You are hereRecent Additions
Only the cellars remain of the original 14th century castle in which Mary Queen of Scots stayed in 1563. The mansion, which now stands on the site, was built in the 1700s for William Douglas, the first Duke of Queensberry. Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed at the castle in 1745, after his unsuccessful invasion of England. Read More »
Many strange things are alleged to have happened here in modern times, with doors opening and closing, floorboards creaking and lights going on and off in empty rooms. Read More »
Every last Friday in July is the Common Riding in Langholm. The festival dates back to the 1700s when rights to common lands were awarded to the burgh of Langholm - although it takes place on the date of an earlier fair. These lands were marked out by ditches cairns and beacons, which originally fell to the responsibility of one man. Read More »
The cross is thought to date back to the late seventh century, an early period in the development of Christianity in the area, which spread here from Northumberland. It has been recognised as one of the most important early Christian crosses in Britain. Read More »
The tower house, now a hotel, is an altered 17th century tower-house built by Sir William Grierson. The tower-house reputed to be haunted by the spectre of a whistle-blowing monkey, the spirit of Sir Robert Grierson's pet, which was killed by servants after his death. Read More »
The ghost of James Mounsey, builder of the house and former physician to the Russian Royal family, haunts Rammerscales Mansion . Mounsey gained fame and wealth as doctor to Czar Peter, but when Czar Peter III was murdered Mounsey fled Russia and returned to Scotland. He became convinced that secret agents were trying to kill him and faked his own funeral. Read More »
Many ancient families are associated with omens and signs that traditionally tell of death or illness in the family line. These omens range from radiant boys, banshees, phantom drummers and various animals. The Kirkpatrick family who inhabited Closeburn Castle have their own specially symbol of misfortune: that of a swan with a bloody breast, relating to an old family story. Read More »
The twelve apostles, although the largest stone circle in Scotland and the fifth in Britain, tends to be overlooked because it is not visually that impressive. The circle consists of eleven squat boulders of a probable twelve, constructed in a flattened circle, some 88M in diameter at its widest. Read More »
The tower dates from the 15th century, became ruinous in the 19th century, and was later restored in the 1960's to its present state. The tower was the occupied by the Jardine family until they moved to a nearby mansion. Read More »
Sanquhar castle is now a gaunt ruin visible from the West Coast main line from Scotland to England. The castle was constructed in the 13th century and belonged to the Crichton family from the 14th century, eventually being abandoned to the elements in the late 17th century. Read More »
According to local lore the ghost of Abraham Crichton, who died in 1745, haunts the Sanquhar churchyard despite an exorcism by a minister. Read More »
The water was believed to have healing properties and is dedicated to a 9th century saint. Proof of a long tradition of leaving items at the well was discovered when the well was cleared in 1870: hundreds of coins, bent pins and other objects were discovered beneath the mud. Some of these can still be seen in the Dumfries Museum.
Robert the Bruce arranged to meet then stabbed Red Comyn to death 10 February 1306 in the Franciscan friary in Dumfries. Local lore says Bruce haunts the site where the building used to stand.
Established in 1610, The Globe is traditionally haunted by a barmaid called Ann, who had an affair with Robert Burns. Burns made her pregnant and she bore him a child that she named Elizabeth. While Robert Burns was well known for his womanising ways it is not know if there is any truth in the story. Read More »
On 31st December 1978 an object was seen hovering in the sky above Dumfries by numerous witnesses, the incident was explained as a meteorite, but many eyewitnesses were adamant it was not.
In November 1995 Brian Curran took video footage of an orange stationary object with a dimpled surface. Later analysis showed that there were two small portions missing from the object that seemed to fill back in. The encounter ended when the object shot off at great speed.
The story of the Fairy boy of Leith is relatively unknown today, and doesn't appear to have been recently recounted since its last appearance in the 1970s Reader's Digest compendium, Folklore, Myths a Read More »
Bob Taylor's encounter with the mysterious spheres in Dechmont wood near Livingston in Scotland, is probably one of the most written about cases of a close encounter in Britain. The case stands as one of the most intriging in British Ufology. Read More »
Rosslyn Chapel is touted as being one of the most mysterious places in Scotland, especially with the current gloat of books purporting to show how hidden secrets lurk within every crack of stone at this venerated place. Anybody who has ever visited the chapel may feel that it deserves its current status, and I must confess the atmosphere even on a busy day is something to be experienced. Read More »
1989 Bonnybridge, near Shieldhill, Scotland: In a well-witnessed UFO sighting, a fire crew were attending a blaze at Gradrum Moss, when a red object appeared to be hovering in the distance. This came towards the fire engine and then flew off towards the West. A second object then appeared, it was white and hovered above Loch Ellrig at about twenty feet from the witnesses. Read More »
In October 1996 Barry Macdonald filmed a UFO in Falkirk, which consisted of an orange oval changing to a white disc shape, before changing back to orange, then white, and then disappearing suddenly.
Sandwood Bay is one of the most northerly sandy beaches in Scotland, and would be well worth a visit without the added interest of the strange phenomena that has happened here. Read More »
This ruined castle on the shore of Loch Assynt, was originally built by the MacLeods. Read More »
The castle is interesting because of its associated haunting, and it also houses a museum within its grounds containing many enigmatic picture stones. These stones, found all over Eastern Scotland are Pictish in origin, and nobody has successfully explained the strange symbols and pictures which decorate their surface.
History Read More »