The following extract is taken from an article by Andrew Watt entitled ‘15 ghost sightings in Bedford’, which was published in Bedfordshire on Sunday (10 March 2015). ‘In 1979 in Allhallows, near to the Midland Bank (now HSBC)*, shoppers were surprised to see a mediæval friar in his hooded gown calmly walking down the street meditating on his rosary. From the direction in which he was walking from, it seems likely he had come from Greyfriars which used to be the site of a priory.’**
*12 Allhallows, Bedford MK40 1LJ
** Probably dating from the reign of King Henry II (Born 5 March 1133 – Died 6 July 1189), Caldwell Priory stood on the south bank of the River Great Ouse just outside Bedford. It was closed in 1536 as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries.