Three small hills near Churt have been known as the Devils Jumps (or the Devils Three Jumps) since at least 1765. The highest of the three hills is known as Stony Jump. There are a few folk tales attached to these hills which explains their name.In one story the Devil stole a cauldron from the witch known as Mother Ludham who lived in a small cave known as Mother Ludham’s Cave. As the Devil fled with Mother Ludham in pursuit he created the hills by kicking one up with each of his mighty leaps. He dropped the cauldron on Kettlebury Hill and Mother Ludham took it to Frensham Parish Church for safety. The cauldron is still there. The Devil then jumped into the Devil’s Punchbowl.
A boulder at the Devils Jumps is explained by a story in which the Norse God Thor gets annoyed with the Devil jumping from hill to another and so throws a boulder at him which was then left there.
There is a tradition that fairies would lend tools to people who whispered at their request at a boulder on Stony Jump. Edwin Sidney Hartland in ‘English Fairy and Other Folk Tales’ (1890) has a similar story attached to Borough-hill, a mile from Frensham.