You are hereSt Margaret's Well, Edinburgh
St Margaret's Well, Edinburgh
During the 1860 St Margaret's Well was moved to its present location from the crossroads between Holyrood and Restalrig. It was described in 1852 as 'a spring well, enclosed by an ancient vault over which part of the railway workshops had been built.'
The following description of the newer well was detailed in The Antiquary - Volume 26 (1892) 'THIS little hexagonal building is certainly the most beautiful and appropriate covering of any well now left in Scotland. It is to be regretted that the actual spring dedicated to the saint is lost to us by the march of modern events, but fortunately we are in possession of authentic descriptions and drawings of the structure as it stood over the original spring. It stood at the side of the ancient crossroad which led from Holyrood to Restalrig; on the top grew an elder tree, and in front of it stood a little thatched cottage, inhabited a great many years ago by a man who carried the waters of the well to Leith for sale.'