castle on the other side of town. Parts of the tunnel have collapsed and it is no longer in use.
Tunstead farm has a skull named Dickie that had its height of fame during the 19th century. The name seems strange in that legend suggests the skull is actually that of a woman, who was murdered within the house. Before she died she managed to blurt out that it was her wish for her remains to stay within the house forever. Read More »
Two Haunted Counties - A Ghost Hunter's Companion to Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire by Tony Broughall & Paul Adams
As it says on the back cover of the book, a twelfth century Gilbertine priory, a Chrysler car factory, a de-sanctified church and a Georgian period lavatory are just a few of the haunted localities from the case files of 1970s ghost buster Tony Broughall. Read More »
Elias Owen gives the following account of a reputed haunting in his 'Welsh Folk-lore' (1887). It would be interesting to know whether any reports of an apparition are still made from this area. Read More »
In 'Welsh Folk-lore' (1887), Elias Owen recounts a conversation concerning a ghost he had with Mr. Read More »
The Tyn-y-Groes Hotel is an old drovers inn dating the sixteenth century. I found a reference in a Snowdonia walking book stating strange haunting like phenomena was supposed to have been reported shortly after a young girl was run down in a traffic accident on the A470, just outside the building. Read More »