You are hereApparitions
The 14th century manor house at Creslow which has links to the Royal household is one of Buckinghamshire’s oldest continually inhabited buildings and during the Victorian era it gained a reputation of having a room haunted by a phantom, skirt rustling woman. Read More »
Cuckfield Park is a private Elizabethan house that was the seat of the Bowyer and then the Sergison family. It was the inspiration behind William Harrison Ainsworth’s (born 1805- died 1882) famous romance novel Rookwood and was said to be reputedly haunted by the ghost of Wicked Dame Sergison. Read More »
The moor - site of the last battle on British soil -has its share of ghostly traditions, perhaps befitting for the scene of so much bloodshed and slaughter. The Battle of Culloden - April 16th 1746 - marked the fall of the Jacobite rebellion of 1745, which sought to restore the Stuart monarchy to the throne. Read More »
Culzean Castle stands on the site of a 15th century Kennedy stronghold. The castle was completely redesigned by Robert Adam between 1777 and 1792, under the 10th Earl of Cassillis. Read More »
The Manor House (Mallet Court) was in the hands of the Mallet family for over 900 years until it was sold in the 1980's. Amongst its many visitors, the manor house can boast William the Conqueror, King John and Henry the II. The site was originally the site of a Saxon stronghold, and before that there may have been a Roman settlement there. Read More »
The home of Sir Alexander Hay Seton, 10th Baronet Seton (born 14 August 1904 – died 1963) became the focus of the world media after poltergeist like activity possibly linked to a bone taken from an Egyptian skeleton led to speculation that the Baronet’s family were cursed by a mummy. Read More »
Designed in 1735 by John Wood, the Elder, (Born 1704 – Died 23 May 1754), Gay Street links The Circus with Queen Square. On 22 August 2001, the Daily Sport reported that the apparition of a well-dressed 17th Century Regency dandy, had been sighted by several American tourists on Gay Street in Bath. They went on to suggest that the ghost only appears to men.
An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website mentions the ghost of a horseman dating from the English Civil War that rides slowly from the East of Heath Lane towards Wilmington.
An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website refers to the apparition of a Saxon or Norman knight that rides the Leyton Cross part of the heath, appearing to come in from the Birchwood Road area.
The cove is said to be haunted by a figure in dark clothing. It is difficult to ascertain whether this is connected in any way to the name of the place, but there was a sighting of the figure in the 1970s.
Directions: The cove can be reached off the B3301, on the Cornwall coastal path.
69 Dean Street is a Grade II listed, 18th century four storey Georgian Townhouse. It is currently called the Dean Street Townhouse, a new nine bedroom hotel and restaurant, which opened on 24 November 2009. Prior to being opened as a hotel, 69 Dean Street was home to the Gargoyle Club which had a reputation of being haunted by one of King Charles II famous mistresses, Nell Gwyn (Gwynne). Read More »
On 23 January 2003, the Milton Keynes Citizen published the following strange experience of a local taxi driver which was entitled 'There's a ghost in my minicab!'
A CITY cab driver has spoken of a spooky journey after he picked up a ghost passenger. Read More »
Named after the local Devil's Stone, this Inn is supposed to be haunted by a young girl aged around seven years. In 1982 a student staying at the pub saw her in his bedroom with accompanied by a grey bearded man. A young boy staying visiting the Inn also came across her in the upstairs toilet. Read More »
The ruins of Din Lligwy on the outskirts of Moelfre are the remains of an ancient fortified homestead which was abandoned about 1,600 years ago. Covering an area of about half an acre, enclosed by ash and sycamore trees, the site consists of the foundations of several buildings of varying shapes and sizes, all enclosed by a double wall, which was filled with rubble. Read More »
The empty ruined remains of the Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill, Baguio City, Philippines have the reputation of being haunted by headless apparitions amongst other things. The building dates back to the early 20th century and was constructed by the Dominican Order as a seminary, covering 17 hectares. Read More »
The apparition of a young woman is thought to haunt Dolesden Lane in Turville. According to the Luton Paranormal website ‘One witness was pushing his bicycle along the road when he saw someone approaching. It was a bright, moonlit night and he could clearly see that she was wearing old-fashioned clothes. Read More »
The Dolphin is an old coaching inn dating back to 1735. In the summer of 1806 the poet Lord Byron stayed at the Dolphin Hotel and supposedly nearly drowned as he was swimming in the nearby River Arun. The Dolphin would appear to be haunted by several different ladies and some ghostly children which have been seen and heard. Read More »
The Dolphin Inn in Penzance has a long and interesting history, reputedly including amongst its visitors Sir Walter Raleigh and Judge Jeffries .
Judge Jeffries the notorious "Hanging Judge" is said to have held court in the dinning room, after the Duke of Monmouth's rebellion. Read More »
On 13 June 1993 in the skies above John Wayne Airport in Orange County a small red distinctive racing aircraft identified as belonging to astronaut Donald Slayton triggered automatic noise monitoring systems which led him being sent a noise violation warning letter. Read More »
There is an old story concerning the ghost of Dorothy Durant who was said to haunt a field at Botathen (Botathan, Botaden)in the 17th century. The following account appeared in The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain (1897) by John Ingram who in turn took it from the History of Cornwall by Hitchins and Drew (1824). Read More »
In 1996, Abdul Alhazrad a man who lived in the Arab town of Jenin was travelling along the road to Dotan when he picked up a hitchhiker who got into the front passenger seat. Shortly after resuming the journey, the driver turned to look as his passenger and was shocked to see that his face had taken on the appearance of a dog with one eye. He wore dark clothing and had floppy dangling ears. Read More »
Only the cellars remain of the original 14th century castle in which Mary Queen of Scots stayed in 1563. The mansion, which now stands on the site, was built in the 1700s for William Douglas, the first Duke of Queensberry. Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed at the castle in 1745, after his unsuccessful invasion of England. Read More »
The Premonstratensian Dryburgh Abbey was founded in 1150 by Hugh de Morville, Lord of Lauderdale. Now a ruin it rests within the grounds of the baronial Dryburgh Abbey Hose Hotel. The hotel itself is said to have been built on the location of an earlier house from which the haunting may have originated. Read More »
Confronted by a ghost: The other night (a correspondent of the Daily News writes) A young man had an extraordinary experience near Lockerbie. The Dryfe Bridge beside which is the old cemetery---has long been notorious as a haunt of ghosts. Having to cross the bridge going from the town the young man happened to glance to the right and saw a tall and white ghostly figure. Read More »