You are hereKent
On 14 March 2009 a funeral service and burial was held at Hoo St Werburgh parish church for the remains of a suspected witch, buried seven centuries ago and discovered in an archaeological dig in 2007. On 3rd March 2009, The Daily Mail printed the following article entitled ‘Teenage 'witch' decapitated 700 years ago to be given Christian funeral service.' Read More »
The inhabitants of Strood in Kent were once nicknamed Kentish Longtails. Though this could relate to the belief in medieval mainland Europe that the English had tails, there is a folk tale relating a curse placed on the people of Strood by Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury. Read More »
A Bronze Age cromlech is said to mark the grave of Kit, who was killed in a fifth century battle. The battle is also said to be re-fought by ghostly soldiers.
Leeds Castle is named after Led who is supposed to have been the Chief Minister of King Ethelbert IV of Kent. Originally a Saxon manor house called Esledes, built in AD857, it consisted of a wooden palisade and earthwork enclosure. It was granted to the Godwin family by King Edward the Confessor but did not become a stone castle until Robert Crevecoeur started upgrading it in 1119. Read More »
The following description of a haunting appears in the Perception 9 article on Dartford Heath. ‘The 'Mad Ghost' appears to be of 20th century origin and is very much associated with the asylum that once occupied the area around Bracton Lane. Read More »
Milton Chantry dates from around 1321AD and is thought to be the oldest building in Gravesend. Built on the site of a leper hospital founded in 1189AD, the Chantry, which was once a chantry chapel has been remodelled and has had several uses over the centuries, including a tavern (around 1697), a barracks (18th century) and in World War II a gas decontamination chamber. Read More »
The remains of the 18th century New Tavern Fort are found in the gardens of Major General Charles George Gordon’s* (Born 28 Januaty 1833 0 Died 26 January 1885) Gravesend residence, Fort House. Read More »
Many years ago a nunnery in Newington was the scene of a murder. The abbess was the victim and her staff were to blame. ‘About the end of the eleventh century, it is said, there were certain nuns at the manor of Newington, whose prioress was strangled in bed at night by her cook, and in consequence the King took the manor into his own hands and removed them to Sheppey. Read More »
There is a story attached to Nunfield Farm that it is built on the site of an old nunnery/monastery and that a nun was bricked up alive there. This is mentioned as follows in 'Some Notes on the Road from London to Canterbury in the Middle Ages' (1898) Edited by Henry Littlehales. Read More »
Often mooted as the most haunted village in England, this picturesque Kentish village is certainly steeped in ghost stories, whether based on actual sightings or just modern folklore. Its reputation as a ghost village is not without its problems and the village can be a magnet to thrill seekers and also those with a genuine interest in the paranormal, especially around Halloween. Read More »
Ramhurst Manor House is a Grade II listed private residence on Powder Mill Lane dating from the 16th century or earlier. In the middle of the 19th century some strange experiences in the house resulted in it gaining a reputation for being haunted by members of the Children family who had resided there during the 18th century. Read More »
Reculver is a popular summer holiday resort on the north coat of Kent. It has two key sites of archaeological interest, the remains of a Roman fort and a ruined medieval church. Read More »
Spectral Roman armies where seen marching into the sea during the World War II Watches. The area around Richborough was a Roman port during the occupation and the Roman Fort was very important strategically. Though the fort originally overlooked a port, it is now two miles from the sea.
On 16th October 1963 two young couples were out courting near Saltwood (which has been the scene of numerous strange events) in Kent, when they witnesses a bright star shaped object hovering near some trees. Their attention was considerably aroused by the appearance of a black, headless entity with wings like a bat and webbed feet. The figure came towards them and the couples fled. Read More »
The castle is reputedly haunted by a revenue collector that was killed and then had his body thrown into the moat. He supposedly haunts Scotney seeking revenge on Arthur Darrell, once owner of the castle and the poor mans murderer. Read More »
On 12th October 1912 at Sheerness, Kent, a dark object, that was making strange buzzing noises, was seen passing overhead. This was one of the sightings during the phantom airship wave during the early part of the 1900's.
The Royal Victoria & Bull Hotel on High Street in Dartford is Grade II Listed and dates from 1703. Originally it was a large coaching inn on the London to Canterbury and Dover road. Read More »
"Near this hamlet (Acol) is a long-disused chalk pit...known by the name of 'The Smuggler's Leap.' The tradition of the parish runs that a riding officer from Sandwich, called Anthony Gill, lost his life here...while in pursuit of a smuggler. A fog coming on, both parties went over the precipice...The spot has, of course, been haunted ever since". [Lewis's History of Thanet, by the Rev. Read More »