You are hereRecent Additions
The cellar of the Devonshire Arms at 139 Wellsway is thought to have been haunted by a 19th century girl who died on the nearby railway line. Amongst the experiences said to have been reported include a member of staff having their shirt pulled by unseen hands and bolted doors opening. Read More »
Grosvenor Place, Bath is made up of 42 terraced houses dating from around 1790 and built by John Eveleigh. Read More »
The apparition of a jilted bride named Julia is thought to haunt Queen’s Square dressed in a white gown, possibly he wedding dress.
Designed by Richard Morrison in 1810, Ballyheigue Castle was a grand mansion and home of the Crosbie family. Now mostly a shell, surrounded by a golf course which opened in 1996. It ha been burned down twice, once by accident in 1840 and again on 27th May 1921 as part of the troubles and the destruction of buildings linked to British Imperialism. Read More »
The Grade II listed George Inn on Mill Lane in Bathampton dates from the mid late 17th century and is thought to be haunted by Viscount John Baptiste Du Barry who was killed on Bathampton Down on18 November 1778 during the last legal duel in Britain. His mortally wounded body is said to have been brought into The George Inn where he finally died. Read More »
The following article entitled ‘Noises in the night-and the suspect is a spirit’ was published in the Glasgow Herald on 17 January 1975.
Banging noises, terrified families……it’s all being blamed on a mischievous ghost. JOHN McKINLAY reports on the chaos in a Glasgow housing scheme which started with a weird tapping noise. Read More »
Referred to locally as ‘The Sally’, The Salamander can be found at 3 John Street, Bath, a Grade II listed building dating back to 1736. Haunt like experiences have been reported here during this century at least, including unexplained footsteps and unaccounted for singing and talking being heard. Read More »
A skilled giant blacksmith lived upon Burn Hill according to local legend and he would appear whenever his name was called in order to perform acts of blacksmithing which was considered beyond the capability of mortal man.
There is a black dog tradition thought to be attached to Gold Hill in Batcombe, described as having a chain around its neck. The associated story suggests that the dog’s owner in life buried it in woodland nearby.
A two feet high pillow mound earthwork shaped as a cross in Banwell has a Devil legend attached to it. According to the story, the villagers of Banwell attempted to erect a large cross on Banwell Hill, but each night the Devil would come along and blow it down. In order to prevent this the villagers decided to create the cross on the ground making it difficult for the Devil to destroy. Read More »
The 175 room, 4 star Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel, is thought to be haunted by Lucette, a pretty, young, French governess for the Petre family who lived at Dunkenhalgh Hall when it was still a home. Read More »
A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5 (1911) explains that 'On the north side of Marland, by the Roch, is a wooded clough known as Tyrone's Bed, a story invented by Roby and William Nuttall (d. 1840) gaining currency that the Earl of Tyrone, outlawed by Elizabeth, took refuge there.' Below is the story of Hugh O'Neill (Hugh The Great O'Neill) (Born c. Read More »
The Grade I listed Bath Assembly Rooms date from 1769 and were designed by John Wood, the Younger (Born 25 February 1728 – Died 18 June 1782). It is said to be haunted by a thin hunched figure wearing a black robe and large black hat. This figure is also thought the Saville Row which is behind the Assembly Rooms. Read More »
Admiral Arthur Phillip, the First Governor of Australia lived at 19 Bennett Street in Bath from 1806 and died here in 1814. The Dictionary of National Biography gives th efollowing account of his life and career. 'PHILLIP, ARTHUR (1738–1814), vice-admiral and first governor of New South Wales, was born in the parish of Allhallows, Bread Street, London, on 11 Oct. 1738. Read More »
20 Henrietta Street is thought to be haunted by the disembodied footsteps of Rear Admiral Mark Robinson (25 April 1722 – 23 November 1799). Read More »
The plaque outside 71 Great Pulteney Street reads ‘Admiral Earl Howe K.G. lived here in 1794, 1795 & 1798. B. 1725 d. 1799’ and according to some sources his apparition was seen during the 1970’s in his uniform. Read More »
The following article entitled 'Ghost is no joke for the Hanlons' was published in the Glasgow Evening Times on 7 August 1961.
“We’ll never go near it again”
A shaken, sleepless man sat resting in his mother’s home to-day while six miles away a whole street argued furiously about the ghost he left behind him. Read More »
The Grade I listed St Margaret's Church in Hornby was founded by Sir Edward Stanley, Lord Mounteagle, in 1514, the tower of which still stands. (An earlier church had been on the site dating from around 1338). Read More »
John Ingram in his 'The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain' (1897) gives the following description of a haunting realated to a murder in Henrietta Street. 'Other tales, more or less circumstantial, have been related to us of houses in Bath, including one in Henrietta Street, Great Pulteney Street. Read More »