The Tarxien Temples
The Tarxien Temples were discovered in 1913 or 1914 by local farmers ploughing the field and the sites thorough excavation began in 1915. A World Heritage Site, the megalithic Tarxien Temples are made up of four interlinked structures dating from between 3600BC and 2500BC. The structures are referred to as the South Temple, East Temple and Central Temple.
The fourth is probably the oldest but has little remaining and is not as clearly defined as the other three, which were partially reconstructed during the late 1950s to early 1960s by Sir Themistocles Zammit.