You are hereHaunted Pubs

Haunted Pubs


The Black Horse, West Boldon

In an article promoting the excellent ‘Ghost Taverns of the North East’ by Mike Hallowell and Darren Ritson, that appeared in the Read More »

The Boar’s Head

Boars Head Hotel

The Boar’s Head pub on Queen’s Road in Aberystwyth, is a derelict building at the time of writing, but is probably going to be converted into flats in the future, now the squatters have been evicted. Read More »

The Boot & Slipper Public House, Amersham

The 15th century Boot & Slipper Public House, part of the Chef & Brewer chain has a reputation of being haunted by a ghost that is usually felt rather than seen. Read More »

The Bowl Inn, Almondsbury

Though the inn dates from 1550 and it is thought that part of the building was originally three cottages constructed in 1146 to house monks working on the Church of St Mary next door. Secret tunnels between the cottages, church and priory are said to exist which offered the monks protection from potential invaders. Read More »

The Brigands Inn

Brigand Inn

The 15th century Brigands Inn is reputedly haunted by an unidentified female apparition who has apparently been witnessed several times. This family run renovated coaching inn dating from 1488, acquired its name from the buildings association with the Mawddy Bandits or Red Bandits or the 'red haired thieves of Mawddwy' who were active in this region during the 16th century. Read More »

The Bull Hotel, Abergele

The Bull Hotel on Chapel Street Abergele has an interesting history, and is also alleged to be haunted. In 1848, Jane Roberts owned the building and allowed the Mormon preacher John Parry Junior to preach from the house. Read More »

The Bull's Head, Earlswood

Recently (April 2013) re-opened the The Bull’s Head on Limekiln Lane in Earlswood has been a public house since 1832, though the building dates back to 1740 when it was used by navies working on the Stratford Upon Avon canal. Their website states that it is rumored to be haunted by a ghost of a lime kiln worker.

The Bull, Shooters Hill

The Bull at 151 Shooter Hill dates from 1749 (though it was rebuilt in 1881) and it was a popular stopping place for coaches traveling along the route between London and Dover (Shooters Hill Road follows the route of the Roman Watling Street). Read More »

The Cardigan Arms, Leeds

On 13th October 2006 strange experiences was reported by three separate women at the Cardigan Arms, 364 Kirkstall Road, Leeds. One of the women briefly saw the reflection of a middle-aged/elderly woman with long, straight grey hair in the mirror of the ladies toilet. No one was there when she turned around. One of the girls waited for a cubicle to be vacated. Read More »

The Castle Hotel, Conwy

The Castle Hotel on High Street is an old coaching inn that was originally made up of two hostelries, the King's Head and The Castle, which was the larger of the two. They were combined to create The Castle Hotel in the 1880's. Read More »

The Cauliflower, Ilford

The Cauliflower at 553 High Road, Ilford, is a popular live music venue and whilst Deryck Jones was the landlord it had a reputation of being haunted, with the case being written about in The Publican’ and ‘The Haunted Pub Guide’ (Guy Lyon Playfair 1985). The date the Cauliflower was built is unknown, but in 1897 plans were made to make the pub into a hotel. Read More »

The Chequers, Amersham

During the sixteenth several martyrs were burned in Amersham on charges of heresy and the strong conviction of their beliefs. The Chequers at 51 London Road, which dates from the 15th century had a possible involvement with these sad deaths and it is speculated that the long reputed haunting of the inn may be related to them. Read More »

The Chequers, Bickley

Patrick Grafton-Green’s article entitled ‘Ghost called Barnard terrorising staff of Bickley pub’ was published on the This Is Local London news website on 17th September 2013. Read More »

The Christopher Inn and Captain William Dyke

An apparition is thought to have been experienced in the Christopher Inn, Windsor. The Inn dated from the 16th century and could be found next to the college on Baldwin's Bridge. This inn was closed on the order of the Head of Eton College in the mid 19th century due to its poor reputation. Read More »

The Cock and Bottle, York

According to a local paper, George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham who used to live on Skeldergate, York, haunts The Cock and Bottle. The haunting has included the sound of door being broken, the apparition of an ugly man, and other sightings. The ghost is said to be evil and to hates crucifixes.

The Connaught Tavern

Now known as The Fox@Connaught (since 2003), this pub dates from 1881 and is a Grade II listed building. Read More »

The Court Oak, Harborne

The Court Oak built in 1932 has a reputation of being haunted. The following Mirror article entitled 'Wine snob ghost 'haunting Birmingham pub smashes house wine bottles' dates from 30 October 2011. Read More »

The Coylet Inn, Loch Eck

Standing on the bank of the seven mile long Loch Eck (and previously known as the Lock Eck Inn), The Coylet Inn is an old coaching house dating from 1650 that originally catered for travelers going between Glasgow and Dunoon. The Inn is reputedly haunted by the apparition of a ‘Blue Boy’. Read More »

The Crown and Horseshoes, Enfield

The Crown and Horseshoes public house is an 18th century Grade II listed building and can be found on Horse Shoe Lane, by the canal. The Crown and Horseshoes has in the past had a reputation for being haunted. “Other than the footsteps and the mysterious banging of doors, nothing much happens these days”, Joan Forman told the author and investigator Andrew Green in 1976. Read More »

The Crown Inn, Amersham

The reputedly haunted Grade II listed Crown was originally an old coaching inn dating back to the 16th century or 17th century* and now forms part of the Dhillon Group's family of modern coaching inns. Read More »

The Crystal Palace, Bath

Crystal Palace

The Crystal Palace on Abbey Green in Bath is so called in commemoration of The Grand Exhibition which took place in Hyde Park, London between 1 May 1851 and 15 October 1851. Prior to this name change, the Inn was known as The Three Tuns. Read More »

The Duck, Aylesbury (Demolished)

The Duck public house closed in 2009 and was demolished the following year, so we will probably learn nothing anything new from this reputedly haunted building. Luckily the following article entitled 'Ghostly goings-on puzzle pub couple ' was published in the Bucks Herald on 18 February 2004. Read More »

The Duckworth Hall, Oswaldtwistle

John Fahey gave the following account of the haunting at The Duckworth Hall in his 30 October 2003 article entitled 'Spooky tales of a haunted Hyndburn' which was was published in the Accrington Observer. Read More »

The Dun Cow, Shrewsbury

This Inn was built by Roger de Montgomery in around 1085, making it one of the oldest in Britain. Reputedly haunted by a monk. Read More »

The Eclipse Inn, Winchester

The Eclipse Inn dates from 1540 and over the past centuries the building has had many uses including a rectory, private residence, ale house (around 1750) and from the nineteenth century an Inn. Read More »



Share/Save

Navigation

Recent comments

Featured Site