You are hereRecent Additions
The New Stobhill Hospital opened in 2009 replacing the pre existing Stobhill Hospital. This older hospital dated back to 15 September 1904, when it was officially opened as a Poor Law Hospital. Read More »
The current University College Hospital on Euston Road opened in 2005 at a cost of £422 million. However, the haunting this article refers to must have occurred in an older building, which I assume may be the cruciform building which opened in 1906 and is just behind the new hospital. This building is now part of University College London. Read More »
The Glasgow Royal Infirmary is a large teaching hospital who’s site covers 20 acres. Read More »
Opening on 5 December 1929, Scunthorpe General Hospital was originally named The Scunthorpe and District War Memorial Hospital. Read More »
The City Hospital originally opened in 1889 as an extension to the Western Road workhouse and has been known by several names including Birmingham Union Infirmary, Dudley Road Infirmary and Dudley Road Hospital. Read More »
According to David Taylor's article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', one night in 1913, at 7.30pm, several people saw an airship carrying a light.
According to David Taylor's excellent article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918' in February 1913, multiple witnesses reported a large, dark cigar shape in the sky.
According to David Taylor's excellent article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', in 1916, reports circulated that a German ‘Zeppelin’ had landed in the area whilst on a bombing raid.
According to David Taylor's excellent article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', in 1913, an airship or aeroplane, at a considerable height, was seen for about five minutes on a clear moonlit night at about 9.45p Read More »
According to David Taylor's article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', in May 1909, Coventry, England, tramway men reported an airship.
According to David Taylor's excellent article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', in May 1909, multiple witnesses saw a cigar shaped airship, without lights, passing overhead on several consecutive nights.
At the turn of the 20th century, visionaries began to dream that the new science of aeronautics would bring universal peace on the Earth by love or fear. Love because as people travelled more they would get to know each other as human beings and no longer as sinister foreigners; fear, because the destructive power of aerial bombardment would render war unthinkable. Read More »
Holidaymakers staying at Kirroughtee Hotel outside Newton Stewart had a close encounter with one of Galloway’s best kept secrets last Saturday morning - an elusive big cat.
Les Gill and his partner Linda were looking out of their bedroom window when they both clearly saw the animal in the hotel grounds. Read More »
Mothers' Hospital of the Salvation Army, opened as the Ivy House Maternity Hospital in 1884 at 280 Mare Street, Hackney. It changed its name to Ivy House Hospital in 1913 when it moved to 153 - 165 Lower Clapton Road, Hackney and eventually took the name Mother's Hospital in 1922. Read More »
St Nidan’s Church in Llanidan is associated with a stone that had strange magical like properties including aiding fertilisation and having the power to move on its own. Wirt Sykes in his British Goblins (1881) mentions that ‘The old British historian Nennius speaks of a stone, one of the wonders of the Isle Read More »
Trichrug or Pen-y-bicws is a hill in the Brecon Beacons standing 415m in height. It is associated with both a stone throwing giant and local fairies. Read More »
The following article by Sue Crawford entitled 'Ghost hunt at Gretna's famous Blacksmiths Shop' was published in the News & Star on 8 August 2013.
Paranormal investigators are to hold a vigil after reports of “terrifying” incidents at Gretna Green’s famous Blacksmiths Shop Read More »
The medieval church of St Meilig was rebuilt in 1853, though the bottom of the tower may be a remnant of the earlier building. Inside the church is a standing stone with a cross carved into it, which possibly dates from the 6th or 7th century. The stone which is thought to have stood at or near the site of a 6th century monastery founded by St Meilig at Croesfeilig. Read More »
The following description of the Alluring Stone appeared in 'British Goblins' (1881) by Wirt Sykes. 'In Carmarthen are still to be found traces of a belief in the Alluring Stone, whose virtue is that it will cure hydrophobia. It is represented as a soft white stone, about the size of a man s head, originally found on a farm called Dysgwylfa, about twelve miles from Carmarthen town. Read More »
A poor family once lived close to Lago de Patzcuaro, farming beans, corn and squash. There was a wife, her husband, her mother and her small son. The boy was especially fond of his grandmother (abuela) and he was the apple of her eye. They would often pick wildflowers together or go down to the lake shore and watch the boats on the water. Read More »
A famous Welsh witch, who used to sleep under stone at Llanberis, in North Wales, was called Canrig Bwt, and her favourite dish at dinner- was children's brains. A certain criminal who had received a death-sentence was given the alternative of attacking this frightful creature, his life to be spared should he succeed in destroying her. Read More »