You are hereRecent Additions
Dating from the 16th century, the White Hart was originally the courthouse. In 1967 it is said there were claims of ghostly footsteps, the sound of loud banging on a particular door and lights that would switch off on their own. These reports were attributed to a ghostly monk. There are no reports of the pub being haunted these days.
Holy Trinity Church in Blythburgh is a Grade I listed building dating from the 14th century, which is thought to be built on the site of a much early church built in 630AD. It was said to have been visited by Black Shuck in 1577. Read More »
Toby’s Walk is so named after Tobias Gill, a negro drummer from the 4th Dragoons who was executed for the murder of Anne Blakemore on 14 September 1750. Anne’s body was found in this vicinity and stories have developed that the walk is haunted by Black Toby.
On 24 June 1750, Anne Blakemore of Walberswick died. Her body was found on the Walks a mile west of Blythburgh and negro drummer named Tobias (Toby) Gill from the 4th Dragoons (Lieutenant General Sir Robert Rich's Regiment of Dragoons) was accused of her murder. The Dragoons had been based in that area to combat smuggling and Toby had been drunk near where Anne’s body was discovered. Read More »
A ghostly white hare is said to run from the direction of Talland to The Jolly Sailor Inn in Looe. Thought to be an ill omen if seen, the white hare is thought to be the ghost of a girl who committed suicide.
Situated in Turville, a village well known for the filming of ’Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ ‘Midsomer Murders’ and ‘The Vicar of Dibley’, the Bull and Butcher dates from 1550 and is a grade II listed building. In 1942 another film was shot here in Turville called ‘Went the Day Well‘, when the village was portrayed as being under German occupation. Read More »
Now Bill’s Salisbury restaurant, the pub at 36 Blue Boar Row prior to 2013 was The Chough. The following description of the haunting at The Chough dates from 24 October 2009 and was published in The Ocelot, an independent entertainment magazine for the Wiltshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire area. Read More »
The Old Cat is certainly old and was originally converted from a row of cottages which would have been around at the time of the English Civil War. Cavalier figures from the war have been seen in other parts of Wordsley and it is indeed a Royalist soldier in full attire who has startled staff mainly around the cellar area. Read More »
The Greyhound and Punchbowl is an ancient pub which has the unusual feature of a tree trunk in the middle of the pub. A number of figures have been sighted here. A tall man in a black cloak and large black hat has been seen around the kitchen area. When staff go to investigate further of course there is no one there. Read More »
A previous landlord, known as Bob, allegedly haunts The Crown. He died in the cellar from a heart attack many years ago. Dogs are prone to behaving strangely when Bob is about and on one occasion a previous landlord found himself locked in his own bedroom even though he was on his own. Read More »
The Old Stags Head has a haunting associated with nearby St Bart's Church. The story goes that one of the vicars knew the location of a tunnel leading to the pub cellar and would use it to enjoy regular pints of beer. His less than amused wife would follow him into the cellar and turn off the beer taps. Read More »
The Old Mill is named after one of two windmills which existed in Gornal. The remains of one, Ruiton Windmill, can still be seen in nearby Vale Street. In common with many other Black Country pubs The Old Mill has a history of poltergeist type activity. Things get moved around when there is nobody in the pub and unexplained bumps and bangs are often heard. Read More »
The Horns of Boningale boasts a number of ghostly presences within its walls. At one time Shropshire sheep drovers would stay in a bunkhouse at the inn which has now become the dining room. The story goes that a fight between two of the drovers resulted in the death of one of them. Since then, the apparition of a man dressed in a smock has been seen at times in the dining room. Read More »
The Crabmill used to be known as The Oldswinford and at one time many years ago it was a Doctor's surgery. Temporary managers are particularly wary here as they are likely to be treated to loud noises coming from the empty rooms in the early hours of the morning. Read More »
The Courthouse is situated in one of the most haunted areas of Dudley. Much of the activity here is auditory with noises coming from the cellar when there has been no one down there. The names of staff are often called coming from the room upstairs again when there is nobody up there. Read More »
The Black Country Arms was formerly The Green Dragon and is recorded as far back as 1627 when it was part of the municipal buildings. It became part of the Magistrate's Court in 1910 but is now returned to its former use as a pub. Read More »
The Ashwood is a fairly modern pub at the centre of a residential estate. Whilst nothing has actually been seen at the pub, nevertheless the building is prone to some unusual phenomena. Occasionally, singing described as operatic has been heard even though there was no obvious cause. Read More »
The Starving Rascal is named after an event in Victorian times which has had lasting repercussions. A beggar turned up at the pub during a particularly harsh winter to ask for some food and drink. He was cruelly turned away by the landlord. Before he died of exposure and malnutrition outside on the steps the beggar placed a curse on the pub. Read More »
The present day Spring Cottage dates back to the turn of the 20th century and was built on the site of a former pub. The former pub on the site was reputedly used as a temporary gaol for prisoners in Victorian times. They would be incarcerated in the cellar where there was no chance of escape. Read More »
The Somerset House pub has a long history of ghostly goings on. This is possibly associated with bodies being stored in the cellar in the 1940s whilst coffins were being made on the premises. Read More »
The Shrewsbury Arms is haunted by a seemingly benign chap nicknamed Old Joe. He is a figure in a cloth cap who has been seen in the cellar and walking around the bar after the pub is closed. He has been seen by a number of people over the years but there is no clue as to why he is associated with the pub. Read More »
The Old Priory is haunted by a lady who walks the pub mainly at night. She has been heard by staff staying at the pub walking up and down the corridor outside their bedroom doors. Who she is or why she haunts the pub is unknown. Read More »
The Old Hop Pole has a little snug which for some reason seems to be the focus of paranormal activity. A little boy and girl in Victorian clothes have been seen here and icy chills can be experienced even when the rest of the pub is warm. Read More »
The Noahs Ark was once run by an ex professional boxer, Tom Cartwright, who stood no nonsense from anyone.
Tom was rudely awoken one night by a figure he took to be an intruder. Naturally he brought his boxing skills to bear and attempted to floor the man standing by his bed. As his fists passed straight through the young man, he vanished into thin air. Read More »
Despite the name the New Talbot is nearly a hundred years old and underwent refurbishment in 2012. After the pub manager lost his phone whilst cleaning up after hours he decided to check security camera footage to see where it had gone. Part of the footage shows the phone flying off a chair and landing on the floor. Read More »