You are hereGwynedd

Gwynedd


Ty Mawr hut group (a.k.a. Cytau'r Gwyddelod, or Irish Huts)

These Iron Age remains of circular buildings can be found on Holy Island, near South Stack on Anglesey. The site consists of ten large circular stone rings (the remains of Iron Age huts) on the hillside with nine smaller rectangular structures (probably workshops for metal working) scattered among them, covering an area of up to twenty acres. Read More »

Tylwyth Teg of Cwm Llan

In this valley below the south eastern side of Yr Wyddfa (Mount Snowdon), it is said that the Tylwyth Teg (Fairy Folk) live. It is said that one day, a shepherd heard a wailing sound, and he moved a rock where the sound was coming from. When he did this he rescued a Tylwyth Teg who has trapped there. Later, he encountered two old men who thanked him, and gave him a staff. Read More »

Tylwyth Teg of Llyn Cwellyn

In 'Celtic Folklore Welsh And Manx' (1901) John Rhys mentioned a story concerning fairies that had been passed to him by two brothers who had in turn heard it from Mari Domos Siôn, who died around 1850. 'A shepherd had once lost his way in the mist on the mountain on the land of Caeau Gwynion, towards Cwellyn Lake, and got into a ring where the Tylwyth Teg* were dancing: it was only af Read More »

Tyn-y-Groes Hotel

Tyn-y-Groes

The Tyn-y-Groes Hotel is an old drovers inn dating the sixteenth century. I found a reference in a Snowdonia walking book stating strange haunting like phenomena was supposed to have been reported shortly after a young girl was run down in a traffic accident on the A470, just outside the building. Read More »

Y Gyrn Lower Cairn (North)

This is the remains of one of a pair of ancient cairns that bestride the mountain path descending Y Gyrn from the west heading towards the Bryn Cader Faner ancient monument.

Y Gyrn Upper Cairn (South)

This is the remains of one of a pair of ancient cairns that bestride the mountain path descending Y Gyrn from the west heading towards the Bryn Cader Faner ancient monument.

Ynys Seiriol (a.k.a. Puffin Island, Ynys Glannauc, Priestholm and Ynys Lannog)

This island lying off Penmon Point (Trwyn Du) of Anglesey (Ynys Môn) was once known as Priestholm by the Vikings and Ynys Lannog by the Welsh. A charter from 1238AD refers to the canons of the Isle of Glannauch, another name for the island. Read More »

Yr Ogaf Ddu (The Black Cave), Near Criccieth

This cave is associated with a legend common in Britain, that of pipers disappearing into the fairy realm.

Four pipers went into this cave to commune with the fairies, but they never returned. Their piping can still be heard when the air is quiet.

Ysbyty Gwynedd

Situated in the Penrhosgarnedd suburb of Bangor, Gwynedd, is the main hospital for North West Wales, Ysbyty Gwynedd. The hospital is allegedly haunted. Read More »

The Ysgethin Inn

Ysgethin Inn

A Snowdonia guide specialising in walks starting from pubs, mentioned that the Ysgethin Inn was haunted.  It did not elaborate further, other to say that the ghost had been heard by the staff, though not actually seen it. The building was originally a pandy (fulling mill) and dates from early 1788. Read More »

‘The Baby of Y Dolydd'

Y Dolydd is a long vacated, derelict cottage with an interesting Tylwyth Teg (Welsh Fairy) legend associated with it. Many years ago the cottage was the residence to a poor young widow, who one day encountered a charismatic Tylwyth Teg who asked her to bring up a child for him. The widow agreed to this, and several days later she found a beautiful baby boy on her doorstep. Read More »



Share/Save

Navigation

Recent comments

Featured Site