You are hereHauntings
During the sixteenth several martyrs were burned in Amersham on charges of heresy and the strong conviction of their beliefs. The Chequers at 51 London Road, which dates from the 15th century had a possible involvement with these sad deaths and it is speculated that the long reputed haunting of the inn may be related to them. Read More »
The Chequers is a Grade II listed building that was originally a 16th century coaching Inn. An area just outside the pub was used for public executions and some gallows stood here. According to tradition, The Chequers is haunted by the mother of an executed criminal. Read More »
Now Bill’s Salisbury restaurant, the pub at 36 Blue Boar Row prior to 2013 was The Chough. The following description of the haunting at The Chough dates from 24 October 2009 and was published in The Ocelot, an independent entertainment magazine for the Wiltshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire area. Read More »
An apparition is thought to have been experienced in the Christopher Inn, Windsor. The Inn dated from the 16th century and could be found next to the college on Baldwin's Bridge. This inn was closed on the order of the Head of Eton College in the mid 19th century due to its poor reputation. Read More »
Holy Trinity Church in Blythburgh is a Grade I listed building dating from the 14th century, which is thought to be built on the site of a much early church built in 630AD. It was said to have been visited by Black Shuck in 1577. Read More »
The church of St. Nicholas is a Grade II listed building dating from the 15th or 16th century, though it was extensively rebuilt or restored in the 18th century and early 20th century. Joining the church to the South are the ruins of Guisborough Priory which was dedicated to St Mary. Read More »
According to a local paper, George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham who used to live on Skeldergate, York, haunts The Cock and Bottle. The haunting has included the sound of door being broken, the apparition of an ugly man, and other sightings. The ghost is said to be evil and to hates crucifixes.
Now known as The Fox@Connaught (since 2003), this pub dates from 1881 and is a Grade II listed building. Read More »
The hotel is said to have been haunted by the ghost of Bonnie Prince Charlie, who stayed here in 1745. Charlie is said to haunt many places in Scotland. Read More »
The Courthouse is situated in one of the most haunted areas of Dudley. Much of the activity here is auditory with noises coming from the cellar when there has been no one down there. The names of staff are often called coming from the room upstairs again when there is nobody up there. Read More »
Standing on the bank of the seven mile long Loch Eck (and previously known as the Lock Eck Inn), The Coylet Inn is an old coaching house dating from 1650 that originally catered for travelers going between Glasgow and Dunoon. The Inn is reputedly haunted by the apparition of a ‘Blue Boy’. Read More »
The Crabmill used to be known as The Oldswinford and at one time many years ago it was a Doctor's surgery. Temporary managers are particularly wary here as they are likely to be treated to loud noises coming from the empty rooms in the early hours of the morning. Read More »
Now closed, the Grade II listed Cross Inn dated from 1792 and could be found at 6 High Road in Beeston. Whilst it was a pub there are stories of the beer barrel taps being turned off, whiskey bottles falling from their shelf and the toilet doors locking and hence trapping the occupant.
The Crown and Horseshoes public house is an 18th century Grade II listed building and can be found on Horse Shoe Lane, by the canal. The Crown and Horseshoes has in the past had a reputation for being haunted. “Other than the footsteps and the mysterious banging of doors, nothing much happens these days”, Joan Forman told the author and investigator Andrew Green in 1976. Read More »
The reputedly haunted Grade II listed Crown was originally an old coaching inn dating back to the 16th century or 17th century* and now forms part of the Dhillon Group's family of modern coaching inns. Read More »
The Crown public house in Middlebrough is currently closed. The building dates from 1923 and was originally a cinema before becoming a Bingo Hall and pub. Read More »
A previous landlord, known as Bob, allegedly haunts The Crown. He died in the cellar from a heart attack many years ago. Dogs are prone to behaving strangely when Bob is about and on one occasion a previous landlord found himself locked in his own bedroom even though he was on his own. Read More »
The Crystal Palace on Abbey Green in Bath is so called in commemoration of The Grand Exhibition which took place in Hyde Park, London between 1 May 1851 and 15 October 1851. Prior to this name change, the Inn was known as The Three Tuns. Read More »
William "Grancer" Harrison (1789-1860) was a successful plantation owner. He had the largest number of slaves in Coffee County. His nickname derives from "Grand-Sir" which he was called by the slaves. He was renowned as somewhat fun-loving man who loved dancing and feasting and would hold dances every Saturday. Read More »
In 'Collections for a history of Staffordshire' (1880) we are introduced to the following account of the events surrounding the case know as The Devil of Drakelowe and the abandonment of the hamlet. The story may have its origins in the Anglo Saxon meaning of Drakelow, 'Dragons Mound' which may indicate a burial site with a guardian spirit. Read More »
The following account entitled 'The Devil’s Tree by Eglwys Rhos' appeared in Elias Owen's 'Welsh Folk-lore' (1887). 'At the corner of the first turning after passing the village of Llanrhos*, on the left hand side, is a withered oak tree, called by the natives of those parts the Devil’s Tree, and it was thought to be haunted, and therefore the young and timid were afraid to pass it Read More »
Now an ornate pond in the civic gardens known as The Quarry, the Dingle is haunted by a ghost that was identified in the 1800s as Mrs Foxhall. She was burnt alive there in 1647 for the murder of her husband by poisoning.
The Duck public house closed in 2009 and was demolished the following year, so we will probably learn nothing anything new from this reputedly haunted building. Luckily the following article entitled 'Ghostly goings-on puzzle pub couple ' was published in the Bucks Herald on 18 February 2004. Read More »