The Revolution Well, Leeds
Robert Charles Hope gives the following description of The Revolution Well in The Legendary Lore of the Holy Wells (1893). ‘On the near side of the hill in Moortown Lane is a drinking well known as “Revolution Well,” erected in memory of William of Orange; and close by a field containing a small clump of trees, and supposed to contain the remains of men killed in battle of Stainbeck. There is an upright stone post a few yards from the supposed burial-ground bearing a Latin inscription, alluding to the above-named revolution, and put there in memory of it by a Mr. Oates, who dwelt at the house in Stainbeckdale.’
The well was moved slightly around 1926. The inscription date on the well is dated 5 November 1788, which marks the hundredth anniversary of William landing in Devon.