You are hereApparitions
Now an Indian restaurant called Amaya, 1 Yardley Road was once The Castle Inn. This 17th century, Grade II listed building was described in Oliver Ratcliff’s almanac ‘Olney, Bucks’ (1907) as ‘one of the oldest inns of Olney and is supposed to stand upon the site of the old castle of Olney which stood in feudal times’. Read More »
Admiral Arthur Phillip, the First Governor of Australia lived at 19 Bennett Street in Bath from 1806 and died here in 1814. The Dictionary of National Biography gives th efollowing account of his life and career. 'PHILLIP, ARTHUR (1738–1814), vice-admiral and first governor of New South Wales, was born in the parish of Allhallows, Bread Street, London, on 11 Oct. 1738. Read More »
The famous 18th century actress Sarah Siddons (born 5 July 1755) bought 27 Upper Baker Street in 1817 and it was here that she died on 8 June 1831. Because of its connections with Sarah, in 1876 the house became the first building to receive a nationally recognised memorial plaque for a woman. Read More »
During the Victorian era 50 Berkeley Square was popularly believed to be the most haunted building in London. Now occupied by the famous antiquarian book dealers, Maggs Bros, there is no evidence that haunting like experiences persist but the case of the haunting of 50 Berkeley Square, which has probably developed into a kind of urban legend has become infamous. Read More »
The café Solneve can now be found at 523 Wandsworth Road, Vauxhall, an address that in the 1960’s was associated with a four month canine haunting. The dog in question would be seen coming and running through the building and sometimes out through a locked door. Read More »
The plaque outside 71 Great Pulteney Street reads ‘Admiral Earl Howe K.G. lived here in 1794, 1795 & 1798. B. 1725 d. 1799’ and according to some sources his apparition was seen during the 1970’s in his uniform. Read More »
The following description of the haunting is extracted from an article in the Kent and Sussex Courier entitled ‘The ghastly ghouls rumoured to haunt our sleepy district’ dating from 31 October 2008. ‘The A21 hosts another unquiet spirit. Read More »
The following description of the haunting is extracted from an article in the Kent and Sussex Courier entitled ‘The ghastly ghouls rumoured to haunt our sleepy district’ dating from 31 October 2008. ‘If you're in the mood for a thrill, you could take your life in your hands and drive down the A21. Read More »
According to the BBC News Website ‘The UK's most haunted road is listed as the A23 between London and Brighton, where ghostly figures include a small girl with no hands or feet, a figure in a white trench coat and a figure in cricketer's clothing.’
At Pyecombe apparently a strange figure has been seen scampering across the road.
On 11 December 2002, at least one member of the public reported to the Surrey police that they had seen a car lose control and swerve off the A3 near the emergency slip road to Burpham. When the Police attended the scene they found a car in a ditch, and the remains of the driver, but the accident which had killed him had occurred five months previously. Read More »
Reputedly a farmer who lost his life after hitting a branch during whilst racing between Atherstone on Stour and Alderminster haunts the A3400. Local tradition suggests that if he is seen once, he will appear on another two occasions.
The Dagnall road near Edlesborough may be haunted by a phantom black car. In 1961 Mr Stanley Prescott from Dunstable and his wife were driving along the A4146 when, as they approached the B489 junction, Mr Prescott was forced to take his car off the road and through a hedge by an oncoming vehicle. Read More »
A phantom monk in a black habit is said to have been witnessed by a car driver near the parish church of St Mary the Virgin as he drove through Edlesborough on the A4146 in the 1970’s. The monk vanished when the driver stopped and shone a torch at it.
According to 'The Folklore Of Warwickshire' (1976) by Roy Palmer, 'Drivers on the Coventry-Rugby road have been terrified at the approach of a lorry on the wrong side of the road. At the last spit-second, when a head-on collision seems inevitable, the lorry proves to be a phantom, and vanishes.'
I am unsure where exactly on the A428 the phantom lorry has been seen.
According to an article entitled ‘It's rush hour for ghosts on our roads!’ which was published in Luton Today on 5 November 2007. ‘Unexplained sightings are said to include the lost spirits of two cricketers, who wander along the A5 between Markyate and Dunstable, towards the Packhorse pub. Read More »
The following article by Phil Clay entitled ‘The Buckstones Ghost’ appeared in the Saddleworth White Rose Society (in the county of York) Newsletter (2000) and details his experience with an apparition whilst serving as a Police Officer in Saddleworth whilst it was part of West Yorkshire. Read More »
Hauntings on the A75 Kinmount Straight in South West Scotland have led to it being called 'the Ghost Road.' Here is a brief list of some of the more famous sightings along this route.
A lorry driver ran into a couple crossing the road arm-in-arm in front of his lorry, but when he stopped the accident victims had vanished: sometime in 1957. Read More »
According to a local tradition, the stretch of road (A857) from Galson to the Port of Ness at the tip of Lewis, is said to be haunted. The tale runs that a carrier from Ness was returning from Stornoway many years ago, and had to pass a large stone slab near the village of Galson, which marked the grave of a pedlar who had been murdered at the spot. Read More »
Deer Abbey dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary was a Cistercian House founded in 1219 by the Earl of Buchan, William Comyn which replaced an earlier Celtic monastery in the vicinity was dedicated to Read More »
Abbotsford House was the home of the famous Scottish poet and novelist, Sir Walter Scott (born 1771 – died 1832) and it could be the place that he haunts. The house was created by Scott who bought a 100 ace farm (Cartleyhole) in 1811 and started to build onto it. He finished Abbotsford in 1824. Read More »