You are hereApparitions
According to tradition Slough Hill Lane and the area between between Balsham and West Wrattling was haunted by a black dog with the face of a monkey. It was described in James Wentworth Day’s 'Here are Ghosts & Witches' (1954) as 'a cross between a big rough-coated dog and a monkey with big shining eyes. Read More »
Sir Henry Vane (Baptised 26 March 1613 – Died 14 June 1662) was an English politician and one time Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in North America. A Puritan, he had gone to New England in 1635. Returning from America in 1637, he became the Treasurer of the Royal Navy (1639) and was eventually knighted by King Charles I in 1640. Read More »
Skipsea Castle dates from around 1086 and was one of the early Norman period Motte and Bailey Castles. The remains of the castle which was destroyed in 1221 when William de Froz II rebelled against King Henry III (born 1 October 1207 – died 16 November 1272) are traditionally thought to be haunted by a white lady, the wife of Drogo de la Bouerer, who founded the castle. Read More »
The sale of meat at Smithfield can be traced back over 800 years and in the 17th century an apparition of a horned figure reputedly terrorized the area leaping over the butchers stalls. When some of the butchers hit the figure with their cleavers and knives the blades apparently they passed straight through him without leaving a wound.
The hall - one of the oldest in Lancashire - has a footprint in its flagstones said to have been created when a protestant martyr was interrogated at the hall. The footprint is said to become bloody on the anniversary of his martyrdom. Read More »
The Somerset House pub has a long history of ghostly goings on. This is possibly associated with bodies being stored in the cellar in the 1940s whilst coffins were being made on the premises. Read More »
A phantom army was witnessed on Souther Fell by a farm hand on Mid-Summers-Eve in the year 1735. The army took the form of mounted troops with infantry marching in a column. One year later on the same date the army was seen again by William Lancaster who was a local farmer. Read More »
Lanreath is well known for the tale of a spectral coach which was said to haunt the area. The following account that appeared in 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' by John Ingram (1897), describes the encounter between the exorcist, Richard Dodge, and the phantom coach. Read More »
A holding of William de Percy, one of the early supporters of William the Conquer, who was given vast tracts of land in Yorkshire for his brave service. Read More »
The SS Great Britain ranks amongst the most famous ships every built. Over 160 years old she now rests in same the dry dock that was specially created for her construction in Bristol harbour. The dock itself is now airtight and environmentally controlled to preserve the mighty vessel and prevent her wrought iron hull from being eaten by corrosion. Read More »
St Albans has a multitude of ghosts and strange stories, many of which are attached to the magnificent abbey. St Albans has been occupied from very early in its history, the Roman town of Verulamium once stood in the valley, in the area where the public park now lies. Read More »
Kilrimont changed its name to St Andrews when relics of the saint were brought here by Bishop Acca of Hexam in 732AD, although there is a folklore tradition that suggests the relics found there way to Read More »
St Andrews in Cobham dates back to the 12th century, though it has been through extensive renovation during its 800 year history. The church is supposed to be haunted by a strange apparition, that of a blue donkey.
St Anne's Castle appeared in the Domesday Book (1086) and is one of the oldest pubs in the United Kingdom, if not the oldest. It is reputed to have a haunted room and poltergeist activity has been experienced in the past. Read More »
In ‘Unexplained Phenomena: A Rough Guide Special’ (2000) by John Michell, Bob Rickard and Robert J M Rickard, refer to a Black Dog that is thought to have haunted the road between St Audries and Perry Farm. They quoted their source as the Somerset Volume of County Folklore. The Dog is thought to have been witnessed by two people in 1960 shortly before their deaths.
Founded in 1123 by Rahere, a jester/minstrel in the court of King Henry I (1068 – 1 December 1135), making this one of the oldest churches in London. Originally established as an Augustinian Priory Church, its nave was demolished in 1539 when King Henry VIII ordered the Dissolution of the Monastery’s. Read More »
Saddleworth church - dedicated to St Chad - has a legend associated with its location. It is said that the original site for the church was on nearby Brown Hill, but every night the stones were mysteriously moved to their present position. Eventually the builders gave up moving the stones back to Brown Hill, and built it where the stones were placed each night. Read More »
The Parish Church of St Giles dates from the 13th and 15th century. In Haunted Churches (1939), Elliott O'Donnell (27 February 1872 - 8 May 1965) refers to the churchyard and surrounding area being haunted. Read More »
St James's Church Garlickhythe is an ancient church that was destroyed during the Great Fire of London of September 1666 and rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren (opening on 10 December 1682, though the tower was not finished until 1717). Read More »
John Ingram recounts the following experience with an apparition at St James's Palace, in his 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain (1897)'. Read More »
Dating from 1536, measuring 58 acres, St James’s Park, named after a thirteenth century leper hospital which was dedicated to St James the Less, is the oldest of the Royal Park’s in London and is reputedly haunted by a murdered headless woman in red. Read More »
This Norman church who's foundations date from 1100AD is supposedly haunted by an old woman, wearing a long robe and having grey hair. She moves through the churchyard between the graves and also near the rectory. It has been suggested that she may be more popular on summer evenings. Read More »
Still referred to as a Cathedral, St Machar's has not held a Bishop's seat since the Reformation and is in reality a high kirk. Legend has it that St Machar was informed by God to find a place where a river bends like a bishops crozier and then to establish a church there. Hence in 580 St Machar founded his church in Aberdeen where the River Don flows upon such a route. Read More »