You are hereApparitions
The Castle of Mey, formerly known as Barrogill Castle dates from the 16th century and was built by the Earl of Caithness. The castle is haunted by the ubiquitous Green Lady, said to have been the daughter of the 5th Earl. Read More »
Castle Wildenstein (Schloss Wildenstein) dates from the around the 16th century and has acquired a reputation for being haunted. According to John and Anne Spencer in The 'Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits', on 1st March 1953, Baroness von Lobenstein reported seeing an apparition of a young boy in a sailor suit stood in the kitchen. Read More »
The original fort dates to the Flavian period, and was probably erected during the governship of Agricola (AD77 to AD83), when new Roman roads were being constructed in the Pennines as an aid to Roman expansion in the North. The larger fort became a smaller fortlet in the Trajanic era. Read More »
The largest gothic cathedral in northern Europe, York Minster dates from between 1220 and 1472. It is built upon the site of York's Roman Basilica and subsequently the location chosen for an early Christian Church (627AD – 640AD). Read More »
Cawood Castle was a palace of the Archbishop of York probably built upon an early Saxon fortification dating from the reign of King Athelstan (Æthelstan) 925AD - 939AD. During the English Civil War (1642–1651) Cawood was fought over several times and served as a prisoner of war camp. Read More »
ASSAP (The Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena) in partnership with Mysterious Britain & Ireland is opening up its long running Project Albion to enable members of the public to directly contribute towards it. Read More »
Protecting the names of witnesses and the identity of a haunted location is a good and ethical practice for investigators to adhere to, however, sometimes it does make identifying historic cases difficult. The following account is taken from 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' by John Ingram (1897). Read More »
There is a tradition that during the Victorian times a Night Watchman came across the ghosts of two beautiful ladies in the ancient burial ground of Greyfriars. The two ladies had haunted the site oblivious of each other for centuries, but, once they noticed each other and saw that they were of equal beauty, they got angry and started to fight. Read More »
Although there has been a church situated on this site since around 800AD, the current building was started in 1094 by Ranulf Flambard.
Strange noises have been heard within the church that do not seem to have a physical source. There are also reports of phantom monks.
There is a siting legend associated with The Church of St John the Evangelist, whch was consecrated on 31 July 1839. The orignal site that was chosen is said to have been to the West, on Church Hill near Friar's Gate. As with other siting legends the stones would be moved each night and positioned in the current spot. Read More »
The Coventry Telegraph published the following story entitled ‘Riddle of the Astley ghostly monk’ on 21 April 2008. 'TURN right at the first crossroads you come to as you follow the B4102 southwest out of Nuneaton towards Meriden and you will find the small hamlet of Astley. Read More »
The Grade II listed listed of Church of St Mor and St Deiniol in Llanfor is no longer a place of worship and has been recently been advertised for sale. Built in 1875 on the site of a much older building, possibly the oldest church in Merioneth. It is possible that this older church was reputed to have been haunted. Read More »
The Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul in Ellesborough is a Grade II listed building dating from around the late 14 century. It was suggested by Gerald Line in 'The Church on the Hill' that a figure seen in the church wearing 17th century clothing was Rev Robert Wallis, rector here between 1635 – 1637 and 1665 – 1667. Read More »
Clarence House was built in 1825 and is the official residence of His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales (Born 14 November 1948) and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (Born 17 July 1947). It was commissioned by King William IV (Born 21 August 1765 – 20 June 1837) whilst he was the Duke of Clarence and designed by John Nash. Read More »
The spirit of Sir Edmund Verney, standard bearer to Charles I, is said to appear at the house in times of national crisis.
Sir Edmund was killed at the battle of Edgehill, and is reputed to have sworn that no man would take the standard that he bore without cutting his hand from his body. Read More »
Cleopatra's Needle is made of red granite and stands 68ft. It is one of three ‘Needles', the other two being in Paris and New York. Although named after Cleopatra they actually date from 1450BC and the reign of Thutmose III. The inscriptions date from roughly 1250BC and were probably added on the order of Ramesses II as they mention his great victories. Read More »
Clifton Hall is a Georgian style Grade I listed building and ancestral home of the Clifton family. The building recently attracted a reputation in the national media of being haunted after Anwar Rashid, the millionaire owner of Clifton Hall and his family fled the premises, apparently driven out by its ghosts. Read More »
The following account of a strange experience is taken from 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' by John Ingram (1897), though it was originally printed in 'Signs Before Death: And Authenticated Apparitions' by Horace Welby (1825). Read More »
Spanning the Avon Gorge between Leigh Woods in Somerset and Clifton in Bristol (a distance of 214 meters), the Grade I listed Clifton Suspension Bridge has been an iconic landmark for nearly 150 years and although it was originally designed for horse drawn vehicles, today it carries 4 million cars each year. Read More »
Many ancient families are associated with omens and signs that traditionally tell of death or illness in the family line. These omens range from radiant boys, banshees, phantom drummers and various animals. The Kirkpatrick family who inhabited Closeburn Castle have their own specially symbol of misfortune: that of a swan with a bloody breast, relating to an old family story. Read More »
Combe Sydenham is associated with a legendary story concerning Sir Francis Drake, and another historical figure, George Sydenham, who has also become the subject of folklore. Read More »