You are hereApparitions
A holding of William de Percy, one of the early supporters of William the Conquer, who was given vast tracts of land in Yorkshire for his brave service. Read More »
The SS Great Britain ranks amongst the most famous ships every built. Over 160 years old she now rests in same the dry dock that was specially created for her construction in Bristol harbour. The dock itself is now airtight and environmentally controlled to preserve the mighty vessel and prevent her wrought iron hull from being eaten by corrosion. Read More »
St Albans has a multitude of ghosts and strange stories, many of which are attached to the magnificent abbey. St Albans has been occupied from very early in its history, the Roman town of Verulamium once stood in the valley, in the area where the public park now lies. Read More »
Kilrimont changed its name to St Andrews when relics of the saint were brought here by Bishop Acca of Hexam in 732AD, although there is a folklore tradition that suggests the relics found there way to Read More »
St Andrews in Cobham dates back to the 12th century, though it has been through extensive renovation during its 800 year history. The church is supposed to be haunted by a strange apparition, that of a blue donkey.
St Anne's Castle appeared in the Domesday Book (1086) and is one of the oldest pubs in the United Kingdom, if not the oldest. It is reputed to have a haunted room and poltergeist activity has been experienced in the past. Read More »
Founded in 1123 by Rahere, a jester/minstrel in the court of King Henry I (1068 – 1 December 1135), making this one of the oldest churches in London. Originally established as an Augustinian Priory Church, its nave was demolished in 1539 when King Henry VIII ordered the Dissolution of the Monastery’s. Read More »
Saddleworth church - dedicated to St Chad - has a legend associated with its location. It is said that the original site for the church was on nearby Brown Hill, but every night the stones were mysteriously moved to their present position. Eventually the builders gave up moving the stones back to Brown Hill, and built it where the stones were placed each night. Read More »
St James's Church Garlickhythe is an ancient church that was destroyed during the Great Fire of London of September 1666 and rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren (opening on 10 December 1682, though the tower was not finished until 1717). Read More »
John Ingram recounts the following experience with an apparition at St James's Palace, in his 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain (1897)'. Read More »
Dating from 1536, measuring 58 acres, St James’s Park, named after a thirteenth century leper hospital which was dedicated to St James the Less, is the oldest of the Royal Park’s in London and is reputedly haunted by a murdered headless woman in red. Read More »
This Norman church who's foundations date from 1100AD is supposedly haunted by an old woman, wearing a long robe and having grey hair. She moves through the churchyard between the graves and also near the rectory. It has been suggested that she may be more popular on summer evenings. Read More »
Still referred to as a Cathedral, St Machar's has not held a Bishop's seat since the Reformation and is in reality a high kirk. Legend has it that St Machar was informed by God to find a place where a river bends like a bishops crozier and then to establish a church there. Hence in 580 St Machar founded his church in Aberdeen where the River Don flows upon such a route. Read More »
St Magnus the Martyr was the second church to be damaged during the Great Fire of London in 1666 and was subsequently rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren (born 20 October 1632 – died 25 February 1723) at a cost of £9,580. Read More »
A headless ghost dressed in black is supposed to haunt the churchyard.
Reached via a minor road off the A505 at Slip End.
The fortification of Chatham started in 1756 and was further improved between 1805 and 1812 in the face of French aggression and the Napoleonic War. Demolished in the 1960's, St. Mary’s Barracks dated from between 1779 and 1782 and was built to house the prisoners who were used to build fort. This of course included French prisoners. Read More »
The current St Mary’s dates from 1787 and is a Grade I listed building designed by Thomas Hardwick. The earlier church stood 70’ south of the present building and was demolished when the newer church was completed in 1790. The later church does have some monuments inside it that were originally from the older one and according to tradition it may have a few apparitions as well. Read More »
Though the current Gothic style church dates from 1609, the parish had a church dating from 1150, served by Jedburgh Abbey's monks and it is thought that there was a church on the site as early as the 6th century. Back in the 16th century this area on the border of Scotland between the Solway Firth and Langholm was known as the debatable lands and populated by the Border Reiver families. Read More »
Inside the Parish Church of St Nicholas in Alcester (parts of which date back to the 14th century) can be found the tomb of Sir Fulke Greville (Died 10 November 1559) and his wife Elizabeth Willoughby, 3rd Baroness Willoughby de Broke, de jure 11th Baroness Latimer (Born 1512 - Buried 15 November 1562) and it was beside this tomb, according to the Paranormal Database, that the apparition of the af Read More »
St Vincents dates back probably to the Norman occupation with a church in Burton being recorded in the Domes Day Book of 1086 and the earliest recorded rector being Richard de Basingham in 1186. Read More »
The Cumberland News, 30/06/1999 had an article by Ruth Berry and Gill Hands about the Stainton Ghost. According to the story, a church or abbey once stood near the village and human bones were found among the ruins. During the reformation the land upon which this holy building stood fell into the hands of a certain baron, now nameless. Read More »
The Starving Rascal is named after an event in Victorian times which has had lasting repercussions. A beggar turned up at the pub during a particularly harsh winter to ask for some food and drink. He was cruelly turned away by the landlord. Before he died of exposure and malnutrition outside on the steps the beggar placed a curse on the pub. Read More »