You are hereRecent Additions
According to the BBC Domesday Project, a ‘ghost lurks at Stert crossroads where once a carriage overturned killing all who rode in it. Subsequently, suicides, fatalities etc have regularly occurred.’
According to the BBC Domesday Project, Sewell’s Lane has a reputation of being haunted and ‘People occasionally experience 'a cold, ghostly feeling' on this lonely thoroughfare.’
Uffington Castle is an early Iron Age hill fort covering about 32,000 square metres. It was once protected by timber walls on top of the surviving banks and ditches, and faced with sarcen stones. It is likely that the tribe who created the White Horse once lived within this hill fort. Read More »
Liddington Castle is an early Iron Age hill fort covering roughly 7.5 acres and 909 ft above sea level. Though there is no archaeological evidence to support the fact, it has been argued that Liddington Castle could be the probable site for the Battle of Badon (aka Siege of Mount Badon), first mentioned by Gildas in the 6th Century. Read More »
The Devil’s Punchbowl is a large hollow, which according to legend , the Devil disappeared within after ploughing Grim’s Ditch (or Devil’s Ditch) across the Berkshire Downs.
Segsbury Camp is a huge Iron Age hill fort, covering twenty seven acres, with a single perimeter bank and ditch. Dr Phené discovered a cist burial in the southern rampart during an excavation in 1871. Other finds include Roman coins, Iron Age pottery, a shield boss, human bones and flint scrapers. Read More »
Seven Barrows, is a Bronze Age cemetery. There are about 38 barrows (some sources say 32) in the area of at least four different styles, but it is seven barrows found clustered together from which the name originates. It is thought that the long barrow nearby dates from 400BC and is the oldest in the United Kingdom.
There is a legend associated with the Hangman's Stone found at a junction of tracks 1.5Km north of Upper Lambourn. Possibly a boundary stone or perhaps marking a site of an old gibbet, the story relates to a sheep stealer. One day a man with a stolen sheep over his shoulder rested at the stone and fell asleep. The sheep which had is legs tied began to struggle. Read More »
Hardwick Hall is a country house dating from around 1590 and was built for Elizabeth Talbot, Countess of Shrewsbury (Born circa 1527 - Died 13 February 1608) (also known as Bess of Hardwick), who was thought to be the richest woman in Elizabethan England after Queen Elizabeth I (Born 7 September 1533 – Died 24 March 1603) herself. Read More »
Based upon a plan made by E. W. Cox in 1892, Rivington Castle is a folly and reconstruction of William II de Ferrers, 4th Earl of Derby’s, 13th century Liverpool Castle. Rivington Castle dates from 1912, when the building work began. It was built by William Hesketh Lever, 1st Viscount Leverhulme (Born 19 September 1851 – Died 7 May 1925) and can be found in Lever Park. Read More »
The Grade II listed Grand Theatre in Lancaster is one of the oldest in Britain, being opened by Charles Edward Whitlock and Joseph in 1782. Though the theatre was rebuilt in 1908, it is thought to have a ghost that lingers from the early 18th century. Read More »
Robin Hood's Bed (or Chair or Robin Hood’s Quoit) can be found on Blackstone Edge, a gritstone escarpment between Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire. It is a large millstone grit boulder in which according to local tradition Robin Hood slept in one night whilst guarded by his men. Read More »
Buckley Hall Prison now stands on the site of the original mansion house named Buckley Hall from which it no doubt gets its name. Buckley Hall which dated from at least the early 17th century was eventually modified and opened as an orphanage in 1887 after the previous owner died. The building was demolished in 1947 and the prison that replaced it was opened in 1966. Read More »
Rivington Pike is a local landmark and site of an early warning beacon, possibly one of a system dating back to 1139. It was still in use in 1588 when it was lit to warn of the Spanish Armarda. According to tradition, the Rivington Pike area is associated with a demonic spectral horseman. Read More »
The original Bryn Hall which has now collapsed stood on I believe land close to or belonging to Landgate Farm and nothing now remains above ground. Read More »
The original church on this site possibly dated from 1122, though the oldest part of the current St Peters is the 15th century West Tower. Read More »
In 2002 there were reports of a large underwater predator, probably a huge catfish living in the lake and eating the local swans. The following BBC report dates from 27 July 2002.
'A giant fish which has attacked swans at a bird sanctuary has been spotted by wildlife experts. Read More »
Between 1935 and 1966 an open air lido or swimming pool could be found at the bottom of Tenterhill Lane at Tenterhill Mill. There are stories that the Riviera was haunted. The Paranormal Database refers to a male figure that was sometimes seen standing outside the pool. Read More »
The old Grade II listed coaching house which has been known as The Rake Inn, Hayrake and now The Rake Mediterranean Tapas Restaurant, dates from the very late 17th century and has been a public house since at least 1734, when Abraham Whitehead was the landlord. Read More »
John Ellis (Born 4 October 1874 – Died 20 September 1932) served as one of the United Kingdoms executioners for 23 years before retiring in 1924. During his service he attended 203 hangings, the last of which was the execution of John Eastwood at Armly Goal in Leeds. Read More »
The following is taken from an article by W Gregor in Folklore [A Quarterly Review Of Myth, Tradition, Institution & Custom] Vol III (1892). ‘In Roumania each spring is supposed to be presided over by a Spirit called Wodna zena or zona. When a Roumanian woman draws water she spills a few drops to do homage to this Spirit’.—The Land beyond the Forest, vol. ii, p. Read More »
According to an article by W Gregor in Folklore [A Quarterly Review Of Myth, Tradition, Institution & Custom] Vol III (1892). ‘At one time there lived near the Linn of Dee, in Mar Forest, a man named Farquharson-na-cat, i.e., Farquharson of the wand. He got this name from the fact that his trade was that of making baskets, sculls, etc. Read More »