You are hereGreater London
Mary Kelly was brutally murdered on 9 November 1888 and although it has been debated about, she is generally believed to be the final victim of Jack the Ripper who killed five prostitutes around Whitechapel in the later months of that year. Read More »
Mary Pearcey was executed on 23 December 1890 for the murder of Phoebe Hogg and her infant daughter also named Phoebe. Some elements of this murder were similar to the 1888 Whitechapel murders and Mary has been considered as a potential candidate for being Jack the Ripper. It is also claimed that her apparition has been seen, wandering the streets around Whitechapel. Read More »
‘Traditional and haunted pub! Full of character, the Morpeth Arms pub offers great views of the Thames and charming service.’ The Morpeth Arms, run by Youngs Brewery is a grade II listed building dating back to 1845. Read More »
Around the area where the old London Bridge stood there is a tradition that ghostly cries for help can be heard as if people are drowning in the River Thames. This dates back to a dark time in English history and the cries are thought to be those of a group of Jews that were tricked by a ships captain in 1290. Read More »
The Old Red Cow (or Ye Olde Red Cow as it was known) is considered to be one of Smithfield’s oldest pubs, though its current building dates from 1854. It is said that the apparition of a former landlord, sometimes referred to as Dick O’Shea, was seen in the year following his death (1981) sitting watching customers from an upstairs balcony.
Osterley Park House, which is reputedly haunted by a white lady, started as an Elizabethan mansion dating from the 1570’s, built as a country retreat by Sir Thomas Gresham (born 1519 – died 21 November 1579). Read More »
O’Neills is the current name for the pub at 196 Clapham High Street, but previously it has been known as both The Goose and Granite and The Plough Inn. The Plough Inn gained a reputation for being haunted during the 1970’s and as the publicity was deemed by the pubs proprietors as being detrimental to the business they removed their landlord, Mr Felwyn Williams* Read More »
Pitt place was built on a chalk pit by the banker and Member of Parliament Alderman William Belchier between 25 February 1755 (when his former house on Chalk Lane, Epsom, burned down) and August 1759. Read More »
Pond Square in Highgate has the reputation of being haunted by the apparition of a chicken. Not just any fowl though, this chicken is rumoured to be the worlds first frozen chicken which participated in the final fatal experiment of Sir Francis Bacon, Viscount of St. Read More »
In 1674 a publication entitled ‘News from Puddle-Docke in London, or, A Perfect particuler of the strange apparitions and transactions that have happened in the house of Mr. Edward Pitts next door to the still at Puddle-Dock’ was printed. As the title suggests it concerned the reported haunting Edward Pitts home. Read More »
Laid out in 1698, Red Lion Square is on the boundary between Holborn and Bloomsbury and was named after the Red Lion Inn that used to be on the site. Red Lion Square is reputedly haunted by the regicides Oliver Cromwell, John Bradshaw and Henry Ireton. Read More »
Opened on 15 November 1972, the Royal Air Force Museum displays 100 aircraft within it’s five exhibition halls. This collection includes a Hawker Typhoon, one of the two remaining Vickers Wellingtons and probably the most famous of the Avro Lancaster bombers, R5868 'S-Sugar' (S for Sugar), which was the first RAF heavy bomber to complete 100 operational sorties during World War II. Read More »
Sarah Siddons on North Wharf Road opened opened in 1961 as a secondary school for girls from Regent’s Park and Bellfield Schools. Part of North Westminster Community School since 1980, the Paranormal Database website suggests that it was haunted by the ghost of the Welsh actress, Sarah Siddons (Born 5 July 1755 – Died 8 June 1831) wearing a blue dress and a small hat. Read More »
On 18 July 1963 a large cat was seen by a lorry driver traveling up the western side of Shooters Hill. He saw what he thought was an injured animal, possibly a dog and stopped to give it assistance. The animal got up and fled into the woods. It had a curled tail and was golden in colour. It had some prey in its mouth and it appears that the driver disturbed ait whilst it was feeding. Read More »
The sale of meat at Smithfield can be traced back over 800 years and in the 17th century an apparition of a horned figure reputedly terrorized the area leaping over the butchers stalls. When some of the butchers hit the figure with their cleavers and knives the blades apparently they passed straight through him without leaving a wound.
St Andrews in Cobham dates back to the 12th century, though it has been through extensive renovation during its 800 year history. The church is supposed to be haunted by a strange apparition, that of a blue donkey.
Founded in 1123 by Rahere, a jester/minstrel in the court of King Henry I (1068 – 1 December 1135), making this one of the oldest churches in London. Originally established as an Augustinian Priory Church, its nave was demolished in 1539 when King Henry VIII ordered the Dissolution of the Monastery’s. Read More »
In 1982 Chris Brackley took a famous photograph whilst he was in St Botolph’s Church. The photograph was of the interior of the church, taking in the aisle, altar and main stain glass window. In the upper right hand side of picture there appears to be ghostly image of a figure dressed in period costume in the Choir Loft. Read More »
St James's Church Garlickhythe is an ancient church that was destroyed during the Great Fire of London of September 1666 and rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren (opening on 10 December 1682, though the tower was not finished until 1717). Read More »