You are hereApparitions
The Kings Head Hotel is no longer open for business and the building has been changed into a residential mews (Kings Mews). However, this hotel which dated from at least 1832 (when Pigot's Directory of Sussex showed James Webber as the landlord) had a reputation of being haunted by a ghost known locally as Geranium Jane. Read More »
The following story was published in ‘Notes on the Folk-lore of the Northern Counties of England and the Borders by William Henderson’ (1879). ‘About half-a mile to the east of Maxton, a small rivulet runs across the turnpike-road, at a spot called Bow-brig-syke. Read More »
This may be called The Little Book of Ghosts but it's anything but that! Paul Adams has packed it full to the brim with interesting and informative accounts of ghosts and hauntings.
Read More »
On 26 December 1908 an apparition was witnessed outside the vicarage in East Rudham. The apparition, witnessed by several people was identified as Rev. Dr. Hugh Astley, the Vicar of East Rudham. Astley had recently been in a railway accident, bt was not dead, so this was a strange experience involving the apparition of a living person, known all three witnesses. Read More »
The Llandoger Trow is a fantastic looking building which dates from 1664 and can be found on King Street, across from the Theatre Royal in Bristol. The pub has a long tradition of serving those connected with the arts and the men who worked the sea. It also has a reputation of being haunted. Read More »
The Lookout Inn stands opposite the partially reconstructed Arbeia Roman Fort which dates from around 120AD and served as a maritime supply base for the garrisons on Hadrian’s Wall. We probably should not be surprised to hear of a Roman ghost haunting The Lookout Inn. Read More »
The 300 year old Lord Eldon public house is thought to be haunted by the ghost of Annie Sarah Pollitt, daughter of James Pollitt the landlord of the Lord Eldon in the late 19th century. She was also, in 1864 crowned the first May Queen of Knutsford’s famous Royal May Day fair. Read More »
The Malt Shovel is situated in one of the most haunted areas of Dudley. One of the ghosts here is called the Blue Boy and is only seen in the upstairs windows of the pub usually as an indistinct, misty form.
Another of the apparitions is a small person who walks in accompanied by a black dog. When staff go to look where they have gone they are nowhere to be seen. Read More »
This pub sits in the grounds of the now ruined Manor Castle (or Manor Lodge) in Sheffield and is haunted by the apparition of a figure. When encountered by Jack Wright, the new Landlord he moved his family straight back out after three weeks of being continuously haunted, if not by seeing the figure then by feeling a presence. Read More »
The Miners Arms has played host to a few strange experiences. A figure has been seen a few times in the pub who simply disappears when he is spotted. He has been known to approach the bar as if to order a drink and then simply vanish. Read More »
The Noahs Ark was once run by an ex professional boxer, Tom Cartwright, who stood no nonsense from anyone.
Tom was rudely awoken one night by a figure he took to be an intruder. Naturally he brought his boxing skills to bear and attempted to floor the man standing by his bed. As his fists passed straight through the young man, he vanished into thin air. Read More »
Covent Garden (or Convent Garden) was a 40 acre area owned by the Abbey of Westminster that was used as a market garden in the Middle Ages. It was managed through the issuing of leases by the Abbot of Westminster until the Dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VII between 1536 and 1541, when it was taken by the state and eventually passed into the private ownership of the Earl of Bedford. Read More »
The Old Cat is certainly old and was originally converted from a row of cottages which would have been around at the time of the English Civil War. Cavalier figures from the war have been seen in other parts of Wordsley and it is indeed a Royalist soldier in full attire who has startled staff mainly around the cellar area. Read More »
The Old George which probably dates from the 18th century (and largely rebuilt in the 19th century), is associated with a Grey Lady, which is locally identified as the ghost of Lady Elizabeth Grey of Wrest Park. The story goes that Elizabeth fell in love with a coachman, much to her father’s disapproval. In order to protect her lover from her father she hid him at The George. Read More »
The Old Hop Pole has a little snug which for some reason seems to be the focus of paranormal activity. A little boy and girl in Victorian clothes have been seen here and icy chills can be experienced even when the rest of the pub is warm. Read More »
The Old Queen’s Head Public House (44 Essex Road) is a well known live music venue attracting world class bands and DJ’s, but this building that dates back to the early 19th century has a unique history and a reputation of being haunted. Read More »
Since the 1950s, the 14th century Grade II listed, Old Rectory on Hook Green Road has been divided into two residences, Friary Court and the Old Friary. The rectory, which had a reputation for being haunted in the 19th century, was probably built by Thomas de Alkham (Died 1356), rector of Southfleet from 1323 and the chancellor of Rochester Diocese from 1327. Read More »
The Grade II listed Old Rectory on Malden Road in Cheam, dates from the early 16th Century and according to their website it is said to be haunted by around seven ‘shy’ ghosts. Read More »
The Old Stags Head has a haunting associated with nearby St Bart's Church. The story goes that one of the vicars knew the location of a tunnel leading to the pub cellar and would use it to enjoy regular pints of beer. His less than amused wife would follow him into the cellar and turn off the beer taps. Read More »
Named after Owain Glyndwr the great Welsh hero who had strong connections with Corwen, this is probably one of the oldest hotel buildings in Wales dating back to 1329. The building was originally a monastery attached to the church behind and later a coaching inn. Read More »
Originally a merchants house built in 1741, The Palace had become a registered Inn by 1841, possibly due to the Beerhouse Act of 1830 which enticed private residences to be become public houses. Read More »
The Plough Inn (now The Plough@Eathorpe) is an 18th century coaching house situated on the Fosse Way, the Roman road that linked Exeter with Lincoln. There are stories associated with the pub being haunted. The outline of a figure is said to have been reported walking across the bar area and one member of staff is thought to have been poked in the shoulder whilst mopping the floor.
In the 1960′s a young couple tragically drowned after becoming trapped by the high tide and rocks at the end of the promenade at the foot of Constitution Hill in Aberystwyth. The following account is from Phil Bishop and his wife who saw what might have been the ghosts of this couple whilst they were holidaying in Aberystwyth during 1971. Read More »