You are hereEngland / Suffolk Gazetteer
On 24 June 1750, Anne Blakemore of Walberswick died. Her body was found on the Walks a mile west of Blythburgh and negro drummer named Tobias (Toby) Gill from the 4th Dragoons (Lieutenant General Sir Robert Rich's Regiment of Dragoons) was accused of her murder. The Dragoons had been based in that area to combat smuggling and Toby had been drunk near where Anne’s body was discovered. Read More »
History, the ritual landscape and geometry once resonated very much as one. Faint traces of our ancestors whose silent whispers in the landscape once conveyed so much awe and splendour now sadly lie silent, their purpose and meaning largely forgotten, for in general there is a present day lack of any real sense of connectedness. Read More »
The haunting of the Borley Rectory during the 1920s and 1930s, is undoubtedly one of the most famous in Britain, as well as being one of the most controversial. There seems to be a consensus among many people that the rectory was never really haunted at all, all phenomena being put down to fraud, misinterpreted natural phenomena, and the will of Harry Price to create an interesting case. Read More »
The collection of ghost stories known as 'The Ingoldsby Legends' were written by Rev Richard Harris Barham (Born 6 December 1788 – Died17 June 1845) under the psuedonymn of Thomas Ingoldsby of Tappington Manor. His son wrote about his life which included the following experience concerning the Grade II listed Brundon Hall taken from Rev Barham's diary. Read More »
Hamilton Stud Lane in Newmarket is reputed to be haunted by the champion Victorian jockey Fred Archer who is seen sat astride a grey horse. Frederick James Archer was born in Cheltenham on 11 January 1857, son of Grand National winning jockey William Archer. Read More »
This story was told by medieval writers (Ralph of Coggestall and William of Newbridge), about the discovery of fairy children in the South of England in the twelfth century.There are two versions of the story, one placed in Suffolk and one in Norfolk, with only a small distance separating them. Read More »
The manorial residence in Oulton is known locally as Oulton High House and it has some ghost stories associated with it. Dating from the 16th century, it has been suggested that the house was used for storage by smugglers in the 1700’s when it stood empty for a few years. It has been suggested that the stories were created by the smugglers to scare people away from the building. Read More »
On 13th August 1956 the Radar Station at RAF Bentwaters, (RAF and USAF) tracked a UFO flying at 5,000 mph towards the air base at around 10.55pm. A Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star was diverted to check out the object. About an hour later that night another UFO was tracked, this time there was a ground sighting from a control tower, which was witnessed as a bright light travelling very fast. Read More »
The Rendlesham Forest "UFO Crash" is perhaps the best known "UFO case" in Britain. It has all the ingredients of an intriguing mystery story: determined investigators facing incredible difficulties, military officers "covering the truth", shady characters making their appearance and the promise of a final revelation that would shake the Pillars of Heaven. Read More »
Holy Trinity Church in Blythburgh is a Grade I listed building dating from the 14th century, which is thought to be built on the site of a much early church built in 630AD. It was said to have been visited by Black Shuck in 1577. Read More »
Dating from the 16th century, the White Hart was originally the courthouse. In 1967 it is said there were claims of ghostly footsteps, the sound of loud banging on a particular door and lights that would switch off on their own. These reports were attributed to a ghostly monk. There are no reports of the pub being haunted these days.
Toby’s Walk is so named after Tobias Gill, a negro drummer from the 4th Dragoons who was executed for the murder of Anne Blakemore on 14 September 1750. Anne’s body was found in this vicinity and stories have developed that the walk is haunted by Black Toby.
According to Folklore [A Quarterly Review Of Myth, Tradition, Institution & Custom] Vol III (1892), ‘Mr. Maude also tells me that a lane in Burgh is called White-foot Lane because a ghost with white feet walks up it’