You are hereRecent Additions
According to an article entitled ‘It's rush hour for ghosts on our roads!’ which was published in Luton Today on 5 November 2007. ‘Buttercup Lane, in Dunstable, is the scene of reported sightings of a mysterious figure, almost 10ft tall and floating about 18 inches off the ground. Read More »
According to an article entitled ‘It's rush hour for ghosts on our roads!’ which was published in Luton Today on 5 November 2007. ‘Unexplained sightings are said to include the lost spirits of two cricketers, who wander along the A5 between Markyate and Dunstable, towards the Packhorse pub. Read More »
The Priory Methodist Church on Newnham Avenue opened on 5 June 1969 and replaced both a small church that had been on the site since 1953 (before that there was a tin mission hut dating from 1940) and the 18th century St Paul’s Methodist Church on Harpur Street. At some point it is said an apparition was witnessed here. Read More »
On 8 June 2005 the following story relating to a haunt like experience at Britannia House appeared in the Luton News. It was entitled ‘Have you seen the ghost of Britannia Estates?’.
Rumours that Luton's Britannia House is haunted have caused a stir among those who work there, with one even refusing to work after dark. Read More »
The Old George which probably dates from the 18th century (and largely rebuilt in the 19th century), is associated with a Grey Lady, which is locally identified as the ghost of Lady Elizabeth Grey of Wrest Park. The story goes that Elizabeth fell in love with a coachman, much to her father’s disapproval. In order to protect her lover from her father she hid him at The George. Read More »
The Kings Arms, which has a reputation of being haunted can be found at 24 St Mary’s Street in Bedford. According to the following extract taken from an article by Andrew Watt entitled ‘15 ghost sightings in Bedford’ [Bedfordshire on Sunday (10 March 2015)]. Read More »
The following extract is taken from an article by Andrew Watt entitled ‘15 ghost sightings in Bedford’, which was published in Bedfordshire on Sunday (10 March 2015). ‘On the 30th September 1999, a woman awoke to find her dead grandmother sitting by her bed. Read More »
The following extract is taken from an article by Andrew Watt entitled ‘15 ghost sightings in Bedford’, which was published in Bedfordshire on Sunday (10 March 2015). ‘In 1979 in Allhallows, near to the Midland Bank (now HSBC)*, shoppers were surprised to see a mediæval friar in his hooded gown calmly walking down the street meditating on his rosary. Read More »
The Sister’s house dates from the 1750’s and one of three buildings on St Peter’s Street built by members of the Unitas Fratum (Moravian Church) who came in Bedford as refugees in 1742. The three buildings consisted of their church and then a separate house for the single brothers and single sisters. The Sisters House can be found at 24 St Peter’s Street. Read More »
The following extract is taken from an article by Andrew Watt entitled ‘15 ghost sightings in Bedford’, which was published in ‘Bedfordshire on Sunday’ (10 March 2015). ‘In 1972, a mother living in Chaucer Road who was woken by her baby's screams, spotted a shadowy hand cross the wall of the room and come to rest on the baby's face. Read More »
Officially opening in August 1803, Bedford Hospital was built with £8000 bequeathed in the will of Samuel Whitbread (Died 1796). The hospital has of course grown extensively over the last 200 years and now houses 440 beds and caters for a population of about 270,000. Read More »
Now closed, the Grade II listed Cross Inn dated from 1792 and could be found at 6 High Road in Beeston. Whilst it was a pub there are stories of the beer barrel taps being turned off, whiskey bottles falling from their shelf and the toilet doors locking and hence trapping the occupant.
The Central Library (or Carnegie Library) was Middlesbrough’s first purpose built public library and it was opened on 8 May 1912 by Alderman Amos Hinton (Born in Tring 1844 – Died 1919). There are now rumors that this building is haunted and one of the rooms is referred to as The Ghost Room. Read More »
The Golden Pheasant at 71 High Street is a Grade II listed building dating from the 18th century. There have apparently been reports of the sound of singing coming from the bar when it is empty and footsteps again from an area with nobody present to make them.
According to Sylvanus Urban’s ‘Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle (1816)‘The old inhabitants of the place have a tradition now nearly lost that a large Dragon had its den on Bignor Hill and that marks of its folds were to be seen on the hill a relick of remote antiquity and of Celtic origin.’
St Andrew’s Parish Church is a Grade I listed building dating back to 1370. It was built in a cruciform shape and is referred to as The Cathedral of the Downs. There is a siting legend attached to St Andrews Church dating back to its original construction. Read More »
Dating from the 17th century and formerly being the moated manor house of a large farm estate, the Grade II listed Deans Place has been a hotel since the start of the 20th century. The building has a reputation of being haunted by a female figure in a long blue dress or robe. Read More »
According to the BBC News Website ‘The UK's most haunted road is listed as the A23 between London and Brighton, where ghostly figures include a small girl with no hands or feet, a figure in a white trench coat and a figure in cricketer's clothing.’
At Pyecombe apparently a strange figure has been seen scampering across the road.