You are hereEngland / Kent Gazetteer
Established in 1207, Bayham, a Premonstratensian abbey was created from two floundering monastic sites at Otham and Brockley. It was built from local sandstone and being right on the border between Kent and Sussex, Bayham had a gate in each county. Read More »
This 300 feet high round hill, historically surrounded by ancient woodland once had a beacon upon its summit which was part of the beacon chain used to warn of the approaching Spanish Armada during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Read More »
Every Easter Monday the village of Biddenden, not far from Staplehurst in Kent, is the scene of old custom, called the Biddenden Maids' Charity. Tea, cheese and bread are given to local widows and pensioners at the Old Workhouse, while the celebrated Biddenden Cakes, baked from flour and water, are distributed among the spectators. Read More »
An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website refers to the ghost of a knight that is thought to be the "Black Prince" which has been seen towards Bexley, near to the old Rochester Way.
There are many reports here of a phantom hitchhiker on the A229 south of Chatham. The reports began in 1968, and usually involved a young girl (possibly a bride to be or a bridesmaid who was killed at the foot of the hill in 1965), flagging down cars and asking for a lift.
According to ‘Some Notes on the Road from London to Canterbury in the Middle Ages’ (1898) Edited by Henry Littlehales ‘The ancient house at the corner of the lane on the left a few yards before we reach the church*, is thus mentioned in Mr, Dunkin's history : —
Read More »
The Grade I listed Church of St Mary the Virgin in Newington possibly dates from as early as 1163 and was built by Richard de Lucy. There is a Devil legend attached to the church relating to a stone that once stood on the corner of Church Lane but was moved to the church entrance in 1936. Read More »
In 1211AD Gervase of Tilbury recorded a strange event in the borough of Clorea in Ireland. During a Sunday Mass at the church of St Kinarus in the borough of Cloera, an anchor was seen to descend from the sky and hook on to the church door. Read More »
The Dartford Crossing which consists of two tunnels and a bridge takes the A282 over the River Thames as part of London’s M25 orbital ring road linking Dartford with Thurrock. The first tunnel opened in 1963, the second in 1980 and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge in 1991. Read More »
An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website mentions the ghost of a horseman dating from the English Civil War that rides slowly from the East of Heath Lane towards Wilmington.
An article about Dartford Heath on the Perception 9 website refers to the apparition of a Saxon or Norman knight that rides the Leyton Cross part of the heath, appearing to come in from the Birchwood Road area.
Dartford Heath appears to be one of the many locations reputedly haunted by Dick Turpin and Black Bess. According to the Perception 9 website they ride across the heath, following a route across Shepherd's Lane towards Bexley.
The following firsthand account of a haunt like experience dates from before the construction of the A2 and appeared on the Perception 9 website’s article about the many ghosts of Dartford Heath. Read More »
The George public house at 49 High Street is now closed and the building is now a private residence. This old 17th century inn is Grade II listed and had a reputation of being haunted by the ghost of a monk that was blamed for smashing glasses.
The Goodwin Sands is a treacherous sand bank in the Channel a few miles off Deal, which has been the site of litterally hundreds of shipwrecks in centuries past, one of the last notable victims being the Ross Revenge, last of the pirate radio ships, in 1991. Read More »
Hall Place, Bexley Village, is a Grade I listed building and records show that a manor has existed within its grounds since 1241. It is supposedly haunted by three ghosts. Read More »
The following account of an apparition experienced by the physician and politician Dr William Jacob (Born 1623 – Died 1692) was taken from 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' by John Ingram (1897). Read More »
On 14 March 2009 a funeral service and burial was held at Hoo St Werburgh parish church for the remains of a suspected witch, buried seven centuries ago and discovered in an archaeological dig in 2007. On 3rd March 2009, The Daily Mail printed the following article entitled ‘Teenage 'witch' decapitated 700 years ago to be given Christian funeral service.' Read More »
The inhabitants of Strood in Kent were once nicknamed Kentish Longtails. Though this could relate to the belief in medieval mainland Europe that the English had tails, there is a folk tale relating a curse placed on the people of Strood by Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury. Read More »
Dating from between dated to between 4300 and 3000 BC, Kit's Coty House (or Kit's Coty) is all that remains of a Neolithic chambered long barrow on Blue Bell Hill.
Leeds Castle is named after Led who is supposed to have been the Chief Minister of King Ethelbert IV of Kent. Originally a Saxon manor house called Esledes, built in AD857, it consisted of a wooden palisade and earthwork enclosure. It was granted to the Godwin family by King Edward the Confessor but did not become a stone castle until Robert Crevecoeur started upgrading it in 1119. Read More »
The following description of a haunting appears in the Perception 9 article on Dartford Heath. ‘The 'Mad Ghost' appears to be of 20th century origin and is very much associated with the asylum that once occupied the area around Bracton Lane. Read More »
For 19 November 1691 there is a marriage record for a John Goffe of St Margaret’s, Rochester, widower, and Susanna Everest. This may be the same John Goffe who’s wife Mary, died on 4 June 1691 and just prior to this appeared as a crisis appartion to her children. Read More »
Milton Chantry dates from around 1321AD and is thought to be the oldest building in Gravesend. Built on the site of a leper hospital founded in 1189AD, the Chantry, which was once a chantry chapel has been remodelled and has had several uses over the centuries, including a tavern (around 1697), a barracks (18th century) and in World War II a gas decontamination chamber. Read More »
The remains of the 18th century New Tavern Fort are found in the gardens of Major General Charles George Gordon’s* (Born 28 Januaty 1833 0 Died 26 January 1885) Gravesend residence, Fort House. Read More »
Many years ago a nunnery in Newington was the scene of a murder. The abbess was the victim and her staff were to blame. ‘About the end of the eleventh century, it is said, there were certain nuns at the manor of Newington, whose prioress was strangled in bed at night by her cook, and in consequence the King took the manor into his own hands and removed them to Sheppey. Read More »
There is a story attached to Nunfield Farm that it is built on the site of an old nunnery/monastery and that a nun was bricked up alive there. This is mentioned as follows in 'Some Notes on the Road from London to Canterbury in the Middle Ages' (1898) Edited by Henry Littlehales. Read More »
Often mooted as the most haunted village in England, this picturesque Kentish village is certainly steeped in ghost stories, whether based on actual sightings or just modern folklore. Its reputation as a ghost village is not without its problems and the village can be a magnet to thrill seekers and also those with a genuine interest in the paranormal, especially around Halloween. Read More »
Ramhurst Manor House is a Grade II listed private residence on Powder Mill Lane dating from the 16th century or earlier. In the middle of the 19th century some strange experiences in the house resulted in it gaining a reputation for being haunted by members of the Children family who had resided there during the 18th century. Read More »
Reculver is a popular summer holiday resort on the north coat of Kent. It has two key sites of archaeological interest, the remains of a Roman fort and a ruined medieval church. Read More »
Spectral Roman armies where seen marching into the sea during the World War II Watches. The area around Richborough was a Roman port during the occupation and the Roman Fort was very important strategically. Though the fort originally overlooked a port, it is now two miles from the sea.
On 16th October 1963 two young couples were out courting near Saltwood (which has been the scene of numerous strange events) in Kent, when they witnesses a bright star shaped object hovering near some trees. Their attention was considerably aroused by the appearance of a black, headless entity with wings like a bat and webbed feet. The figure came towards them and the couples fled. Read More »
The castle is reputedly haunted by a revenue collector that was killed and then had his body thrown into the moat. He supposedly haunts Scotney seeking revenge on Arthur Darrell, once owner of the castle and the poor mans murderer. Read More »
On 12th October 1912 at Sheerness, Kent, a dark object, that was making strange buzzing noises, was seen passing overhead. This was one of the sightings during the phantom airship wave during the early part of the 1900's.
The fortification of Chatham started in 1756 and was further improved between 1805 and 1812 in the face of French aggression and the Napoleonic War. Demolished in the 1960's, St. Mary’s Barracks dated from between 1779 and 1782 and was built to house the prisoners who were used to build fort. This of course included French prisoners. Read More »
Since the 1950s, the 14th century Grade II listed, Old Rectory on Hook Green Road has been divided into two residences, Friary Court and the Old Friary. The rectory, which had a reputation for being haunted in the 19th century, was probably built by Thomas de Alkham (Died 1356), rector of Southfleet from 1323 and the chancellor of Rochester Diocese from 1327. Read More »
The following tale entitled ‘The Princess of Canterbury’ was published in ‘English Fairy and Other Folk Tales’ (1890) by Edwin Sidney Hartland. ‘IN days of yore, when this country was governed by many kings, among the rest the King of Canterbury had an only daughter, wise, fair, and beautiful. Read More »