You are hereRecent Additions
The City Hospital originally opened in 1889 as an extension to the Western Road workhouse and has been known by several names including Birmingham Union Infirmary, Dudley Road Infirmary and Dudley Road Hospital. Read More »
According to David Taylor's article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', one night in 1913, at 7.30pm, several people saw an airship carrying a light.
According to David Taylor's excellent article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918' in February 1913, multiple witnesses reported a large, dark cigar shape in the sky.
According to David Taylor's excellent article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', in 1916, reports circulated that a German ‘Zeppelin’ had landed in the area whilst on a bombing raid.
According to David Taylor's excellent article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', in 1913, an airship or aeroplane, at a considerable height, was seen for about five minutes on a clear moonlit night at about 9.45p Read More »
According to David Taylor's article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', in May 1909, Coventry, England, tramway men reported an airship.
According to David Taylor's excellent article 'Scareships or Motherships : The British phantom airship scare 1909 – 1918', in May 1909, multiple witnesses saw a cigar shaped airship, without lights, passing overhead on several consecutive nights.
Holidaymakers staying at Kirroughtee Hotel outside Newton Stewart had a close encounter with one of Galloway’s best kept secrets last Saturday morning - an elusive big cat.
Les Gill and his partner Linda were looking out of their bedroom window when they both clearly saw the animal in the hotel grounds. Read More »
Mothers' Hospital of the Salvation Army, opened as the Ivy House Maternity Hospital in 1884 at 280 Mare Street, Hackney. It changed its name to Ivy House Hospital in 1913 when it moved to 153 - 165 Lower Clapton Road, Hackney and eventually took the name Mother's Hospital in 1922. Read More »
Trichrug or Pen-y-bicws is a hill in the Brecon Beacons standing 415m in height. It is associated with both a stone throwing giant and local fairies. Read More »
The following description of the Alluring Stone appeared in 'British Goblins' (1881) by Wirt Sykes. 'In Carmarthen are still to be found traces of a belief in the Alluring Stone, whose virtue is that it will cure hydrophobia. It is represented as a soft white stone, about the size of a man s head, originally found on a farm called Dysgwylfa, about twelve miles from Carmarthen town. Read More »
A famous Welsh witch, who used to sleep under stone at Llanberis, in North Wales, was called Canrig Bwt, and her favourite dish at dinner- was children's brains. A certain criminal who had received a death-sentence was given the alternative of attacking this frightful creature, his life to be spared should he succeed in destroying her. Read More »
The Grade II listed Church of St David in Llanfaes dates from 1923-25. This church replaced an earlier one built in 1859. It has been suggested that this Victorian St David’s that was constructed by J Clayton, was built beside the remains of an earlier medieval church. The church at Llanfaes has been recorded as early as 1291 in the 'Ecclesia de Lanmays'. Read More »
Llech Lafar, a speaking slab of marble by the River Alun is referred to by Wirt Sykes in his ‘British Goblins’ (1881). 'The Talking Stone Llechlafar, or stone of loquacity, served as a bridge over the river Alyn, bounding the churchyard of St. David s in Pembrokeshire, on the northern side. Read More »
Written by fellow ASSAP (Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena) member, James Clark, Haunted Lambeth features a collection of paranormal tales including poltergeists, apparitions, black dogs and other unexplained phenomena. Read More »
St. Illtyd's Well or the Butter Well as it is also known, can be found in a private garden near the Church of St Rhydian and St Illtyd in Llanrhidian. It acquired the name Butter Well after an event in the 12th century when milk apparently flowed from it for three hours. Read More »
The following description by Wirt Sikes of Newton Nottage's well was published in his 'British Goblins' (1881). 'At Newton Nottage, Glamorganshire, a holy well called Sanford s is so situated that the water is regulated in the well by the ocean tides. Read More »
The construction of Hadrian's Wall began in AD122. It measured 73 miles and ran from Segedunum at Wallsend, across the width of the country to Bowness on Solway in Cumbria. Each mile there was a gateway through the wall which could be found at a milecastle, which was effectively a small fortlet and equally spaced between each milescastle were two turrets. Read More »
On 13 April 2004 the following story was published in the Lincolnshire Echo detailing a family's strange experience at Lincoln Castle's Observatory Tower.
A Family got the fright of their lives when they stumbled on what they believe was a malevolent ghost in Lincoln Castle. Read More »
Landsdown Hill, Tog Hill and Freezing Hill were the site of the English Civil War Battle of Lansdowne (Lansdown), which was fought on 5 July 1643. The Parliamentarian force under Sir William Waller (Born C 1597 – Died 19 September 1668) was forced to retreat by the Royalist troops led by Lord Ralph Hopton, 1st Baron Hopton (Born March 1596 – Died September 1652). Read More »
The Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee was originally opened in 1893 by Guido and Charles Pfister, and according to the following Stacey Pressman article entitled 'The haunting of MLB's A-List', a number of American baseball players seem to have had some strange experiences there. Read More »