Middlesbrough Central Library
The Central Library (or Carnegie Library) was Middlesbrough’s first purpose built public library and it was opened on 8 May 1912 by Alderman Amos Hinton (Born in Tring 1844 – Died 1919). There are now rumors that this building is haunted and one of the rooms is referred to as The Ghost Room.
The BBC website hosts the following article from 2008 entitled ‘Is Middlesbrough Library Haunted?’ ‘Middlesbrough’s Central Library may have a new visitor, but this one is more of the ghostly variety. A few weeks ago, children went on a ghost hunt around the building, but it wasn’t until later that they saw what they’d photographed.
The main focus of the night was to encourage youngsters to use the library, but staff took the event very seriously and made sure that the right atmosphere was created for spectral goings-on.
The children took several photos over the course of the night, but it wasn’t until later that they saw what appears to be a ghostly figure in one of their shots.
Librarians in Middlesbrough admit they have no idea what browses the shelves in the library overnight.’