You are hereKing Arthur's Well

King Arthur's Well


King Arthur’s Well is so called, because of the myth connected with it, that the waters derive from King Arthur’s kitchen, and the fat from the meat that was cooked there, floats to the surface at the well. In 1853 a physician from Caernarfon named A. Wynn Williams wrote about the well, claiming that it had ‘magical healing powers’, resulting in the well becoming renowned throughout the land. The Victorians built a spa at the site, and by 1858 there were hundreds of people ‘taking the waters’ each day, after being transported to the area via the new railway line at Y Felinheli (Port Dinorwic). King Arthur’s Natural Spring Water Company emerged and started bottling and selling the water, calling it KANSCO. This venture was short lived, and the well and spa are both now in ruins.


Javascript is required to view this map.

Craig-y-Nos Castle


Rooms from £55.00 per night midweek with continental breakfastRooms from £55.00 per night midweek with continental breakfast



Share/Save

Navigation

Recent comments

Featured Site