You are hereApparitions
Wirt Sykes in his British Goblins (1881) tells us of what may have been the ghost of an animal or as those in the North of England may refer to as a hairy ghost. However, this one, according to Sykes may have been something more sinister. Read More »
This area was haunted by a bright glowing ghost female ghost. This type of ghost has acquired a name due what it wears and is known as a Silky. She would appear in silken attire and according to An Encyclopaedia of Occultism by Lewis Spence, would be "rattling in her silks". The spirit would terrify travelers foolish enough to venture into the night. Read More »
Once the property of the Bishop of Malta and known as l'Isola del Vescovo, Manoel Island took its present name name from António Manoel de Vilhena (Born 28 May 1663 – Died 10 December 1736), the 66th Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta, who commissioned a fort to be built here in 1726 and according to some, may Read More »
An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website refers to the ghost of a knight that is thought to be the "Black Prince" which has been seen towards Bexley, near to the old Rochester Way.
A phantom hitchhiker reputedly haunts the Blackwall Tunnel which runs under the River Thames between Greenwich and Tower Hamlets in London. The usual account of a motorcyclist picking up the hitchhiker in 1972 seems to have changed slightly over time. In some versions the hitchhiker is male, others female. Read More »
This mountain is one of the locations associated with an army of sleeping knights, this time King Arthur and his men, waiting for the call to arms when he is most needed. In old Cumbrian, Blencathra means 'Devils Peak'
Directions: A footpath leads to the hill from Blencathra Centre. Read More »
The house is said to be haunted by the ghost of a Roundhead, a soldier fighting on the side of Cromwell during the English Civil war. He appears sitting near to the fire in one of the bedrooms. Read More »
There are many reports here of a phantom hitchhiker on the A229 south of Chatham. The reports began in 1968, and usually involved a young girl (possibly a bride to be or a bridesmaid who was killed at the foot of the hill in 1965), flagging down cars and asking for a lift.
Bodelwyddan Castle is a popular tourist attraction and wedding venue set in 260 acres of parkland. It was originally built as a manor house by the Humphreys family of Anglesey in the region of 1460, but it’s most famous relationship is a 200 year history with the Williams family from circa 1690 onwards. Read More »
Now a heritage site, the listed Brisbane Jail, or Boggo Road Gaol, which closed in 1989 had a reputation of being haunted. The ghost is said to be Ernest Austin who was executed on 22 September 1913 for the rape and murder of Ivy Mitchell at Cedar Creek Road, near Samford. Read More »
Now a museum, Bolling Hall, parts of which which date from the 14th century, is one of Bradford’s oldest buildings. It would also appear to have a reputation for being haunted and has a famous legend relating to a white lady in what is known as the Ghost Room. Read More »
The haunting of the Borley Rectory during the 1920s and 1930s, is undoubtedly one of the most famous in Britain, as well as being one of the most controversial. There seems to be a consensus among many people that the rectory was never really haunted at all, all phenomena being put down to fraud, misinterpreted natural phenomena, and the will of Harry Price to create an interesting case. Read More »
A horseman garbed in Bronze Age attire has been seen on Bottlebush Down. He disappears into a long barrow from the site of a cursus on the B3081. Many witnesses including respected Archaeologists have seen the spirit. Bottlebush Down seems to have been important to early man and is littered with his remains.
The tank museum is home to a German Tiger Tank that saw service during World War II. A figure in WWII era German military uniform was once seen looking at the tank through the museum windows. It has been speculated that the figure is the ghost of a one time occupant of the tank. This is maybe the last remaining operational Tiger Tank. Read More »
There are a few cases of phantom aircraft still flying the skies of Britain and we were recently contacted by a witness called Doug about a ghostly Lancaster Bomber seen in the early 1960’s. Read More »
In December 1772 the theologian and scientist Dr Joseph Priestley (born 1733 – died 1804) was appointed by Sir William Fitzmaurice/Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne (and from 1784 1st Marquis of Lansdowne) (born 1737 – died 1805) as his librarian, literary companion and tutor to his two sons. Read More »
The ruin of Bramber Castle is reportedly haunted by ghostly children that have been witnessed there. They are supposed to be the children of William De Braose, 7th Baron Abergavenny, 4th Lord of Bramber, who displeased King John I and as a result had his children captured and starved to death Read More »
It has been suggested that the apparition of Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, (Born 29 September 1758 – Died 21 October 1805) has been seen looking through the window of the building at the location where the upholsterer Mr Peddieson had his shop in the late 18th and early 19th century. Read More »
The origins of Bristol Cathedral date back to 1140, when Robert Fitzharding(e) founded St Augustine’s Abbey on the Deanery Road site and it is a phantom monk that is said to remain and haunt the building. This abbey was designed in the Norman style though very little of this remains today, though the gatehouse and chapterhouse are 12th century. Read More »
Work commenced on the construction of The Theatre Royal, Bristol (home of ‘The Bristol Old Vic’ theatre company) in 1764 and the first performance was held there on 30th May 1766. According to a 2002 Bristol Evening News article; ‘the old Bristol theatre is reportedly haunted by the ghost of actress Sarah Siddons and her repeat performances at the theatre are the stuff Read More »
Opened on 30 July 1900, British Museum Station at Bury Place served the Central Line on London’s underground rail network. The station was closed on 25 September 1933 when platforms for the Central Line opened at the nearby Holborn Station. Read More »
Broadwick Street was originally known as Broad Street and apart from being the site of a major outbreak of Cholera on 31 August 1854, about a hundred years earlier an apparitional experience was reported here. The following account of the experience was published in 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' (1897) by John Ingram. Read More »